Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

ppauper
Topic Author

is medicine a science ?

May 8th, 2013, 3:22 pm

Antibiotics could cure 40% of chronic back pain patientsIt's great that they've figured this out, but on the other hand, they've been cutting people open unnecessarily for years

Traden4Alpha

is medicine a science ?

May 8th, 2013, 3:33 pm

Indeed! What's worse is that those who seemed cured by surgery may have been cured by the antibiotics usually given to surgery patients. Thus, the data on surgical interventions doesn't mean what scientists think it means. The correlation between back surgery and improvement may be due to the third variable.But at least they are up front about it. After all, doctors only claim to practice medicine, they don't claim to do it.

rmax

is medicine a science ?

May 8th, 2013, 4:03 pm

A lot of medicine is cultural. Heart Attack: No; Cancer: No; an inflamed Liver: Yes.

ppauper
Topic Author

is medicine a science ?

December 2nd, 2013, 8:33 pm

obama to be awarded nobel in medicine

zerdna

is medicine a science ?

December 2nd, 2013, 9:32 pm

Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Barack Hussein Obama is an outstanding humanitarian, no doubt -- curing AIDS and lowering oceans is next to nothing for him -- he'll get to it in a few years when he is done fixing his website. Apart from that, i noticed the stuff about antibiotics curing half of back problems. In my advanced years i am no longer annoyed by medicine not being science. I am still surprised though of what kind of unbelievable nonsense people would believe as long as some newspaper published it. Back surgery, to which antibiotics are the proposed substitute solves actual mechanical problems in spine -- cutting herniated disk, fixing disk, increasing vertebrae openings for spinal canal or on the side -- all done to relieve pressure on nerves. I went to look at what the geniuses did for the study and how they defined success of it. So, they took people with pain from slipped disk and gave one group antibiotics for 100 days. I am not kidding, that's 100. Statistically significant percent of them claimed they have decrease of pain. Yeap, and 65% of them also vomited, farted, and had indigestion. These "researches" must have killed all bacteria in the stomach of these people. Not talking about desensetising them to antibiotics. Ouch. I guess you tend to notice pain less if you fart all day. Apart from that they simply relieved a symptom, no more, no less. I read before that antibiotics appear to have both antiinflammatory and analgesic effect, they relieve neuropathic pain. So what? Crystal meth does it too, however aspirin is prescribed for these purpose. Whichever way, how is 'curing' pain equivalent to curing the source of pain? Maybe i need a little gathorade.
Last edited by zerdna on December 1st, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

is medicine a science ?

December 2nd, 2013, 11:46 pm

Maybe you should just take some nutritional supplements and start hitting the gym every day.Post some pictures for us in a few weeks; at least then we would have something to look at around here and you could tell us more about science and medicine from a participant's perspective.
Last edited by trackstar on December 2nd, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zerdna

is medicine a science ?

December 3rd, 2013, 1:48 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarMaybe you should just take some nutritional supplements and start hitting the gym every day.Post some pictures for us in a few weeks; at least then we would have something to look at around here and you could tell us more about science and medicine from a participant's perspective.Hmm, do you have some particular suggestions on the supplements i need to take? Also, are there particular fitness goals i need to hit to earn your approval -- like how many ring handstand pushups would you be OK with me doing? One wonders what on earth do my pictures and gym have to do with quack research and the rest. It's somewhat weird that my fitness is high on your priority list -- it's not the first time some random topic makes you suggest i exercise harder. As far as pictures go, you should go on and post yours first -- you've been hitting the gym hard for a long time, i got to see if result of all this sacrifice is worthwhile before i commit to the same.

trackstar

is medicine a science ?

December 3rd, 2013, 1:51 am

I will think it over (on the photo). Not anabolic steroids for you - just lots of protein and a good mix of vegetables and fruit for all your essential vitamins and minerals.Never mind about the elaborate ring handstand push ups. A thorough all-around fitness routine and adequate time with free weights would be a good start.This could be interesting.
Last edited by trackstar on December 2nd, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper
Topic Author

is medicine a science ?

December 4th, 2013, 9:56 am

Obama better hurry up with that AIDS cure: the Obama adminstration is considering allowing homosexuals to donate blood.The safety of the blood supply should be their paramount concern hereQuoteShould homosexual men ? a group with the highest HIV-infection rates in the nation ? be allowed to donate blood?That?s the question the federal government is considering this week as it re-evaluates whether it should lift the 30-year ban on homosexual blood donation.On Thursday, members of the Department of Health and Human Services Advisory Committee on Blood and Tissue Safety and Availability will revisit the issue.But a leading pathologist is warning that the move would heighten the risk of spreading HIV to other Americans.

ppauper
Topic Author

is medicine a science ?

July 7th, 2014, 9:27 am

Do doctors understand test results? you it's BBC so I assume UKthe point would be that there is a lot of stats in medicine and a lot of physicians don't understand statsif you test a hormone level for a disease,the test might be considered positive if the level is greater than 100 and negative if the level is less than 100If the test comes back "99", you'll be told the test was nega tivewith the thyroid for example, rather than the threshold being statistically based from clinical data, in North America they had a vote on the threshold at a conference

Traden4Alpha

is medicine a science ?

July 10th, 2014, 1:27 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperDo doctors understand test results? you it's BBC so I assume UKthe point would be that there is a lot of stats in medicine and a lot of physicians don't understand statsif you test a hormone level for a disease,the test might be considered positive if the level is greater than 100 and negative if the level is less than 100If the test comes back "99", you'll be told the test was nega tivewith the thyroid for example, rather than the threshold being statistically based from clinical data, in North America they had a vote on the threshold at a conferenceIndeed! It's a real mess.What's interesting is that even this article misses one of the major conditional variables that affects all of the probabilities -- why did the person get the medical test (e.g., mammography or PSA test) in the first place?Even in the case of "routine testing", the statistics are biased because not everyone chooses to go to the doctor and get the test. To the extent that the test-seeking person has reasons for getting the routine test (not everyone does), the probability of disease may be higher. To the extent that test-avoding people are those who practice unsafe health habits, those who get the routine test may be healthier than average. So it depends on the relative numbers of these two groups and the extent that the first group's test-motivating fears are predictive of disease and the extent that the second group's unhealthful habits are causative of disease.

ppauper
Topic Author

is medicine a science ?

October 6th, 2014, 10:11 am

Lab-grown penises ready for testing on men

ppauper
Topic Author

is medicine a science ?

January 23rd, 2015, 9:13 am

not really medicine, but I came across this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_SorboQuoteIn late 1997 while on a publicity tour for Kull the Conqueror and between the fourth and fifth seasons of Hercules, the newly engaged Sorbo experienced an aneurysm in his shoulder which caused three strokes. As a result, he was weakened for the next several years, a condition kept secret from the public while he recovered. During the last two seasons of Hercules (the fifth and sixth, which aired in 1998 and 1999), Sorbo had a reduced filming schedule to accommodate his condition, and more guest stars were featured in the show in order to reduce Sorbo's duties. The strokes, thought to be triggered when chiropractic manipulation of his shoulder released multiple blood clots from the aneurysm, left Sorbo with a permanent 10 percent vision loss, weakness, impaired balance, and migraines. In his 2011 autobiography True Strength, Sorbo revealed the details of his injury and how his wife Sam helped him recover.

Cuchulainn

is medicine a science ?

January 23rd, 2015, 9:57 am

In my 'experience' medicine is trial-and-error, experimentation and alchemy. Experimental science?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 22nd, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fulmerspot

is medicine a science ?

January 23rd, 2015, 10:11 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnIn my 'experience' medicine is trial-and-error, experimentation and alchemy. Experimental science?and leeches.Herr KartoffelKopf