Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Any Quants into Martial Arts?

May 1st, 2015, 9:38 am

I had my first Aikido lesson last night. You can compensate for technique in brute sports like ju-jutsu and boxing but in Aikido it is all completely different. One issue: learning to breathe properly is a must. A boxer/kareteka has no chance against Aikido.judo vs aikido == stalemate?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 30th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

May 1st, 2015, 10:43 am

Kenjiro Hori is finance prof at Birbeck, black belt karate and played a role in 47Ronin. I believe he was the one who did many of the fighting scenes.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 30th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

May 1st, 2015, 11:54 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Cuchulainn One issue: learning to breathe properly is a must. It's always about the kommas,,, isn't it?

Cuchulainn

May 1st, 2015, 1:05 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: Cuchulainn One issue: learning to breathe properly is a must. It's always about the kommas,,, isn't it?Indeed, sometimes a break is needed from that stream of koncushionscussness.

katastrofa

May 2nd, 2015, 9:57 am

@"One issue: learning to breathe properly is a must."I have bradycardia. While I'm perfectly healthy and feeling well, my heart beats only 50-52 times per minute. The doctors told me it's from training intensive sports from early age (I already had it diagnosed in highschool). Apparently it's typical in people training martial arts, because of the way the training affects breathing. I sometimes get an impression that I can control my heart rate :-)

Cuchulainn

May 3rd, 2015, 7:19 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofa@"One issue: learning to breathe properly is a must."I have bradycardia. While I'm perfectly healthy and feeling well, my heart beats only 50-52 times per minute. The doctors told me it's from training intensive sports from early age (I already had it diagnosed in highschool). Apparently it's typical in people training martial arts, because of the way the training affects breathing. I sometimes get an impression that I can control my heart rate :-)I'm no expert but a slow heartbeat is not necessarily bad. In judo randori the heatbeat can become very high (> 180 bpm??) while when you rest for an interval before the next session it feels as it the heart beat drops donsiderably (btw it's a great feeling). Breathing should always come from the kiai and this is where the strength is.Have you measured heartbeat after a tough round of boxing? HRVThe best training IMO is maybe 5-6 times to get to 180 bpm for 2-3 minutes, with intervals to recover (disclaimer: I don't do this so much anymore even tho' it is great fun).QuoteBased on their review, the authors suggested short, intense randori or drill sessions, with longer rest intervals to improve anaerobic fitness, while longer sessions at lower intensity are more appropriate for improving aerobic fitness. The authors found that the potential for overtraining is high enough to warrant ongoing monitoring of immune function, markers of muscle damage, and other potential danger signs. Not sure where the breathing issue fits in here.. the goal would be to have a more balanced intake.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on May 2nd, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

May 3rd, 2015, 9:14 am

I think it's about diaphragmatic breathing, as simple as that. My first instructor put a lot of (nomen omen) pressure on that :-)I will try to measure my BPM/HRV after a really intensive training. I've never had it done.
Last edited by katastrofa on May 2nd, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

June 19th, 2015, 10:26 am

I forgot to boast here that I had my eye bruised during the last sparring :-D

Cuchulainn

June 19th, 2015, 1:31 pm

I am doing judo tonight in the basement of this Japanese Buddhist temple in NYC. The statue came from Hiroshima 1945. My second session this week.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 18th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

June 19th, 2015, 1:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaI forgot to boast here that I had my eye bruised during the last sparring :-DCongrats. I would say it looks cute. Do you have a photo?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 18th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

June 20th, 2015, 11:31 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaI forgot to boast here that I had my eye bruised during the last sparring :-DCongrats. I would say it looks cute. Do you have a photo?I will post proof in the evening after I can scrape off the layers of makeup covering the bruise. I have to first tank the husband up in the nearby pub...Beer, husband, bruised eye -- it sounds like some veiled domestic violence story :-)
Last edited by katastrofa on June 19th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

June 20th, 2015, 12:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaI forgot to boast here that I had my eye bruised during the last sparring :-DCongrats. I would say it looks cute. Do you have a photo?I will post proof in the evening after I can scrape off the layers of makeup covering the bruise. I have to first tank the husband up in the nearby pub...Beer, husband, bruised eye -- it sounds like some veiled domestic violence story :-)Nice! is it a bit blue?I have sciatica just now which means I cannot do randori tachiwaza but newaza is possible, however.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 19th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

June 20th, 2015, 10:37 pm

It was reddish blue when fresh, then the centre turned yellow with green accents enclosed by a dark purple ring. Now (after over a week) the centre colour is almost gone and the ring becomes wider and irregular, but still has an intensive colour. The nose gets swollen in the evening, but a befriended doctor checked it and it's fine... This obviously isn't me in the picture, but her bruise looks suspiciously the same as mine (possibly the same sparring partner): https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MxGG ... pgSciatica sounds very unpleasant... Where I come from, mudbaths are believed to be a good remedy for this kind of afflictions (it's possible that some minerals from the mud, usually applied warm, are absorbed by the body, which altogether stimulates healing). The application is quite complicated, dirty and time consuming, though. My husband took an arrow in the knee last year and physiotherapy gave great results (but you need to find a good physiotherapist).

AnalyticalVega
Topic Author

June 21st, 2015, 2:31 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaIt was reddish blue when fresh, then the centre turned yellow with green accents enclosed by a dark purple ring. Now (after over a week) the centre colour is almost gone and the ring becomes wider and irregular, but still has an intensive colour. The nose gets swollen in the evening, but a befriended doctor checked it and it's fine... This obviously isn't me in the picture, but her bruise looks suspiciously the same as mine (possibly the same sparring partner): https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MxGG ... pgSciatica sounds very unpleasant... Where I come from, mudbaths are believed to be a good remedy for this kind of afflictions (it's possible that some minerals from the mud, usually applied warm, are absorbed by the body, which altogether stimulates healing). The application is quite complicated, dirty and time consuming, though. My husband took an arrow in the knee last year and physiotherapy gave great results (but you need to find a good physiotherapist).yep, definitely Ukrainian that pic is.

ExSan

June 25th, 2015, 6:22 pm

x
°°° About ExSan bit.ly/3U5bIdq °°°