Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

bearish

Re: Are You Ready for Some Rugby?

February 3rd, 2020, 3:24 pm

Who knew Kansas City was not in Kansas?! But New York City is still in New York, right? Can’t hurt to check.
Well, in the context of football (although not recently the Super Bowl) the New York Jets and the New York Giants both play their home games in New Jersey!

Cuchulainn

February 3rd, 2020, 3:52 pm

Who knew Kansas City was not in Kansas?! But New York City is still in New York, right? Can’t hurt to check.
I think this belongs in Stupid Questions.

Paul

February 3rd, 2020, 4:08 pm

It's something to do with a game called American Rugby I believe.

Paul

February 3rd, 2020, 4:26 pm

Well, in the context of football (although not recently the Super Bowl) the New York Jets and the New York Giants both play their home games in New Jersey!
No one going for the "Toto, I've a feeling..."?

tw

February 3rd, 2020, 6:22 pm

I've regained my faith in rugby today. They played great. So was Johnny May. He should be playing for the Kiwis.
“France can expect absolute brutality from England, we are going to go out there to make sure they understand what test rugby is. It is about being brutal, it is about being physical and it is about dominating the set piece.” 
Eddie Jones.

I love the smell of hubris in the morning.
You mean, like he bullied the Boks in the final? LOL

And congrats to Shaun Edwards. 
That kick into touch by Bouthier was sublime.

The build of the French players 5'10" 13 stone on average that's only 80 kilos... then it is possible to play real rugby.
I think the Australian motivational technique does not translate smoothly to the North Hemisphere.
Big mouthing to the media about how you will beat up the opposition is Not The Done Thing.

Edwards' glowering is maybe more effective.

Good to see Les Bleus perhaps turning a corner.  Some strangely familiar names also... N'Tamack , Penaud...

Who will win this year? Suddenly it looks more open then ever.
Last edited by tw on February 3rd, 2020, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

February 3rd, 2020, 9:22 pm

You never hear the Kiwis talking like that, even when they win or lose.
Wales will be difficult to beat. England in back in the Will Carlton era. Ireland plays a same of attrition. It's so boring.

Eddie Jones should go.

tw

February 7th, 2020, 8:09 pm

unpermitted Titi's in a built up area are a clear danger 

what do you think about wales vs. ire?  how are the Irish fans taking to Farrell (senior)? 

Cuchulainn

February 7th, 2020, 8:25 pm

I think Wales will be too strong. I'm not in the country but I suppose people are getting used to a new coach. I reckon he should do OK. At least it is not the impish Eddie Jones.....................................

I can't get to see the match because it is not on BBC. 

Paul

February 7th, 2020, 8:45 pm

How do you get BBC outside the UK?

tw

February 7th, 2020, 8:47 pm

I think Wales will be too strong. I'm not in the country but I suppose people are getting used to a new coach. I reckon he should do OK. At least it is not the impish Eddie Jones.....................................

Good to hear Farrell is not causing any upset. Ireland is clearly a more cosmopolitan place then Wales. Ireland and Scotland have both been coached by Englishmen. Also Lancaster is popular at Leinster, I read.
I suspect Wales are as likely to be coached by an Englishman as England are as likely to be coached by a Welshman.

Cuchulainn

February 7th, 2020, 8:51 pm

How do you get BBC outside the UK?
I turn the TV and press 61, btw 62 is BBC 2

We have 50 channels, most are rubbish. Except RT and CCTV.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on February 7th, 2020, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

February 7th, 2020, 8:55 pm

Good to hear Farrell is not causing any upset. Ireland is clearly a more cosmopolitan place then Wales. Ireland and Scotland have both been coached by Englishmen. Also Lancaster is popular at Leinster, I read.
I suspect Wales are as likely to be coached by an Englishman as England are as likely to be coached by a Welshman.
Irish people don't have any problems with English people. Jack Charlton was Irish soccer coach and was hugely popular.

Just look at the reception the English rugby team got during the height of the Troubles in 1973.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVm5KyioYMU

Those were the days when everyone wore sheepskin coats. We all watched Saturday rugby in the Long Hall which has the best Guinness in Dublin.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on February 7th, 2020, 9:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Paul

February 7th, 2020, 8:57 pm

That explains the brainwashing!

I hope you pay your licence fee.

Cuchulainn

February 7th, 2020, 9:18 pm

That explains the brainwashing!

I hope you pay your licence fee.
LOL, we don't know any better.

I'm almost 75 so I will be exempt from a fee. I'm sure Vodaphone pays the Tax Office from my monthly fee.
In the 60s we had free ITV, BBC, Thames, etc. because we were on the border. And it was all FREE. However, the folk across the border have to pay the fee because they are loyal British subjects. It's only fair.

There's a BBC channel 22 with arty stuff but it is above my head, I think its is for the elites.