May 12th, 2018, 6:01 pm

Leinster 15 Racing 12

Cuchulainn

Re: Are You Ready for Some Rugby?

February 28th, 2019, 11:59 am

trackstar

February 28th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Hopefully they can sort it out in a way that is fair to the players and preserves the integrity of the sport.

More people here are becoming aware of it and I'm certainly happy to be able to get live rugby games on cable TV now! 

tw

February 28th, 2019, 9:48 pm

I have a sneaking suspicion that the CTE/concussion risk for successful players is going to lead to their being a lot more self selective 
about the number of games played.

katastrofa

March 13th, 2019, 9:16 pm

I don't know much about this game, which is probably why I saw some similarity between a fargment of a rugby match I watched some time ago and today's Parliament sitting.

Cuchulainn

March 13th, 2019, 9:32 pm

I don't know much about this game, which is probably why I saw some similarity between a fargment of a rugby match I watched some time ago and today's Parliament sitting.
Rugby has rules.

tw

March 13th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Rugby has rules.
Rugby has laws

Cuchulainn

March 13th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Rugby has rules.
Rugby has laws
Fair point. Another difference, then. And sometimes they snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. And I expect a repeat on March 29 around 18.00 EST.

tw

January 21st, 2020, 11:55 pm

Structuring 101

I don't know if you sporting types have been reading about the self-inflicted woes of Saracens RFC
They currently play in the English Premiership which has a salary cap, in a similar manner to other leagues/sports.
After an audit they were found to have breached the cap, and heavily fined and given a hefty points deduction in the league.
However their expensive players, by and large remained contracted.
A google search will reveal many articles e.g. here.
Reports now say they were given the ultimatum open your books or be relegated  and that they chose relegation.
(clearly they have been caught red handed).

So the question is, for gifted practitioners and students of finance, what were the structured finance solutions they
could have pursued? 
Reputedly the player loan market, is not sufficiently deep at this point in the season, to be able to shift the players under contract.

If Greece was able to get EU membership, somehow there must be a derivative solution.

I can't help think since the cap is (in the main) driven by the aggregate wage bill, there is a simple arithmetic way to 
satisfy the cap and employment contract law.

Cuchulainn

January 22nd, 2020, 9:48 am

They were cheating. That's a way to win the European Cup.

If Greece was able to get EU membership, somehow there must be a derivative solution.
Reasoning by analogy??

FaridMoussaoui

January 22nd, 2020, 10:27 am

The Saracens were (are) playing wonderful rugby (half of the players are in the England team).

For Greece, it was for entering the Euro zone (thanks to Goldman balance sheet manipulations).

PS: I am a Springboks fan and watched the final England-SA almost 4 times since November 2.

tw

January 22nd, 2020, 11:01 am

The Saracens were (are) playing wonderful rugby (half of the players are in the England team).

For Greece, it was for entering the Euro zone (thanks to Goldman balance sheet manipulations).

PS: I am a Springboks fan and watched the final England-SA almost 4 times since November 2.
The interesting narrative i think is of plucky Exeter , totally unfashionable, salary cap not an issue, wins league year after year but loses in this winner take all final that the RFU bolts onto the structure

However, as a card carrying Welshman, i am formally indifferent to the rugby affairs of the Saesneg.

But just off the top of my head, i wonder if the RFU accountants have a good treatment for forward settled performance indexed pay? Or are good with SPVs?
Or to be completely in your face cynical the owner of Sarries could sign himself as a player and pay himself a negative salary.

Cuchulainn

January 22nd, 2020, 11:47 am

Saracens and SA are battering rams. Boring.

Will be ever return to French rugby of the 90s or Welsh rugby of the 70s?

tw

January 22nd, 2020, 12:17 pm

Saracens and SA are battering rams. Boring.

Will be ever return to French rugby of the 90s or Welsh rugby of the 70s?
What, you mean the ability to run around players, instead of into them?  Radical!

The prototype rugby physqiue should be Simon Geogheghan  circa 1990, IMHO.

Cuchulainn

January 22nd, 2020, 2:02 pm

Indeed; Geoghan was like a "trout up a ..." and Gareth Edwards of course. And Blanco.
Phil Orr also played a decade earlier. He was in my maths group at TCD.

I don't know where rugby players get the muscles. Boxers and judokas have muscles but not so inflated.

I remember this one

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k2WRZf7Lqo