SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 20th, 2013, 9:05 pm

the younger suspect then continued to drive directly over his brother and dragging him through the streetQuoteThe police chief of the Watertown police department shares amazing new details of the chase for the Boston bombings suspects from Thursday night into Friday evening:The police chief, Edward Deveau, describes how cops nearly apprehended the older suspect, and were placing handcuffs on him in the middle of the street Thursday night, when the younger suspect came at officers in a carjacked SUV. The cops were able "to dive out of the way," and the younger suspect then continued to drive directly over his brother and dragging him through the street. That's how the older suspect died, according to the police chief.The younger suspect eventually dumped the SUV and ran into the darkness of the night, according to the police chief. It took nearly 18 hours and massive manhunt to find the younger suspect. He gave himself up after a 20-minute negotiation with the FBI, he said, but not before the suspect fired more rounds at the authorities.The bombers were armed with "pipe bombs and explosives," some of which appear to have been homemade hand-grenades. They had "at least 6 bombs, if you will," says the chief. They also had a some guns.The chief also says that "there was a major explosion in the middle of the gun fight" between officers and the suspects, Thursday night, when a pressure cooker bomb, like the ones used in the Boston Marathon bombings, went off in the residential area.

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 21st, 2013, 9:17 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonQuoteMark Steyn asked a pertinent question on Rush today: does he have ANY relatives left in Chechnya? They all seem to have moved here.indeed, and there are fewer than 200 Chechen immigrants in the US, per this story, and it looks as though they are all in that family

Cuchulainn

Boston Marathon 2013

April 21st, 2013, 10:15 am

And they had access to guns...

traderjoe1976

Boston Marathon 2013

April 21st, 2013, 10:18 am

Didn't the Chechen Islamic groups kill all those school kids in Russia a few years ago?

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 21st, 2013, 10:24 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnAnd they had access to guns...I was wondering when you'd go politicalthe nation's toughest gun laws made MA less safeincidentally>> prohibited anyone convicted of a violent crime or drug trafficking from ever carrying or owning a gun,2009 domestic violence incident involving the older onehttp://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2013/04/bost ... onviction/

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 21st, 2013, 10:25 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976Didn't the Chechen Islamic groups kill all those school kids in Russia a few years ago?those are the guysas I've said before, the big strain in US-Russia relations post the end of the cold war was because Russia cracked down on the Chechens and Clinton-Bush-Obama took them to task for it

Cuchulainn

Boston Marathon 2013

April 21st, 2013, 10:34 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnAnd they had access to guns...I was wondering when you'd go politicalthe nation's toughest gun laws made MA less safeincidentally>> prohibited anyone convicted of a violent crime or drug trafficking from ever carrying or owning a gun,2009 domestic violence incident involving the older onehttp://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2013/04/bost ... nviction/I personally did not consider it to be a political statement. But I don't live in the USA so it is more sensitive for you guys. You will defend the right to carry arms come hell or high water. That's freedom for you.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 20th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 21st, 2013, 4:25 pm

some of the media is reportingFBI Hunts Terror 'Sleeper Cell' Linked to Tsarnaev Brotherswith a similar story at http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... tterQuoteA source close to the investigation said: "We have no doubt the brothers were not acting alone. The devices used to detonate the two bombs were highly sophisticated and not the kind of thing people learn from Google."They were too advanced. Someone gave the brothers the skills and it is now our job to find out just who they were. Agents think the sleeper cell has up to a dozen members and has been waiting several years for their day to come."

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 21st, 2013, 4:28 pm

FBI detains two men at Hidden Brook apartment complexQuoteMayor Jon Mitchell told The Standard-Times Saturday morning that the three people detained by the FBI Friday evening in connection with marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev had been released.(snip)Agents wearing FBI and Department of Homeland Security jackets detained two men at the Hidden Brook apartment complex just hours after releasing three people believed to be associated with Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.A neighbor who declined to identify herself said the same two men were among the three people taken into custody by the FBI Friday afternoon.

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 21st, 2013, 8:31 pm

CBS television quoted investigators as saying that Tsarnaev suffered two serious wounds and had lost a lot of blood. It said investigators had speculated that one wound in the back of his neck could have been a suicide attempt."They say it appears from the wound that he might have stuck a gun in his mouth and fired," said the report, which added that Tsarnaev could understand what those around him were saying.

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 22nd, 2013, 3:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: zerdnaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperbrings to mind the bin laden family being whisked out of the US a few days after 9/11I don't know about that. What i wonder is why the good multicultists of Salon magazine are not boiling with righteous wrath over it. I mean, it' been said already that the Saudi guy is not guilty of anything, some people got even twisted up in a pretzel about the injustice of authorities questioning this dude. Now he is being deported. That seems a much more dramatic measure than an interrogation. These days no ordinary mexican dope pusher can achieve it even after illegally crossing the border and beating up a cop. Where is the anger about this guy's deportation, that's what i am curious about.indeed, and not just salon magazine either.outrun has been quite outraged in this thread about the suggestion that on occasion some muslims might be involved in terrorism,while in the other threadQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperso is the saudi student no longer a suspect ?at 7:30 he was but at 8:30 he wasn'tIt's not surprising, is it? If I were a Saudi Arabian in Boston and some bombs went off near me, I'd run because I'd know that some racists assholes (aka "patriots") would think I was involved.I'm sure T4A is appalled that Obama (whom I suspect that T4A considers a "racists assholes (aka "patriots")" even if you and I do not) has deported this poor guy.It's not enough that we accused him of being a terrorist for simply being unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, Obama has to throw him out of the US as well ?there was a story on fox news website which has now been taken down, but other sites discuss itSaudi National Questioned in Boston was on Terror Watch List

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 22nd, 2013, 3:05 pm

Boston bombing suspects did not have valid handgun licenses

Traden4Alpha

Boston Marathon 2013

April 22nd, 2013, 3:24 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: zerdnaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperbrings to mind the bin laden family being whisked out of the US a few days after 9/11I don't know about that. What i wonder is why the good multicultists of Salon magazine are not boiling with righteous wrath over it. I mean, it' been said already that the Saudi guy is not guilty of anything, some people got even twisted up in a pretzel about the injustice of authorities questioning this dude. Now he is being deported. That seems a much more dramatic measure than an interrogation. These days no ordinary mexican dope pusher can achieve it even after illegally crossing the border and beating up a cop. Where is the anger about this guy's deportation, that's what i am curious about.indeed, and not just salon magazine either.outrun has been quite outraged in this thread about the suggestion that on occasion some muslims might be involved in terrorism,while in the other threadQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperso is the saudi student no longer a suspect ?at 7:30 he was but at 8:30 he wasn'tIt's not surprising, is it? If I were a Saudi Arabian in Boston and some bombs went off near me, I'd run because I'd know that some racists assholes (aka "patriots") would think I was involved.I'm sure T4A is appalled that Obama (whom I suspect that T4A considers a "racists assholes (aka "patriots")" even if you and I do not) has deported this poor guy.It's not enough that we accused him of being a terrorist for simply being unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, Obama has to throw him out of the US as well ?there was a story on fox news website which has now been taken down, but other sites discuss itSaudi National Questioned in Boston was on Terror Watch ListMy point exactly! The watch list isn't very useful because the vast majority of the people on it are non-terrorists.There's about 14,000 sworn agents in the FBI but the watch list has 1 - 2 million names. So even if the FBI stopped investigating robberies, drug-related crime, kidnappings, corruption, fraud, and other domestic crimes, each agent would need to keep tabs on the activities of 70-140 "suspects."

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 22nd, 2013, 3:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: zerdnaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperbrings to mind the bin laden family being whisked out of the US a few days after 9/11I don't know about that. What i wonder is why the good multicultists of Salon magazine are not boiling with righteous wrath over it. I mean, it' been said already that the Saudi guy is not guilty of anything, some people got even twisted up in a pretzel about the injustice of authorities questioning this dude. Now he is being deported. That seems a much more dramatic measure than an interrogation. These days no ordinary mexican dope pusher can achieve it even after illegally crossing the border and beating up a cop. Where is the anger about this guy's deportation, that's what i am curious about.indeed, and not just salon magazine either.outrun has been quite outraged in this thread about the suggestion that on occasion some muslims might be involved in terrorism,while in the other threadQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperso is the saudi student no longer a suspect ?at 7:30 he was but at 8:30 he wasn'tIt's not surprising, is it? If I were a Saudi Arabian in Boston and some bombs went off near me, I'd run because I'd know that some racists assholes (aka "patriots") would think I was involved.I'm sure T4A is appalled that Obama (whom I suspect that T4A considers a "racists assholes (aka "patriots")" even if you and I do not) has deported this poor guy.It's not enough that we accused him of being a terrorist for simply being unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, Obama has to throw him out of the US as well ?there was a story on fox news website which has now been taken down, but other sites discuss itSaudi National Questioned in Boston was on Terror Watch ListMy point exactly! The watch list isn't very useful because the vast majority of the people on it are non-terrorists.There's about 14,000 sworn agents in the FBI but the watch list has 1 - 2 million names. So even if the FBI stopped investigating robberies, drug-related crime, kidnappings, corruption, fraud, and other domestic crimes, each agent would need to keep tabs on the activities of 70-140 "suspects."wiki has the terrorist watchlist at 400,000 namesI'd have thought much higherLooking at just muslims, per wiki>> Approximately 23% of the world's population is Muslim. Current estimates conclude that the number of Muslims in the world is around 1.6 billion400,000 to 1.6 billion would be 1 per 4,000 or 0.05%And the real number is much higher:In Britain for example, 13% "Regard further attacks by Al Qaeda, or similar organizations, on the USA as justified"http://www.danielpipes.org/blog/2005/07 ... slamistAnd not all of those 400,000 are in the USThe point about this Saudi is that he shouldn't have been given a student visa precisely because he was on the terrorist watchlist.It's not a case of (your words) <<the FBI stopped investigating robberies, drug-related crime, kidnappings, corruption, fraud, and other domestic crimes, each agent would need to keep tabs on the activities of 70-140 "suspects.">>, it's a case of not letting people on the list into the US

ppauper

Boston Marathon 2013

April 24th, 2013, 7:17 pm

Quote The surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings has told investigators that he and his brother were headed for New York to party after the attack, the New York police commissioner said Wednesday. A man authorities say was carjacked by the brothers has told investigators that he heard one of them say ?Manhattan,? Commissioner Ray Kelly told reporters. But he said investigators don?t believe the brothers were headed to New York to ?continue what they were doing.?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On