Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

tagoma

Re: Your rants here

January 26th, 2022, 9:30 pm

katastrofa

February 1st, 2022, 4:04 pm

I've been a bit of a fan of genetic testing (even though I realise the problems of various nature), but last week I got a reality check. I had a high-school friend, whom I liked a lot. We loved to talk about trivia and spent time together, even if many other teenagers avoided her - perhaps because she was a bit slow and clumsy, and sometimes unpredictable (very spontaneous), which might have spooked them out. She liked to cling to people, so we got to know each other very well. I think we were close friends, even if no deeper sisterhood of souls was involved. She always smiled back at me when I met her and had the most genuine laugh, which made me forget about all worries. I tried to help her at school with grammar and maths, but it wasn't easy - we always ended up giggling and gossiping. At the time I thought she was just lazy, but I couldn't be angry at her (and she was smart enough to know it - so we spent time having fun and then I quickly did her homework to spare us both the suffering :-D). I got in touch with her last week and she was just the same: friendly and giggly. She told me that she was diagnosed with a genetic disease, Angelman syndrome from what I understood. I panicked and googled it in front of her :shock: Her partner left her because of this apparently, and she decided not to have children as she would surely pass it to them possibly in a harsher form (it's indeed an autosomal dominant disease). She has a simple job (some cruel person actually managed to force her to do something!), not worse than many yet-to-be-diagnosed(?); she lives with her parents (but it's pretty normal these days); the only thing which distinguished her for me were her teeth, as if childish and with a cute small diastema.
I read about the syndrome and everything fit in - basically a normal person (life expectancy not affected), only more spontaneous, excitable and not sparing a good laugh at any occasion. Her cute diastema was also on the list, and that she wasn't physically fit (but she loved singing and dancing). The person I knew very long, whom I loved for all quirks and for the bright giggling face showing the cute diastema, next to whom faded all the nasty grimaced mugs always having some problem with me... Now some genetic test is trying to peel this personality off her bones and call it a "syndrome". Sadly, I sensed she was lost and seemed to think there's some unfairness in getting such a diagnosis (no idea why she got the test in the first place!). I agree with her. We ended up joking about what mutations made me "me" and other people themselves (we focused on Boris Johnson for some reason).
I'm mostly wondering if it's moral to discourage people with this kind of a genetic "burden" from procreating. So many mean idiots in the world and there's no universally recognised label to put on them to warn the unaware.

Paul

February 9th, 2022, 6:54 pm

I miss the old days. You could enter an illegal war and kill hundreds of thousands and still get a knighthood. Now, be seen standing near, yes near, an open bottle of Tesco’s finest Prosecco and it’s career over.

bearish

February 9th, 2022, 9:08 pm

But you must admit, there was tinsel involved, too!

katastrofa

February 10th, 2022, 3:40 pm

I miss the old days. You could enter an illegal war and kill hundreds of thousands and still get a knighthood. Now, be seen standing near, yes near, an open bottle of Tesco’s finest Prosecco and it’s career over.
Europe is at the brink of repeating the mistake we made with Hitler and the public debate bubbles over a cheap prosecco? BTW, Tesco's cheapest Cava brut is actually way better than the Finest line, and in fact better than many expensive bubbles (incl. the champagnes/apple juices sold in the UK). I once got the last £5 bottle from the shelf minutes before New Year's Eve and never wasted money on overpriced £1xxx buzz again.

bearish

February 10th, 2022, 4:26 pm

I definitely prefer cava to prosecco. The more expensive stuff is better savored in peace and quiet than in your typical holiday party setting.

katastrofa

February 10th, 2022, 4:58 pm

I think I can only appreciate good red wine, and good means Italian. We had a personal joke at home that expensive French champagne is made of our apples (long ago we sold a lot of apples to France and my dad got a bottle of champagne as a gift from someone; I tasted the drink the first time in my life and likened it to our home-brewed cider!)

Paul

March 5th, 2022, 8:51 am

John-Boy Walton is 70!!!!!!!

ExSan

March 7th, 2022, 4:03 pm

:? :o
 what!!!
°°° #OpenToWork https://bit.ly/3klz5ys <--- my Tweets °| ° |°My Portfolio ---> https://bit.ly/3siPhoZ #OpenToWork °°°

tagoma

March 11th, 2022, 6:08 pm

If I had $1 everytime someone spelled the country Columbia....

Paul

March 11th, 2022, 7:05 pm

what!!!
You were a bit too "fast on the trigger," if you know what I mean, lover boy.

ExSan

March 11th, 2022, 7:25 pm

what!!!
You were a bit too "fast on the trigger," if you know what I mean, lover boy.
:D  lover boy!!!  :lol:    Saludos Paul 
°°° #OpenToWork https://bit.ly/3klz5ys <--- my Tweets °| ° |°My Portfolio ---> https://bit.ly/3siPhoZ #OpenToWork °°°