Cuchulainn

Re: the marathon general matters thread

April 21st, 2017, 9:10 am

ppauper wrote:
anyone do  boston this year?

bearish

November 7th, 2017, 3:08 am

OK - in a break with recent tradition - I agree!

ppauper

January 29th, 2018, 5:43 pm

of course that's against the rules, but the referee's decision is final I guess

tagoma
Topic Author

January 29th, 2018, 6:36 pm

ppauper wrote:

I **and some others in this forum** come from a country where people think referee is not always right.

Cuchulainn

January 29th, 2018, 8:53 pm

tagoma wrote:
ppauper wrote:

I **and some others in this forum** come from a country where people think referee is not always right.

tagoma
Topic Author

February 24th, 2018, 9:01 pm

tagoma wrote:
QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaEvery year there is a 24H racewalking in my little town of Bourges.Fun!  I love walking long distances (although 200km is insane).What's the weather like at this time of year?About 8-10°C  = 45-50°F and (sporadic) light rain during day time, and 4-8°C = 40-45°F during the night.One has to care his feet, trapped so long in sneakers.That's a tricky temperature!  If it's on the warmer end of the spectrum (or sunny) then I'd wear sandals to reduce the "feet trapped in sneakers" effects.  But 45F or rain would make me rethink that.I walked on the railway from Ollaytantambo to Agua Calientes (at the foot of the Machu Picchu). It is 48km distance, approx. It was a really hard walk time, as rail sleepers were not equally spaced, and so many were broken. The climate was different from the starting place (mountain climate like) to the arrival place (kindda jungle climate). My feet started to be really sore at some point. When I arrived I realized that the wire of my socks cut the skin of my feet and it slowly began to heal. So I literally had my socks under my skin!  A painful experience. But, no regret, King Machu Picchu is really worth it. :)Shoes and socks seem somewhere between totally necessary and totally evil.  If one wears footwear enough, the feet become soft and can't handle the roughness of natural surfaces.  But if one wears footwear too long, the soft skin breaks down and creates wounds.(I'd love to hike to Machu Picchu some day!)Rémi Bonnotte won the race, walking some 200 km in 24H.Searching a bit on the internet, it exists (or existed) other crazy racewalking competitions in France, eg the Paris-Colmar racewalking the distance of which is 440 km (it is a 3-day race, taking place every year since 1926).  Even longer, the Paris-Strasbourg race which doesn't exist any more was a 523 km race .

This time of the year again! The 2018 edition of the 24 hours walking race taking place in the small town I am from started at 1:00pm. Temperatures for this night and tomorrow morning shall round -2/+3°C. Good luck!

bearish

February 24th, 2018, 9:25 pm

tagoma wrote:
tagoma wrote:
QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaEvery year there is a 24H racewalking in my little town of Bourges.Fun!  I love walking long distances (although 200km is insane).What's the weather like at this time of year?About 8-10°C  = 45-50°F and (sporadic) light rain during day time, and 4-8°C = 40-45°F during the night.One has to care his feet, trapped so long in sneakers.That's a tricky temperature!  If it's on the warmer end of the spectrum (or sunny) then I'd wear sandals to reduce the "feet trapped in sneakers" effects.  But 45F or rain would make me rethink that.I walked on the railway from Ollaytantambo to Agua Calientes (at the foot of the Machu Picchu). It is 48km distance, approx. It was a really hard walk time, as rail sleepers were not equally spaced, and so many were broken. The climate was different from the starting place (mountain climate like) to the arrival place (kindda jungle climate). My feet started to be really sore at some point. When I arrived I realized that the wire of my socks cut the skin of my feet and it slowly began to heal. So I literally had my socks under my skin!  A painful experience. But, no regret, King Machu Picchu is really worth it. :)Shoes and socks seem somewhere between totally necessary and totally evil.  If one wears footwear enough, the feet become soft and can't handle the roughness of natural surfaces.  But if one wears footwear too long, the soft skin breaks down and creates wounds.(I'd love to hike to Machu Picchu some day!)Rémi Bonnotte won the race, walking some 200 km in 24H.Searching a bit on the internet, it exists (or existed) other crazy racewalking competitions in France, eg the Paris-Colmar racewalking the distance of which is 440 km (it is a 3-day race, taking place every year since 1926).  Even longer, the Paris-Strasbourg race which doesn't exist any more was a 523 km race .

This time of the year again! The 2018 edition of the 24 hours walking race taking place in the small town I am from started at 1:00pm. Temperatures for this night and tomorrow morning shall round -2/+3°C. Good luck!

Wait - I found myself there today while playing GeoGuessr. Well, almost, I was dropped into the town of Brécy, just at the intersection of D12 and D52. I find it an excellent way to avoid work of all kinds...

tagoma
Topic Author

February 24th, 2018, 9:34 pm

bearish wrote:
tagoma wrote:
tagoma wrote:

Wait - I found myself there today while playing GeoGuessr. Well, almost, I was dropped into the town of Brécy, just at the intersection of D12 and D52. I find it an excellent way to avoid work of all kinds...

Brécy, indeed!  In between Bourges and La Charité-sur.Loire.
GeoGuessr is a lot of fun!    But, the difficulty may vary wildly from one location to the next.  Anyways, what was your guess for Brécy? How far from it were you?

bearish

February 24th, 2018, 10:23 pm

12 meters. 5000 points. The round got screwed up by a country road in Brazil where I got lazy and picked a plausible spot that turned out to be a couple of thousand miles away (I hate those big countries!). 

Traden4Alpha

February 24th, 2018, 11:13 pm

tagoma wrote:
tagoma wrote:

Fun!

That morning low isn't too bad. A bit of layering (e.g., fleece jacket & windbreaker) should provide enough insulation & thermal control. Do you have to carry your own food & drink or are their aid stations?

tagoma
Topic Author

February 25th, 2018, 9:27 am

Traden4Alpha wrote:
tagoma wrote:
tagoma wrote:

Fun!

That morning low isn't too bad.  A bit of layering (e.g., fleece jacket & windbreaker) should provide enough insulation & thermal control.  Do you have to carry your own food & drink or are their aid stations?

It is a 2.5km course (under IAAF ruling) with 1 "official" aid station (with drinks, foods, physiotherapists, doctors) and feed assistance is allowed all along the course. The leader walked 72.5km during the first 8H45 of the race (twitter), which is something. And now there are only (?) 2h30 left until the end.

ppauper

February 25th, 2018, 10:53 am

so 200km would be 80 laps. It makes support and logistics easier, but makes the event a little boring for participants
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...