Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

ppauper

Re: Chatroom

April 10th, 2018, 9:18 am

Here is the President Jinping complete speech.
At the beginning (around 1'10''), he quotes the "lyrics of an Ireland folk song" (?)
Hainan not Ireland!
that's where they are

tags
Topic Author

April 10th, 2018, 10:25 am

Here is the President Jinping complete speech.
At the beginning (around 1'10''), he quotes the "lyrics of an Ireland folk song" (?)
Hainan not Ireland!
that's where they are
My bad. LOL. 

tags
Topic Author

May 26th, 2018, 11:29 am

From a yesterday's ags market report:
Commerce Secretary Ross is heading to China and will arrive on Saturday. Ross and his negotiating team will press forward on trade talks in an effort to fill in more exact details around the general framework that was agreed to in the US last weekend.
In the meatime, Reuters was reporting:
 U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross will visit China early next month for another round of talks amid ongoing trade frictions between the world’s two largest economies.
The 2 articles doesn't quite match in terms of the timing/agenda. Is the (actual) detailed agenda (when/where/who) of Sec Ross available online pls?

Traden4Alpha

May 26th, 2018, 11:52 am

Two interpretations:

1) Ross is going to China twice
2) "Saturday" refers next Saturday which is June 2 which is "early next month."

tags
Topic Author

May 26th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Two interpretations:

Interesting, thank you.  The first report is from a US source, it was published by 5:00am (local time) yesterday (Friday).
"Saturday" in US English would then rather refer to the 2nd Saturday from there instead of the closest Saturday going forward?
(in a similar context,  the day "Saturday" actually refers to would be ambiguous in French)

ppauper

May 26th, 2018, 12:52 pm

I can't find his schedule online, but CNBC says
Ross will visit China from June 2 to June 4, the official Xinhua news agency reported.
June 2 would be not this Saturday (which is today now) but a week Saturday

ppauper

May 26th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Two interpretations:

Interesting, thank you.  The first report is from a US source, it was published by 5:00am (local time) yesterday (Friday).
"Saturday" in US English would then rather refer to the 2nd Saturday from there instead of the closest Saturday going forward?
(in a similar context,  the day "Saturday" actually refers to would be ambiguous in French)
no, Saturday means the closest Saturday going forward. Also called :"this Saturday"

Traden4Alpha

May 26th, 2018, 1:39 pm

As ppauper mentioned, "Saturday" means the closest Saturday going forward

Of course, context matters. If earlier text of that Friday ag report is speaking of the upcoming week or month, the "Saturday" might be the Saturday of that upcoming week.

Or perhaps the ag report writer was just sloppy or wrong when they implied Ross was arriving on the last Saturday in May.

tags
Topic Author

May 26th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Thank you both for your comments. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find Sec Ross agenda online. What a shame! The agenda/timing of this new round of CN/US meetings is of paramount importance to me.

tags
Topic Author

May 27th, 2018, 7:18 pm

Thank you both for your comments. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find Sec Ross agenda online. What a shame! The agenda/timing of this new round of CN/US meetings is of paramount importance to me.
NYT
China says U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross will arrive in Beijing on June 2 for more talks on settling a sprawling dispute over technology policy and China's trade surplus with the United States.

An announcement by the official Xinhua News Agency on Friday said the two sides will "continue negotiations on Chinese-U.S. economic and trade issues" but gave no details. It said Ross' visit will begin June 2 and end June 4
It was quite painful to get this piece of information. 谢谢中国!Shouldn't US citizens (tax payers) have easy access to the detailed agendas of their political leaders?

ppauper

May 27th, 2018, 7:27 pm

NYT
China says U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross will arrive in Beijing on June 2 for more talks on settling a sprawling dispute over technology policy and China's trade surplus with the United States.

An announcement by the official Xinhua News Agency on Friday said the two sides will "continue negotiations on Chinese-U.S. economic and trade issues" but gave no details. It said Ross' visit will begin June 2 and end June 4
It was quite painful to get this piece of information. 谢谢中国!Shouldn't US citizens (tax payers) have easy access to the detailed agendas of their political leaders?
those are the dates that I posted yesterday!
Ross will visit China from June 2 to June 4, the official Xinhua news agency reported.

tags
Topic Author

May 27th, 2018, 7:40 pm

NYT

those are the dates that I posted yesterday!
Ouch!  sorry for that. I scrolled down, not seeing your message (you then posted 2 in a row, I just saw the second one).
Anyway I don't understand why the righteous Trump Administration doesn't publish on the internet detailed agendas of its teams (apologies if they actually are available online ; my google searches were vain)

president due to meet his mates to discuss tariffs. Is there an exact agenda/meeting time, please?
Merci!
Last edited by tags on June 14th, 2018, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

tags
Topic Author

June 4th, 2018, 5:28 pm

I need to buy a new PC laptop. 14" Screen or so. For web surfing, running jupyter notebooks and other computer programming tasks, and a bit of database related stuff. Rather mid/low price range.
I haven't read anything on PC components/laptop performances for decades (litterally). I'm thus feeling a bit lost when it comes to picking up a new laptop.
Last laptop I bought was an Acer back in 2008 (it's on the table in front of me) and I was quite happy with it.
Do you know a useful website with computer tests/performances comparison, etc... ?
I've come across a couple of websites, but didn't find them so helpful.
Merci!

tags
Topic Author

June 11th, 2018, 7:51 pm

I need to buy a new PC laptop. 14" Screen or so. For web surfing, running jupyter notebooks and other computer programming tasks, and a bit of database related stuff. Rather mid/low price range.
I haven't read anything on PC components/laptop performances for decades (litterally). I'm thus feeling a bit lost when it comes to picking up a new laptop.
Last laptop I bought was an Acer back in 2008 (it's on the table in front of me) and I was quite happy with it.
Do you know a useful website with computer tests/performances comparison, etc... ?
Merci!
Really no suggestions?

Traden4Alpha

June 11th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Merci!
Really no suggestions?
Sorry, we've only bought Apple computers for 33 years.