SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Nonius
Topic Author

What in the f*ck happened to Hamilton?

September 11th, 2003, 10:42 am

Life without him is like....hmmmm..."Dallas" without...ah, er...can't remember her name...but you get the idea...I've got a hankering for some spankering.

FDAXHunter

September 11th, 2003, 10:44 am

Does my icon give you a rough idea?

Beans

September 11th, 2003, 10:59 am

'as far as i can tell, everyone was picking on him and saying how horrible he is and he just up and left. it's pretty sad as he used to be hilarious (when he wasn;t just posting links to ancient texts)

andym

September 11th, 2003, 11:02 am

I miss Hambo too; we need people like him as an outlet for our aggression... That supercilious tone of his was always good for a soothing torrent of expletives shouted at my screen.
Last edited by andym on September 10th, 2003, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nonius
Topic Author

September 11th, 2003, 11:06 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Beans'as far as i can tell, everyone was picking on him and saying how horrible he is and he just up and left. it's pretty sad as he used to be hilarious (when he wasn;t just posting links to ancient texts)a couple of things...first of all, he was hypocritical. He posted several times content that criticized the childish behavior going on here...and yet, he did the same thing in the end, although many of his posts were edited and or deleted by the administrator. Second of all, he passed himself off as being an expert in philosophy, Latin, and Greek. I never believed this, and I still do not believe it. These characteristics-hypocrisy and fraudulent behavior-rub me the wrong way. Thirdly, he never contributed anything, to my knowledge, in the General Topics or Technical Section. There is nothing wrong with not contributing to the primary subject matter of a message board. However, this lack of contribution coupled with the pompous attitude about message board morality, was too much for me to bear. I had to act. I believe he is reading the posts currently, so, he can feel free to step in and defend himself.
Last edited by Nonius on September 10th, 2003, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LongTheta

September 11th, 2003, 11:14 am

He contributed more than his share of silly and childish posts. When people talked back, he got offended and left. I expect he will be back.

Nonius
Topic Author

September 11th, 2003, 11:15 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: LongThetaHe contributed more than his share of silly and childish posts. When people talked back, he got offended and left. I expect he will be back.Of course he will. I want him to come back.

Marsden

September 11th, 2003, 12:05 pm

Well, possibly having more than a little to do with Hamilton leaving (although, he having followed my instructions, I removed them from my signature line), I suppose I should comment.Hamilton was a blowhard. He apparently read a lot of classical literature, but he really didn't get even the most basic bits of it. He very easily could have been a computer program -- he almost never made any sort of argument, but rather only implied that whoever he was "conversing" with was ignorant, and recommended some ancient texts that should be read. His most interesting post ever was one shortly before he left in which he actually gave direct answers to questions that had been posed to him. Other than that, he apparently prefered trying to be some sort of enigma by giving his ridiculous reading lists instead of ever making an argument. What he succeeded at, however, was being a laughing-stock, and a boring one at that.I think that the great masses of people really are impressed by bloated pretensiousness. Witness Dumbold Rumsfeld's popularity. Hamilton might have gotten away with his nonsense at a PTA meeting, but, honestly, the knives are a little sharper here.So what did he want? I think he wanted to be admired without really having done anything admirable -- really, like any of us, he only wanted more than he deserved. Hopefully he can go off and be the respected intellectual that he aspired to be in a copy room somewhere.

N

September 11th, 2003, 12:28 pm

Marsden,Amazing... This is the first time I agree with you. What's going on?

Marsden

September 11th, 2003, 12:37 pm

It's called growing up, son.

kutilya

September 11th, 2003, 7:02 pm

Last edited by kutilya on March 3rd, 2004, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SanFranCA2002

September 11th, 2003, 7:05 pm

I want him back too.

Ariston

September 11th, 2003, 8:17 pm

[Nonius]: However, this lack of contribution coupled with the pompous attitude about message board morality, was too much for me to bear. I had to act.It could be you who ultimately has to bear the responsibility for the consequence.

James

September 12th, 2003, 1:18 pm

"he passed himself off as being an expert in philosophy, Latin, and Greek."I disagree with this charecterization, I think he holds himself out to be a student of those subjects, as Socrates would."Thirdly, he never contributed anything, to my knowledge, in the General Topics or Technical Section."My contributions also are thin on the ground there. As are a lot of folks.The reason is I am a student of lie algebra, not an expert (like you). I am an expert in some things in finance (boring to most everyone here, but they pay me to be a Prof. so what am I gonna do? throw the money away 'cause I don't know as much about mersene twisters on obscure theoretical surfaces? Plus, I mysteriously, dumb as I am, I generate Sharpe and Information ratio beating alpha every year...I'd rather be lucky than smart!).Some folks don't post in those sections because others say it so much better. I can understand a lecture on Vega and Rega by Marco Avellenada with the best of them, even ask him a good question. Explaining what I understand to someone else is beyond my skill set. While explaining what I know well (and again, dull to y'all) is easy. Aaron has a particular gift for lucidity, as does Paul, Johnny, and a host of others, my friend Collector, Omar, etc.Excluding or pounding someone because they don't know as much as you has downside risk for you....there is always someone smarter than you who could treat you the same way. Jim Simon is famous for being kind and encouraging to those of less mathmatical skill than himself, since that is nearly everyone on the planet. One would do well to adopt his model.Off to teach my students about Discounted Cash Flow. Their first finance class. In one month they will be a Black-Scholes. After that, watch your back, I release these alpha snipers onto your markets friends.

zerdna

September 12th, 2003, 1:32 pm

i find it curious how people get annoyed with others on the board. Don't like Hammy -- then don't read his posts -- you are not paying for the board space in the off topics. The tread got boring? Start another one. Same goes for anyone who annoys someone else. This is Hyde Park and a first amendment stadium in my opinion. In my memory people were ganging up several times on Hammy, Mob, and once on Marsden. Whatever is the extent i share their views, i am totally for leaving these guys be and talk freely.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On