Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Collector

Re: Your rants here

August 18th, 2020, 10:55 am

pls dont paint my nails, I got afraid now that P.W. will call me night and day, mostly night....we all have our paranoias!!

Collector

August 25th, 2020, 12:13 pm

The Aliens are already here, I never seen so many, many years since I even seen one, some very aggressive, or possibly just very friendly as they even walk in my door and refuses to walk out, some with tail, some without tail..

be aware they walk also horizontally on smooth surface! close windows at night if not want to wake up with one!
Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 2.09.31 PM.png
they are planning something..when will they take their magic pill and grow 100x 

Cuchulainn

August 25th, 2020, 1:35 pm

We have two fearless cats for that kind of stuff.
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

katastrofa

August 25th, 2020, 1:41 pm

The Aliens are already here, I never seen so many, many years since I even seen one, some very aggressive, or possibly just very friendly as they even walk in my door and refuses to walk out, some with tail, some without tail..

be aware they walk also horizontally on smooth surface! close windows at night if not want to wake up with one!

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 2.09.31 PM.png

they are planning something..when will they take their magic pill and grow 100x 
It's just me. Without the magic this time.

katastrofa

August 25th, 2020, 1:44 pm

So, there's a guy sitting next to me at the train station, begging me for my phone number. Maybe ditching the bra wasn't such a good idea... Ha det bra - have that bra, as they say in Norsk to remind their women to wear one.
Sorry for the vulgar post, but why aren't women bothering men like that?? Or are they? I'd never! Even Aquaman!

bearish

August 25th, 2020, 2:38 pm

So, there's a guy sitting next to me at the train station, begging me for my phone number. Maybe ditching the bra wasn't such a good idea... Ha det bra - have that bra, as they say in Norsk to remind their women to wear one.
Sorry for the vulgar post, but why aren't women bothering men like that?? Or are they? I'd never! Even Aquaman!

Hmm - I’m just a sample of one, but I can report a total lack of women bothering me like that. This is probably a situation where ceteris fails to be paribus, though.

katastrofa

August 25th, 2020, 3:43 pm

You mean that you wear the bra?

bearish

August 25th, 2020, 4:02 pm

In my local dialect there was never a bra. The bidding of farewell would be “ha’de!” (the t would be silent to begin with).

katastrofa

August 25th, 2020, 4:40 pm

I was just trying to guess why ceteris failed to be paribus on that occasion :-)

I tend to use Vi sees! or Ha det fint! I haven't had an opportunity to use Ha det så lenge! yet, but I probably need to wait til my first helgefylla.

bearish

August 25th, 2020, 5:18 pm

Well, after helgefylla, the traditional greeting “Takk for sist!” can easily be imbued with more meaning than intended. While it would best translate into something like “Thanks for (the) last (time we saw each other)”, it is a completely innocuous phrase that may be used with somebody you had coffee with last year. But if “sist” involved a vorspiel, not to mention a nachspiel, (perfectly good German words appropriated by Norwegians decades ago), it may give you pause.

Cuchulainn

August 25th, 2020, 6:13 pm

Kats,
How's your Sognamål?

Windir

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAM3y6bFNZI

Eg haite Terje Bakken, Bjørg ho e mi mor og Vegard e min bror
Budde pao aijn plass dar ingen skolde tru, at nåken konde bu
Og plassn haite Eggja, Gorvin, Stemmehaugen, Gjaitaskaddl, Kvaole

Og vinteren kan jamt ikkje vera oss for god med frost og fok og snjo;
då kan det ofte over dei fjorten dagar gå som me ikkje folk får sjå.
Og plassen heiter Uren, Luren, Himmelturen,
Steinrøys, Steinrøys, Svelt-i-hel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fDbSHIVY9E
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

katastrofa

August 25th, 2020, 7:29 pm

I'll try to translate to languages I more or less know (-:

Ich heisse Terje Bakken, Bjørg її є mor min and Vegard er min bror
буде på ein place dar [or дар -> gift -> to give] ingen skolde tru [no one gives a sh*t?]...

Phew! I'll be back! Jogging!

bearish

August 25th, 2020, 7:52 pm

That’s really uncalled for. You can travel fifty miles in three directions from Sogn and encounter three different dialects that are, essentially, mutually incomprehensible. For a smallish country with a tiny population, Norway developed an astonishing range of dialects, presumably mostly because of physical hindrances to communication across local communities, especially on the west coast.

Paul

August 25th, 2020, 11:52 pm

...ceteris fails to be paribus...
Well, if it isn’t my old drinking pal, Bertram Wooster! What ho, Bertie!

bearish

August 26th, 2020, 1:10 am

What ho! What ho! I read a lot of Wodehouse at an impressionable age, including a number of his books in translation (there’s an honest challenge for you!). My favorite quote is “it is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine”. Not sure why, it just seems very evocative.