Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 24th, 2013, 8:06 pm

QuoteThe sources said Tamerlan Tsarnaev's details were entered into TIDE, a database maintained by the National Counterterrorism Center, because the FBI spoke to him in 2011 while investigating a Russian tip-off that he had become a follower of radical Islamists.The FBI found nothing to suggest he was an active threat, but all the same placed his name on the "Terrorist Identities Datamart Environment" list. The FBI has not said what it did find about Tsarnaev.so to answer the question "Who puts people on the watchlist?", the National Counterterrorism CenterQuoteBut the database, which holds more than half a million names, is only a repository of information on people who U.S. authorities see as known, suspected or potential terrorists from around the world(snip)As of 2008, TIDE contained more than 540,000 names, although they represented about 450,000 actual people, because some of the entries are aliases or different name spellings for the same person. Fewer than 5 percent of the TIDE entries were U.S. citizens or legal residents, according to a description of the database on the NCTC website.i.e. less than about 20,000 people on that list were US citizens or legal residents (which would include people on temporary visas such as students and H1B as well as green card holders, though I would hope they would expel on national security grounds anyone on a temporary visa who made that list)so to answer the question "when do you qualify to be on the list?", when U.S. authorities see you as a known, suspected or potential terrorist from around the worldto answer the question "what are the implications of being on the list?", evidently not muchto answer the question "are people on the list more likely to plan a terrorist attack?", evidently so because there are 1/2 a million names on the list and 6 billion names not on the list, so what 12,000 times more names on the list than not and both the panty bomber and the Boston bomber were on the list and 450,000 people might be a lot, but as stated, less than about 20,000 are actually US citizens or legal residentsQuoteOn September 30, 2012, a total of 36,074 people worked for the FBI, including 13,913 special agents and 22,161 professional staff. Among our employees are 15,649 women, 8,762 minorities, and 1,281 persons with disabilities.I would suggest that they keep an eye on any US citizens or legal residents (that's only 1 or 2 of them for each FBI special agent) and make sure the others don't get in the US.
Last edited by ppauper on April 23rd, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 25th, 2013, 6:46 am

the apple doesn't fall far from the tree

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 25th, 2013, 6:47 am

FOXNEWS: MOTHER 2011: Tamerlan was willing to die for Islam...

exneratunrisk

Boston Marathon 2013

April 25th, 2013, 11:45 am

Oh, that probably ends in a DDR style watch-machine? - over ten for-security centers installed to watch everybody, but also each other .. finally introducing incentives to the individuals to watch their brothers, mothers, grandsons, wives, ... the incentive? Stay alive ... Don't forget a wall.If I hear you singing "we are the people", I know you have achieved the perfect security level

exneratunrisk

Boston Marathon 2013

April 25th, 2013, 11:51 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperthe apple doesn't fall far from the treeThis is a quite stupid saying, if you take scientific results of psychology and neuroscience? Unfortunately it is more scaring - it is culture, social environment, religion, communication, ...

Traden4Alpha

Boston Marathon 2013

April 25th, 2013, 12:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: exneratunriskOh, that probably ends in a DDR style watch-machine? - over ten for-security centers installed to watch everybody, but also each other .. finally introducing incentives to the individuals to watch their brothers, mothers, grandsons, wives, ... the incentive? Stay alive ... Don't forget a wall.If I hear you singing "we are the people", I know you have achieved the perfect security level Yes, it's called FaceBook.

zerdna

Boston Marathon 2013

April 25th, 2013, 12:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: exneratunriskQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperthe apple doesn't fall far from the treeThis is a quite stupid saying, if you take scientific results of psychology and neuroscience? Unfortunately it is more scaring - it is culture, social environment, religion, communication, ...It's not a stupid statement. By itself it's an accurate statement about the expectation. Most of the stories one hears through life is how this apple from a good tree is doing drugs and hookers and how this apple from a bad tree is playing Django or something. These are true facts and they make good stories, but there are also untold stories of deviations in different directions, that are boring because of their obviousness. Just like most stereotypes, this specific stereotype carries information about the mean. It's not all there is to say about the distribution, but it's the most important single number about it. So, the right statement is not that it is stupid, but that it is annoying to you. I believe it's annoying to you because you are conditioned to be annoyed by it without thinking of underlying evidence. Just like you don't like the stereotype, your dislike itself is another stereotype, just less factually based than original one. That's not a problem. The problem is that yours is a dominant stereotype, that is propagated by media, government, and modern Western society overall very hard. As a result this set of stereotypes leads to some practical concequences as opposed to just theoretical disputes with ppauper. One result of that is Marathon blown up in Boston and not in say Tver.
Last edited by zerdna on April 24th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exneratunrisk

Boston Marathon 2013

April 25th, 2013, 5:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zerdnaQuoteOriginally posted by: exneratunriskQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperthe apple doesn't fall far from the treeThis is a quite stupid saying, if you take scientific results of psychology and neuroscience? Unfortunately it is more scaring - it is culture, social environment, religion, communication, ...It's not a stupid statement. By itself it's an accurate statement about the expectation. Most of the stories one hears through life is how this apple from a good tree is doing drugs and hookers and how this apple from a bad tree is playing Django or something. These are true facts and they make good stories, but there are also untold stories of deviations in different directions, that are boring because of their obviousness. Just like most stereotypes, this specific stereotype carries information about the mean. It's not all there is to say about the distribution, but it's the most important single number about it. So, the right statement is not that it is stupid, but that it is annoying to you. I believe it's annoying to you because you are conditioned to be annoyed by it without thinking of underlying evidence. Just like you don't like the stereotype, your dislike itself is another stereotype, just less factually based than original one. That's not a problem. The problem is that yours is a dominant stereotype, that is propagated by media, government, and modern Western society overall very hard. As a result this set of stereotypes leads to some practical concequences as opposed to just theoretical disputes with ppauper. One result of that is Marathon blown up in Boston and not in say Tver.It is simpler, IMO, many sayings take their wisdom from the old sagas and tales ... and a lot of ink factor is used to expain.why they might be right, if they fit to the dreams and wishes and suppress fear. Maybe I am conditioned, but ai am not blind and don't forget, I am the forgetter. I do not care about the repeated nonsense from the past.
Last edited by exneratunrisk on April 25th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 27th, 2013, 10:26 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperthe apple doesn't fall far from the treelike I said

exneratunrisk

Boston Marathon 2013

April 28th, 2013, 6:48 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperthe apple doesn't fall far from the treelike I saidI put you on my short list of world examplists (those who select examples to explain how the wold runs) - the better saying was: the apple turns into a lychee when visiting China Town (copyright, ex...).Examplists also know the wheather of the next 100 years, when looking out of the window and compare to the day one year ago ....As a "chaotist" I counter: a crazy world becomes (inavitably) more crazy (and energetic). Why? It produces more crazy examples that are taken by .....

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 28th, 2013, 9:00 am

Spoke of 'jihad' with mother

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 28th, 2013, 9:01 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperSpoke of 'jihad' with motherditto

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 28th, 2013, 6:24 pm

Homeland Security Committee Chairman: Boston Suspects Were Trained