SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper
Topic Author

Re: is medicine a science ?

July 6th, 2018, 4:58 am

not specific to medicine
Beware those scientific studies -- most are wrong, researcher warns
sample size seems to be the issue
Because when studies are replicated, they rarely come up with the same results. Only a third of the 100 studies published in three top psychology journals could be successfully replicated in a large 2015 test.
Medicine, epidemiology, population science and nutritional studies fare no better, Ioannidis said, when attempts are made to replicate them.
If you want to prove a particular theory, I'm guessing you can just take a small sample size and keep rerunning the experiment until you find a cohort that proves it

ppauper
Topic Author

July 20th, 2018, 3:24 pm

ppauper
Topic Author

July 26th, 2018, 5:24 am

Artificial intelligence begins diagnosing patients in Eastern Iowa
for one specific malady, diabetic retinopathy. Scanning images

ppauper
Topic Author

September 2nd, 2018, 7:08 am

Study finds quick internet search of symptoms before doctor visit can lead to better treatment
A report by the Medical Journal of Australia found that patients who turned up to the emergency department after searching their symptoms had a more informed discussion with doctors on the whole, leading to better care.

ppauper
Topic Author

September 9th, 2018, 9:43 am

Collector

September 9th, 2018, 10:15 am

reminded me of something a little similar

Is the patient brain‐dead?
"It is important that emergency physicians recognise the ‘locked‐in' syndrome, so as to prevent the dangerous error of diagnosing brain‐death." in particular people bitten by snakes often misdiagnosed..

"and a possibility of brain death secondary to prolonged hypoxia prior to hospitalisation was being considered"
"in the next 72 hours, patient had recovery of all the neurological functions. "

Locked-in syndrome

". Total locked-in syndrome, or completely locked-in state (CLIS), is a version of locked-in syndrome wherein the eyes are paralyzed as well."

don't forget the Total locked-in syndrome survival ship bias, u only hear about this from patients that got it when far away from most doctors..

Snakebite Mimicking Brain Death

"Clinicians should be aware of this condition in envenomed patients, which mimics brain death"

Collector

September 9th, 2018, 10:32 am

"and they diagnosed him to be brain dead"

"Retrospectively, patient gave the history of snake bite."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6069320/

how many have been buried alive after snake bites?  After a snake-bite, use your time effectively:

1. Try to get to the emergency room before you go into Locked-in-state, likely the locked-in-state then happen just after u reach the emergency room.
2. Or quickly lock yourself inside your house, hide in basement or so before your body go into Locked-in-state. (It can take up to 30 days to wake from it)

Schrödinger's-snake:  brain-dead-brainlive

Cuchulainn

September 9th, 2018, 11:45 am

Antibiotics could cure 40% of chronic back pain patientsIt's great that they've figured this out, but on the other hand, they've been cutting people open unnecessarily for years
Indeed.

Collector

September 9th, 2018, 11:49 am

Antibiotics could cure 40% of chronic back pain patientsIt's great that they've figured this out, but on the other hand, they've been cutting people open unnecessarily for years
Indeed.
or go to chiropractors and u will here similar sounds without the need for plastic...

ppauper
Topic Author

September 17th, 2018, 6:08 am

I remember hearing in the media that we should all take low-dose aspirin daily to prevent heart attacks/strokes/... (the wonder drug that works wonders to quote an old Bayer ad)
Now we hear this
Daily aspirin may be harmful for healthy, older adults, large study finds
because it causes gastric bleeding

Collector

September 17th, 2018, 9:41 pm

I remember hearing in the media that we should all take low-dose aspirin daily to prevent heart attacks/strokes/... (the wonder drug that works wonders to quote an old Bayer ad)
Now we hear this
Daily aspirin may be harmful for healthy, older adults, large study finds
because it causes gastric bleeding
government health bureauc-rats have often supported and pushed such shit. Many of these medicines and knowledge originally comes from ancient plant medicine. But one cannot patent wild plants (Well I guess Monsanto would love gene modify and patent even the trees) .

Find a plant medicine that work. Next claim the plant substance gives too big variation in the dose, so not should be used as medicine directly. Next synthesize it, now finally a standardized dose! Or even better change the molecule structure slightly, patent and synthesize. Do some cancer research on some rats for some months and if no cancer show up and ears dont fall off, well then claim no side effects and that everyone should take it all the time!

Salix alba:
"Hippocrates, Galen, Pliny the Elder and others believed willow bark could ease aches and pains and reduce fevers.[7] It has long been used in Europe and China for the attempted treatment of these conditions.[8] This remedy is also mentioned in texts from ancient Egypt, Sumer, and Assyria.[9] The first "clinical trial" was reported by Reverend Edward Stone, a vicar from Chipping Norton in Oxfordshire, England, in 1763 with a successful treatment of malarial fever with the willow bark.[7][10] The bark is often macerated in ethanol to produce a tincture.

The active extract of the bark, called salicin, after the Latin name Salix, was isolated to its crystalline form in 1828 by Henri Leroux, a French pharmacist, and Raffaele Piria, an Italian chemist, who then succeeded in separating out the acid in its pure state. Salicylic acid, like aspirin, is a chemical derivative of salicin."

I think I cloned quite some Salix alba also in my younger days. Loads of different trees here in my garden...the deers eat a lot of them, 4 deers in my garden all summer.  

dont eat too much willow bark, not good for u, but good to have at hand.

ppauper
Topic Author

September 18th, 2018, 8:46 am

Cure for cocaine addiction in reach, say scientists
I remember reading long ago that sigmund freud tried to cure morphine addiction with cocaine. Replaced one problem with another

bearish

September 18th, 2018, 10:05 am

Yes, please take your medical advice from The Sun! I mean it.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On