Mother needs something today to calm her down
And though she's not really ill
There's a little yellow pill
She goes running for the shelter of a mother's little helper
And it helps her on her way, gets her through her busy day"

katastrofa

Re: is medicine a science ?

September 19th, 2019, 11:26 am

Many women should have never had children. (That's why I'm not going to have them :-D)

Cuchulainn

September 19th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Stick to Ringnes,

When things go wrong and will not come right
Though you do the best you can
When life looks black as the hour of night
A pint of plain is your only man
When money's tight and hard to get
And your horse has also ran
When all you have is a heap of debt
When health is bad and your heart feels strange
And your face is pale and wan
When doctors say you need a change
When food is scarce and your larder bare
And no rashers grease your pan
When hunger grows as your meals are rare
In time of trouble and lousey strife
You have still got a darling plan
You still can turn to a brighter life

katastrofa

September 19th, 2019, 12:38 pm

I should rather stay away from it if I'm going to succeed with my plan!

katastrofa

September 25th, 2019, 6:08 pm

A new "miracle" drug against cancer, Larotrectinib, was approved by the EU. It's been successfully tested against different cancers, from thyroid to lung - but it works only against those genetically-driven by the NTRK genes fusion (it's an inhibitor of transcription of some freaky proteins by the defected/fusion genes - or something like that). Anyway, there are molecular tests available for NTRK. Unfortunately (fortunately?) not many cancer patients have NTRK, so the news is as usual exaggerated by the press - while it should highlight the need for developing personalised medicine.
Also, coming soon: Darolutamide is a potent androgen receptor antagonist with strong efficacy in prostate cancer models.

katastrofa

October 21st, 2019, 2:32 am

Evaluating Whether Sight Is the Most Valued Sense

"The results suggest that sight is the most valued sense, followed by hearing. This is consistent with convergent evidence from linguistics, showing that words associated with vision dominate the English lexicon. Balance was also ranked highly as the third most important sense ahead of touch, taste, and smell."

Funny, I'd prefer to lose SIGHT rather than hearing!!! (because of music, birds, and all pleasant sounds). The sense of touch is my number one, though. Life wouldn't have sense if one couldn't feel cat's soft fur on the cheek.

Cuchulainn

October 21st, 2019, 3:58 pm

6th sense is most important.

katastrofa

October 21st, 2019, 5:33 pm

Not common sense?

"There are parts of what it most concerns you to know which I cannot describe to you; you must come with me and see for yourself. The vision is for him who will see it."

Cuchulainn

October 22nd, 2019, 8:32 am

Cuchulainn

October 22nd, 2019, 4:58 pm

Evaluating Whether Sight Is the Most Valued Sense

"The results suggest that sight is the most valued sense, followed by hearing. This is consistent with convergent evidence from linguistics, showing that words associated with vision dominate the English lexicon. Balance was also ranked highly as the third most important sense ahead of touch, taste, and smell."

Funny, I'd prefer to lose SIGHT rather than hearing!!! (because of music, birds, and all pleasant sounds). The sense of touch is my number one, though. Life wouldn't have sense if one couldn't feel cat's soft fur on the cheek.

katastrofa

October 22nd, 2019, 11:17 pm

It's not a cat anymore so it doesn't count. My cattraction (attraction to cats) is inspired by their inner beauty.

bearish

October 23rd, 2019, 12:52 am

That's an ex-cat. It is bereft of life. It is pining...

Cuchulainn

October 23rd, 2019, 9:05 am

It's not a cat anymore so it doesn't count. My cattraction (attraction to cats) is inspired by their inner beauty.
You can always tell a tiger by its stripes.

JoWee

October 29th, 2019, 11:14 am

Was always curious to find out how medical industry employees develop things like provacan cbd oil. Maybe you guys know some documentaries or articles related to the subject? For me it would be really interesting

katastrofa

November 10th, 2019, 5:25 pm

Doctors Group Petitions FDA To Require Breast Cancer Warning Label on Cheese

https://p.widencdn.net/9unq1q/2019-10-0 ... eese-FINAL
According to the Centers for Disease Control (“CDC”), breast cancer is among the most common causes of death in women. In 2016, the latest year for which incidence data areavailable, 245,299 new cases of female breast cancer were reported, and 41,487 women died of breast cancer in the United States. The average cost of breast cancer treatment services in the first year after diagnosis is $47,452.

High-fat dairy products, such as cheese, are associated with an increased risk for breast cancer,according to a 2017 study funded by the National Cancer Institute. Researchers examined the dietary intakes of 1,941 women diagnosed with breast cancer and compared them with the diets of women without breast cancer. The results showed that those who consumed the most American, cheddar, and cream cheeses had a 53 percent increased risk for breast cancer. Components in dairy such as insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1) and other growth hormones may be among the reasons for the increased risk for cancer.

Australian researchers who measured hormone levels in 766 postmenopausal women found that those who consumed the most dairy products had 15 percent more estradiol in their bloodstreams, compared with women consuming little or no dairy products. Postmenopausal women with higher levels of estradiol in their bloodstreams have more than double the cancer risk, compared with women with lower levels.

Among women previously diagnosed with breast cancer, consumption of high-fat dairy products is associated with increased mortality risk. The Life After Cancer Epidemiology study included 1,893 women previously diagnosed with early-stage invasive breast cancer. After a median follow-up of 11.8 years, those consuming one or more servings of high-fat dairy products (e.g., cheese, ice cream, whole milk) daily had a 49 percent higher breast cancer mortality, compared with those consuming less than one-half serving daily. This is in keeping with an earlier case-control study including 111 women diagnosed with breast cancer.

New data from the Women’s Health Initiative show that a lower-fat, higher-carbohydrate diet emphasizing fruits, vegetables, and grains resulted in long-term health benefits. Compared with women who made no diet changes, the dietary intervention group had 15 percent lower long-term risk of breast cancer mortality, a 30 percent reduction in heart disease, and 13 percent lower risk of developing insulin-requiring diabetes. Possible mechanisms for these results include increased fiber intake, reductions in hormones associated with breast cancer, and improvements in LDL cholesterol, blood pressure, insulin, and glucose levels. It should be noted that limited evidence suggests that dairy intake in general (that is, not specifically high-fat dairy products) is associated with a lower risk of breast cancer.

This likely is because health-conscious individuals tend to consume high amounts of dairy products due to their successful promotion as “health foods.”
High-fat dairy products are much higher than low-fat dairy products in their concentrations of fat, saturated fat, and estrogenic hormones associated with cancer risk. Although some of the apparent effects of high-fat dairy products may be attributable to other factors, such as persistent organic pollutants and saturated fat present in those products, there is compelling evidence that the presence of reproductive hormones, and not those other substances, causes cancer progression. To ensure that Americans understand the potential significant risks, and resulting long-term costs, of consuming dairy cheese products, the FDA should ensure that the notice above is prominently placed on product packaging and labeling for all dairy cheese products
In other words, being cruel, callous or dumb increases the mortality risk.