Hamilton

What in the f*ck happened to Hamilton?

September 15th, 2003, 3:32 am

See what you guys have forced Hammy into now

Nonius
Topic Author

September 15th, 2003, 6:24 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonMy spider sense is tingling. LongTheta must be lurking on the forumsomewhere. The fellow who caused MobPsycho to flee, taking all ofhis best material with him. Thankfully, LongTheta also erased all theevidence of his tete a tete with MP.a tête-à-tête is a private conversation, so does this mean that you are prying into his PMs with MP?

LongTheta

September 15th, 2003, 6:57 am

It means he doesn't know what tete-a-tete means. Surprise, surprise

mikebell

September 15th, 2003, 1:50 pm

farmer, where is that from?!?

farmer

September 15th, 2003, 2:52 pm

Mr. Bell,The merit of a society is measured neither in equality, nor opportunity, nor prosperity, but rather in the sub-type of opportunity for prosperity.The society of savages, where stars are selected based on physical and athletic capabilities, supports the fewest numbers. But inequality is not a problem among savages because the unequal are dead, and therefore not counted. Rather, the problem is that there aren't enough followers for the leaders to lead, even though tribal leaders may be much revered and valued in their teachings.The feudal-imperialistic society allows for greater numbers, and leaders are selected based mainly on military strength, but also still somewhat on the value of cult teachings. Since this still favors the strong and the popular, this leaves insufficient opportunity for the purely intellectual leader to become superior. Since the intellectuals now emerge as a sub-group of those less equal than military leaders, inequality is something of a problem.The capitalist society supports the greatest numbers of all, by giving those who would be dead and not exist in any other form of society the opportunity to be born, live, and work as poor people. Inequality is a major problem, because the winners are chosen based on the popularity of products by the impersonal dynamics of market forces, rather than face-to-face by their peers. Since the distribution of inequality is selected democratically through the purchasing decisions of the poor, rather than by the justice and wisdom of the smart, the inequality is by definition unjust.The greatest society is the propagandist society, for even though it supports fewer numbers, inequality is justly distributed. At the top are the verbally adept intellectuals, selected face-to-face by popularity among their peers. This is just, because the people who matter have judged them superior. Below the intellectuals are athletes, rock stars, and watered down descendants of feudal royalty, whose station is also just, having been consciously selected by the poor. At the very bottom are the benighted businessmen who actually feed people, for the unequal had no intention of elevating them, but did it unawares through their inadvertent purchasing decisions.So you see, a society can only be just when inequality is distributed by just individuals, whose lives are governed by the distribution of justice. It is therefore unjust to purchase food, to the extent it will make a rich person richer. Better that some should die, for the purpose of elevating the righteous and beautiful, rather than the fragmented, accidental system of capitalism, where winners whom no one intended are selected behind closed doors by unseen forces, and those who are popular in the traditional sense but whose product no longer feeds the masses, are relegated to inquality.At the very bottom of the great society are the religious leaders, for the wisdom they teach does not reflect any superior intelligence or talent on their own part, but merely the distilled wisdom of the ages, Even though thousands may have died to discover and select their religious rules and commandments, it is unjust that the purveyors of such rules be elevated and revered in their own lifetimes, for they are not smart or beautiful themselves, but merely stand on the shoulders of the dead. Moreover, the intellectual cannot hope, by his own talents, to come upon such wisom baed on his sole individual experience in his own lifetime. Therefore, outcome of the competition between the holy man and the intellectual is unfair and unjust...

FDAXHunter

September 15th, 2003, 2:57 pm

MobPsycho is back!!!!!

mikebell

September 15th, 2003, 7:41 pm

farmer, do you have a newsletter or something? I'd like to subscribe to it! your thoughts are fascinating.What are your thoughts on today's 'dog eat dog' world? Job market is really tight and there's less and less jobs available. Seems to me that you have to be ruthless to succeed in any corporation and morality comes into the way of success. What's the best way to do it so you have a semi-clean consciousness?

RowdyRoddyPiper

September 17th, 2003, 12:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mikebellfarmer, do you have a newsletter or something? I'd like to subscribe to it! your thoughts are fascinating.What are your thoughts on today's 'dog eat dog' world? Job market is really tight and there's less and less jobs available. Seems to me that you have to be ruthless to succeed in any corporation and morality comes into the way of success. What's the best way to do it so you have a semi-clean consciousness?Dirty it up.

Nonius
Topic Author

September 17th, 2003, 12:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: RowdyRoddyPiperQuoteOriginally posted by: mikebellfarmer, do you have a newsletter or something? I'd like to subscribe to it! your thoughts are fascinating.What are your thoughts on today's 'dog eat dog' world? Job market is really tight and there's less and less jobs available. Seems to me that you have to be ruthless to succeed in any corporation and morality comes into the way of success. What's the best way to do it so you have a semi-clean consciousness?Dirty it up.actually I thought that Farmer's questionnaire smelled like an odd mixture of "Mein Kampf" and Soviet style propaganda.

zerdna

September 17th, 2003, 10:09 pm

it has very little to do with soviet propaganda, although is in parts similar in spirit to MK and some nazi propaganda, but not directly quoting MK if i am not mistaken. This a list of MPs pet peeves, dealing with individualism and anti-individualism, regulation and self-regulation in society and economy. Hitler had other pet peeves and idiosyncrasies, most importantly race. it's difficult to find a quote in MK where State is analysed vs individualism. It typically rotates around the racial, not economical or libertarian aspect. Notice Mobs new name -- "farmer", which is a symbol of the notorious localization, self-sufficiency, and independence of an ordinary man from the state, sort of along the lines of Faulkner's "The Tall Men".

Beavis

September 18th, 2003, 2:18 am

Farmer - If in this "great society" intellectuals are at the top of the class system and, in the manner you described, religious leaders are destined to lives of inequality, then I see a problem. At the very least, in the early stages of such a society this may indeed be true, but as time goes on and if this society is successful and remains prosperous for many generations, shouldn't religion also change? In such a society as you described, it seems inevitable that any religion based on ancient principles must adapt or perish. The new religion would then be based upon essential elements of survival in the new society. After all, ancient religions were formed on a similar pretext. They were created to ensure the ultimate "survival" of their followers - whether that survival meant in this life (normally not) or the next. And the few religions that didn't dwell on the notion of an afterlife concerned themselves with happiness in this one. So the religion of this propagandist society should be based on any mindset or set of skills necessary for success and happiness. Namely being verbally adept, intellectually curious, and any other quality that would ensure popularity with the people. Those who were most knowlegable on attaining and retaining these skills would naturally become popular themselves because of the demand for such people by everyone else. I'm not going to mention market principles because I'm assuming you are much more educated then myself and would be insulted. These new "religious leaders" then could surely not be bestowed with inequality. They would likely become part of the intellectual class of people and return to the apex of society, just as they were in ancient times.
Last edited by Beavis on September 17th, 2003, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nonius
Topic Author

September 18th, 2003, 4:43 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: zerdnait has very little to do with soviet propaganda, although is in parts similar in spirit to MK and some nazi propaganda, but not directly quoting MK if i am not mistaken. This a list of MPs pet peeves, dealing with individualism and anti-individualism, regulation and self-regulation in society and economy. Hitler had other pet peeves and idiosyncrasies, most importantly race. it's difficult to find a quote in MK where State is analysed vs individualism. It typically rotates around the racial, not economical or libertarian aspect. Notice Mobs new name -- "farmer", which is a symbol of the notorious localization, self-sufficiency, and independence of an ordinary man from the state, sort of along the lines of Faulkner's "The Tall Men".Definitely not direct quotes from MK, I already checked....http://www.hitler.org/writings/Mein_Kampf/

LongTheta

September 18th, 2003, 5:54 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: RowdyRoddyPiperQuoteOriginally posted by: mikebellfarmer, do you have a newsletter or something? I'd like to subscribe to it! your thoughts are fascinating.What are your thoughts on today's 'dog eat dog' world? Job market is really tight and there's less and less jobs available. Seems to me that you have to be ruthless to succeed in any corporation and morality comes into the way of success. What's the best way to do it so you have a semi-clean consciousness?Dirty it up.It's not that easy. Some of us do have a conscience, or at least, we like to think that we do.I think mikebell's question is a very deep one. People like Wittgenstein have struggled their whole lives with issues such as these.

RowdyRoddyPiper

September 18th, 2003, 12:26 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: LongThetaQuoteOriginally posted by: RowdyRoddyPiperQuoteOriginally posted by: mikebellfarmer, do you have a newsletter or something? I'd like to subscribe to it! your thoughts are fascinating.What are your thoughts on today's 'dog eat dog' world? Job market is really tight and there's less and less jobs available. Seems to me that you have to be ruthless to succeed in any corporation and morality comes into the way of success. What's the best way to do it so you have a semi-clean consciousness?Dirty it up.It's not that easy. Some of us do have a conscience, or at least, we like to think that we do.I think mikebell's question is a very deep one. People like Wittgenstein have struggled their whole lives with issues such as these.Listen, there's no reason that you have to be amoral and throw jiminy cricket under the bus in order to have a nice happy normal life. Success in the business world is most easily attained by those who are willing to sacrifice in order to achieve it. One of the easiest things to sacrifice, for most people, is concience. I guess if you want to keep your concience and be successful you should be real real smart. So smart that you don't have to do the dirty things that others must to get ahead. Even then there's no guarantee. I'd probably rather have a moderately intelligent viper on my side than a genius boyscout.
Last edited by RowdyRoddyPiper on September 21st, 2003, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marsden

September 18th, 2003, 12:48 pm

I'm fairly certain that farmer<>MobPsycho.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On