SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Re: Your rants here

November 5th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Perhaps because the leaves cut off sunlight and air from the grass, and it dies. It's a way of preventing the weed growth on ecological farms.
Nature knows better. 

katastrofa

November 8th, 2019, 11:18 am

When it's faster to get to your plane by foot (:
No pavements :-/
Attachments
207422B4-9315-4276-B546-C64FF5E09C67.jpeg

Paul

November 12th, 2019, 12:23 am

“Can I get you anything, boss?”

“Where are you going today, boss?”

“Can I carry those for you, boss?”

trackstar

November 12th, 2019, 12:53 am

“Can I get you anything, boss?”

“Where are you going today, boss?”

“Can I carry those for you, boss?”
That may be a sign of anxiety - so a little empathy on your part, if you can muster it, might help.

Once upon a time, I had a staff of ten people helping out around here in various shifts (not all at once, but still...)

The guidance on what was needed was very clear, they knew they could always ask if they were not sure, and they also knew I wanted them all to get along well with each other. Minimal drama, thank you.

So, it was harmonious, significant work was accomplished, and they were greatly appreciated.

Being an entrepreneur and consultant, you might understand a certain side of it.

On a different note, here is a useful book - you can read it too!  Many great tips from a man much like our own Wilfrid.  

The Butler's Guide to Running the Home, and Other Graces

"This carefully detailed, charmingly illustrated, eminently useful volume offers important insights and techniques, including how to:

Wipe a glass—or a chandelier—until it sparkles *** Fold napkins precisely—in six different ways *** Polish furniture—or silver—to a mirror finish *** Lay a beautiful table and serve a meal impeccably *** Brush, buff, and maintain any manner of clothes and footwear *** Fold and pack for a trip—for business or pleasure *** Select and pour wine *** Stage “impromptu” romantic picnics *** And, among other graces, open a door soundlessly, roll an umbrella perfectly, and iron a newspaper"

And back to my warm dungeon now, where the wine glasses sparkle, just so.  Be well, people.

PS: And I'm not going to get anything else for you - you're on your own now. Good luck! : D

Bittersweet Symphony

Paul

November 12th, 2019, 1:54 am

I can think of many reasons for the “boss,” but anxiety would be pretty low down on that list!

katastrofa

November 12th, 2019, 1:56 am

Alternatively, he doesn't know what do to at work and gets frustrated about it. Come up with some tasks/workplan or you'll come across as a bad boss.
Ask him to call you "Your Heartlessness" :-)

Paul

November 12th, 2019, 2:04 am

What, a taxi driver who doesn’t know what to do at work? I’ve never driven a taxi but I think I could easily grasp the essentials of the job.

trackstar

November 12th, 2019, 2:05 am

I can think of many reasons for the “boss,” but anxiety would be pretty low down on that list!
Ah, I see. I thought it was the constant querying.  But it is "Boss."

Well, as the commercial says, "Who do you want to be today?"

Dr. and Mrs. P. Wilmott
Mr. Wilmott
Your Excellency
Doc 
Memsahib?

I like Memsahib for you, but that is probably really offensive in these ultra-PC post-colonial times.

The gender discrepancy is just part of the fun!

Paul

November 12th, 2019, 2:16 am

Yes, it’s the “boss.”

It sometimes comes with a hint of sarcasm. As if to say “You think you are superior, don’t you? Well think again.” When I’m actually thinking “In which folder is the email with the address?”

Or it can be innocent. But then it feels very unPC, as if I’m the owner of some cotton fields. Makes me feel uncomfortable.

trackstar

November 12th, 2019, 2:28 am

hasn't been told and boss is a neutral default (with nice sarcastic optionality)

Paul - much too familiar, especially over there, with your caste system such as it is.
Dr. Wilmott - formal (but obviously would be a better default)
Doc?

well, these are small problems compared to deciding what is for dinner and should I finish raking the leaves tonight or wait until tomorrow (when it will be snowing).  The current leaf pile here is about 15x25 and 3 feet high.

I did think of hiring someone, but then what would he call me...? 

Vale for now!

katastrofa

November 12th, 2019, 2:31 am

Yes, it’s the “boss.”

It sometimes comes with a hint of sarcasm. As if to say “You think you are superior, don’t you? Well think again.” When I’m actually thinking “In which folder is the email with the address?”

Or it can be innocent. But then it feels very unPC, as if I’m the owner of some cotton fields. Makes me feel uncomfortable.
I have a similar problem. (They call me "Love".)

Paul

November 12th, 2019, 4:00 am

I can see that making someone uncomfortable but it is usually kindly meant.

Cuchulainn

November 12th, 2019, 5:33 am

Old Jewish saying " I wish you many personnel".

Cuchulainn

November 12th, 2019, 5:35 am

Yes, it’s the “boss.”

I have a similar problem. (They call me "Love".)
You should get out of London every now and again. It's different in the North and Midlands.

katastrofa

November 12th, 2019, 11:20 pm

I've started using an iPhone app called Gett to call taxis. More convenient than Uber (especially when you have the whole 7-seater for yourself).
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On