Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Paul

Boston Marathon 2013

April 16th, 2013, 6:57 am

A terrible, terrible event. The Boston bombs take me back to the days of the frequent IRA bombings in the UK. The IRA was, of course, supported by many in the US. I remember being in NYC on St Patrick's day one year and watching IRA supporters marching, and I felt sick to my stomach. Whoever did this atrocity in Boston, the US will get more support from the UK in this than the UK ever got from the US. So again I feel sick for many reasons. My sympathies go to the families and friends of all the victims.P

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 16th, 2013, 7:05 am

Many British muslims take the same view of the US (and of Britain) as some Irish-Americans took of the UKbritain sends a care package to the US following 9/11

Cuchulainn

Boston Marathon 2013

April 16th, 2013, 7:10 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulA terrible, terrible event. The Boston bombs take me back to the days of the frequent IRA bombings in the UK. The IRA was, of course, supported by many in the US. I remember being in NYC on St Patrick's day one year and watching IRA supporters marching, and I felt sick to my stomach.[...]PIs this the start of a history lesson? OKYou would not have seen the IRA on the streets of NYC if Bloody Sunday had never happened; it was a huge recruitment success. And even worse, the British goverment concealed the truth for 40 years. Luckily, enlightened politicians like Tony Blair and Bill Clinton got the peace process going. In the 60s/70s Tory governments needed the Ulster Unionists' vote no matter what repression was meted out.Did you know what happened to the Civil Rights movement in the 60's in the 6 counties? Britain has not really learned. The last PM was Gladstone who had an inkling of how to solve the "Irish question". // For the record my families come from Belfast and South Armagh. My paternal grandfather was shot 6 times in North Belfast in 1930 (!!) (he survived) by a bunch of Orange thugs just because of his religion. To boot, he could not find work in the booming shipyards that employed 30,000 people. The family moved after the shooting. There was no one to defend him. Where was London? The late Cardinal Tom O'Fiach - whe asked to explain the situation - accurately summed it up once "there are 5% of the population who are causing problems; with one side they are against the SYSTEM, the other 5% are against Catholics". Think about it. You can solve problems if you really want to. Nelson Mandela did.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 15th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 16th, 2013, 7:19 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperMany British muslims take the same view of the US (and of Britain) as some Irish-Americans took of the UKbritain sends a care package to the US following 9/11Generalization and group labeling is the source of racisim. I could easily label you together with any fool into your own little group.Notice that I said "many" and "some", not "most" or "all".Here's a clip from youtube of british muslims burning a US flag during a moment of silence for 9/11 I would hope that those in the US who supported Irish terrorism were a tiny minority, just as I would hope that those in Britain supporting muslim terrorists are a tiny minority
Last edited by ppauper on April 15th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

Boston Marathon 2013

April 16th, 2013, 7:53 am

QuoteAnd let me add this: I hope that not all the people in US propogate muslim hatret as much as you because it's not helping you.I would call him a trouble maker.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 15th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

Boston Marathon 2013

April 16th, 2013, 7:54 am

@pp It was acceptable in the US to support IRA terrorism. It isn't acceptable in the UK to support terrorism against the US. Although it does happen unfortunately. @cuch I think we will have to agree to disagree about the merits of the IRA!!! The Wilmott family motto is "Never forgive, never forget," although age is affecting the latter! I had the pleasure and honour of meeting Lord Tebbit a few months ago. His wife was paralysed by an IRA bomb. He is one of the few remaining honest, conviction politicians and he will never, ever forgive, and having to look after his wife every say he can never forget.P
Last edited by Paul on April 15th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

Boston Marathon 2013

April 16th, 2013, 8:03 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Paul<br@cuch I think we will have to agree to disagree about the merits of the IRA!!! The Wilmott family motto is "Never forgive, never forget," although age is affecting the latter! I had the pleasure and honour of meeting Lord Tebbitt a few months ago. His wife was paralysed by an IRA bomb. He is one of the few remaining honest, conviction politicians and he will never, ever forgive, and having to look after his wife every say he can never forget.PPaul,You misunderand completely. Please don't try to put words into my mouth. Can you take that back?If you read between the lines, I have given some clues why and how the IRA could ever has existed. As I intimated, the Civil Rights movement was brutally crushed and the it was free reign for the likes of Ian P and cohorts. If England have given the same right to the people in Ulster this self-inflicted era lasting almost 45 years would not have happened.

Paul

Boston Marathon 2013

April 16th, 2013, 8:06 am

I take it back, absolutely! I had no intention of insulting anyone! (But what did I say?!?!)P

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 16th, 2013, 8:09 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Paul@pp It was acceptable in the US to support IRA terrorism. It isn't acceptable in the UK to support terrorism against the US. Although it does happen unfortunately. I think that depends upon which circles one moves inIt is certainly acceptable in muslim circles in the UK to support terrorismBoth the Carter and Reagan administrations in the US took action against NORAID1981-5

Cuchulainn

Boston Marathon 2013

April 16th, 2013, 8:10 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulI take it back, absolutely! I had no intention of insulting anyone! (But what did I say?!?!)PThank you.It seems that I was condoning the IRA?? Nowhere did I say that. Usually I call a spade a spade and I try to avoid implicit assumptions and conclusions, even by others. What I am saying is that you (England) could have solved this problem ages ago.

exneratunrisk

Boston Marathon 2013

April 16th, 2013, 8:10 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Paul@pp It was acceptable in the US to support IRA terrorism. It isn't acceptable in the UK to support terrorism against the US. Although it does happen unfortunately. @cuch I think we will have to agree to disagree about the merits of the IRA!!! The Wilmott family motto is "Never forgive, never forget," although age is affecting the latter! I had the pleasure and honour of meeting Lord Tebbit a few months ago. His wife was paralysed by an IRA bomb. He is one of the few remaining honest, conviction politicians and he will never, ever forgive, and having to look after his wife every say he can never forget.PI remember a discussion with an aged jew, who's family was murdered in nazi KZs. "never forget - but forgive" he said ... better "forget - but never forgive" I asked?"never-never" usually leads to the "Sicilian Vendetta" (how to stop?)?