SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Re: Your rants here

February 21st, 2020, 12:55 pm

I often explain vega via

[$]\frac{\partial \, \mbox{Area of a circle}}{\partial \pi}=r^2[$]
[$]\frac{\partial^2 \, \mbox{Area of a circle}}{\partial \pi \partial x}=ab[$]

this because a circle moved along the x axis is observed to be an ellipse due to length contraction, so we have the well unknown circle equation

[$]\frac{\partial^2 \, \mbox{Area of a circle}}{\partial \pi \partial t}-\frac{\partial^2 \, \mbox{Area of a circle}}{\partial \pi \partial x}=r^2-ab[$]

or more interesting

[$]\frac{\partial \, \mbox{Area of a circle}}{\partial t}-\frac{\partial \, \mbox{Area of a circle}}{ \partial x}=\pi r^2-\pi ab[$]

where a and b functions of v

and do we also get:?

[$]\frac{\partial \, \mbox{Area of a circle}}{\partial t}-\nabla \mbox{Area of a circle} =\pi r^2-\pi ab[$]

more complex under acceleration.
Ah, mixed derivatives!
Would they be called "mixed Greeks"?

Collector

February 21st, 2020, 12:56 pm

I often explain vega via

[$]\frac{\partial \, \mbox{Area of a circle}}{\partial \pi}=r^2[$]
[$]\frac{\partial^2 \, \mbox{Area of a circle}}{\partial \pi \partial x}=ab[$]

this because a circle moved along the x axis is observed to be an ellipse due to length contraction, so we have the well unknown circle equation

[$]\frac{\partial^2 \, \mbox{Area of a circle}}{\partial \pi \partial t}-\frac{\partial^2 \, \mbox{Area of a circle}}{\partial \pi \partial x}=r^2-ab[$]

or more interesting

[$]\frac{\partial \, \mbox{Area of a circle}}{\partial t}-\frac{\partial \, \mbox{Area of a circle}}{ \partial x}=\pi r^2-\pi ab[$]

where a and b functions of v

and do we also get:?

[$]\frac{\partial \, \mbox{Area of a circle}}{\partial t}-\nabla \mbox{Area of a circle} =\pi r^2-\pi ab[$]

more complex under acceleration.
Ah, mixed derivatives!
Would they be called "mixed Greeks"?
or messed

Cuchulainn

February 21st, 2020, 3:24 pm

A Hellenic of a slippery slope!

trackstar

February 25th, 2020, 10:46 pm

Wait - you are in the Canary Islands?  Not to be confused with Canary Wharf...
Hopefully safely back in the UK by now...

Coronavirus Rattles Asian Markets As 1,000 Guests Are On Lockdown In Tenerife Hotel Linked To Illness - Forbes Feb 25
  • Stocks in Asia continued to fall on Tuesday, with Japan’s Nikkei seeing the steepest fall of 3%, while China’s Shanghai Composite fell 1.6%. On Monday, U.S. stocks saw their steepest fall in two years, with the Dow falling more than 1,000 points.
  • Spain's IBEX 35 Index was down 1.28%, and Italy's MIB fell 0.92% at the midmarket following Monday's sell off.
  • Some 1,000 people have been quarantined at a hotel in Tenerife in Spain’s Canary islands and await testing, after a visiting Italian doctor tested positive for the virus.

ISayMoo

March 9th, 2020, 9:31 pm

Berlin inquiry doesn’t know how many boys were given to abusers
By the late 1960s the West Berlin authorities were at their wits’ end. Hundreds of children had run away from home and were wandering the streets, in some cases openly selling themselves in the archways of the Zoological Garden station.
Then one of the rising stars of German social science came up with a solution: why not move them in with paedophiles? The boys would fall in love with their new father figures, Helmut Kentler argued, and learn to form stable relationships in the adult world.
On Kentler’s advice, for 30 years or more the city hall placed an unknown number of homeless children with foster fathers who had been convicted of sexually abusing minors.
Some of the victims say they were raped, isolated from the world and subjected to psychological torment. One died, allegedly through being denied proper medical care.
I can't believe how they could have been so insane as to come up with this project and support it for 30 years.

Collector

March 20th, 2020, 9:28 pm

Everything closed down here :( 

I am going to Monaco

Paul

March 20th, 2020, 11:12 pm

I’ve got the battery charger. Yay!

All rechargeable batteries sold out. Boo!

(Actual batteries? Loads of them in the shops!)

katastrofa

March 21st, 2020, 12:27 am

I am going to Monaco
I told you get a cat (or better two). You'd never feel lonely.

Cuchulainn

March 21st, 2020, 12:51 am

I am going to Monaco
I told you get a cat (or better two). You'd never feel lonely.
Codex Karlsen, page 492 UnifiedR 

2c/(1-v^2/c^2)

So cute

Collector

March 22nd, 2020, 11:43 am

Codex Karlsen sadly disappeared some years ago. My first cat disappeared once for a full year (went out travel and mate, big male cat) then suddenly returned, so still hope, but not high.
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 12.48.01 PM.png
Last edited by Collector on March 22nd, 2020, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

March 22nd, 2020, 11:45 am

Sorry to hear that.. 

katastrofa

March 22nd, 2020, 4:07 pm

Codex Karlsen sadly disappeared some years ago. My first cat disappeared once for a full year (went out travel and mate, big male cat) then suddenly returned, so still hope, but not high.

Maybe the skinny black cat in the forest was him!?!

BTW, they closed pubs and cafes. I have crowds crawling along the river in front of my house, and groups drinking beer in every corner. Now they are closing parks. I'm not sure it works as they intended.

Paul

March 22nd, 2020, 5:26 pm

Maybe the skinny black cat in the forest was him!?!

BTW, they closed pubs and cafes. I have crowds crawling along the river in front of my house, and groups drinking beer in every corner. Now they are closing parks. I'm not sure it works as they intended.
I'm seeing similar, mainly people in their 20s. It's understandable. And it's only a few days into (sort of) lockdown! I'd prefer that parks, beaches, other large open areas, were kept open. With volunteers reminding people to keep their distances from each other. 

katastrofa

March 22nd, 2020, 5:41 pm

A couple of days ago I popped in a local pub to buy some bottles. There were around 8 people seated sparsely in the large space. It looked similar in cafes. I think it was safer than what's happening now. I try to keep distance in the street - as usual (my social phobia), but it's not at all reciprocated.

Paul

March 23rd, 2020, 8:21 pm

Increased attack rate on wilmott.com from IP addresses in...China. (Just saying without comment!)
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On