SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

farmer
Topic Author

nothing good comes of not watching television

May 5th, 2014, 10:39 am

I know two people who watch zero television, me and one other guy. I have a big television but I have never turned it on. I unplugged it last November so my puppy would not chew the cord and I never plugged it back in.The two people that each of us is most social with happen to watch a good bit of television. So this seems a good opportunity for comparison: Does watching television shows result in less time spent doing work, or other activities like going boating or to pubs?It seems nothing good can happen when you are watching a television. So the mere possibility of actually doing something, seems to guarantee not watching television would have some good outcomes. Unless you stare at the wall, you must do something, which must amount to more than the zero of staring at a television on the wall.But when looking at actual people, it seems the theory is wrong. First of all, it seems people who watch television shows can spend a lot of time at work also. And they can work very long hours, and still find time to watch television. There seems to be no correlation between watching less television and getting more work done.So far as non-work activities, it seems they do increase when you find something to do other than watching television shows. But these alternative activities, such as floating around the bay on a boat, getting sunburned, drinking beer, or driving to and wandering around Home Depot, are not only worthless, but in fact more costly than watching television.If you were a paintbrush, sometimes it is good to put the paintbrush on the shelf. After you have painted the walls and the floor, it is better to do nothing than paint the dog. If you have run out of paint, it only damages the paintbrush to drag it across things for no reason. So like a tool, sometimes you should put yourself on the shelf.In summary, there are activities whose cost is greater than their benefit. And there are activities with very low priority. These activities should be replaced with watching television, for an overall benefit.

Cuchulainn

May 5th, 2014, 1:28 pm

I haven't watched televsion for more than 20 years. Because of this, my social life is zero, I get less and less work done, alcohol intake has dropped to millilitres and political awareness is lamentable.How I envy people who can watch X Factor and Voice of Holland for 3 hours every night.Maybe tax people who don't watch more than say 20 hours TV per week? Radio has better pictures.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on May 4th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

May 5th, 2014, 1:30 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnI haven't watched televsion for mor than 20 years. Because of this, my social life is zero, I get less and less work done, alcohol intake has dropped to zero and political awareness is lamentable.How I envy people who can watch X Factor and Voice of Holland for 3 hours every night.Maybe tax people who don't watch more than say 20 hours TV per week?LOL! I seem to recall that Eurovision was pretty popular in Cuchulainn household!

Cuchulainn

May 5th, 2014, 1:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnI haven't watched televsion for mor than 20 years. Because of this, my social life is zero, I get less and less work done, alcohol intake has dropped to zero and political awareness is lamentable.How I envy people who can watch X Factor and Voice of Holland for 3 hours every night.Maybe tax people who don't watch more than say 20 hours TV per week?LOL! I seem to recall that Eurovision was pretty popular in Cuchulainn household! 3/(20*365*24) == 0.0000171

Traden4Alpha

May 5th, 2014, 2:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnI haven't watched televsion for mor than 20 years. Because of this, my social life is zero, I get less and less work done, alcohol intake has dropped to zero and political awareness is lamentable.How I envy people who can watch X Factor and Voice of Holland for 3 hours every night.Maybe tax people who don't watch more than say 20 hours TV per week?LOL! I seem to recall that Eurovision was pretty popular in Cuchulainn household! 3/(20*365*24) == 0.0000171LOL, 17 ppm is well below the background radiation level (i.e., exposure to TVs in airports, bars, electronic shops, etc.).

Cuchulainn

May 5th, 2014, 3:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnI haven't watched televsion for mor than 20 years. Because of this, my social life is zero, I get less and less work done, alcohol intake has dropped to zero and political awareness is lamentable.How I envy people who can watch X Factor and Voice of Holland for 3 hours every night.Maybe tax people who don't watch more than say 20 hours TV per week?LOL! I seem to recall that Eurovision was pretty popular in Cuchulainn household! 3/(20*365*24) == 0.0000171LOL, 17 ppm is well below the background radiation level (i.e., exposure to TVs in airports, bars, electronic shops, etc.).After each Eurovision I usually go into rehab/detox chamber. It's highly conentrated lethal potions.

Cuchulainn

May 5th, 2014, 3:18 pm

QuoteI bought a bourgeois house in the Hollywood hills With a trunkload of hundred thousand dollar bills Man came by to hook up my cable TV We settled in for the night my baby and me We switched 'round and 'round 'til half-past down There was fifty-seven channels and notin' on Well now home entertainment was my baby's wish So I hopped into town for a satellite dish I tied it to the top of my Japanese car I came home and I pointed it out into the stars A message came back from the great beyond There's fifty-seven channnels and nothin' on Well we might' a made some friends with some billionaires We might' a got all nice and friendly If we'd made it upstairs All I got was a note that said "Bye-bye John Our love is fifty-seven channels and nothin' on" So I bought a .44 magnum it was solid steel cast And in the blessed name of Elvis well I just let it blast 'Til my TV lay in pieces there at my feet And they bsted me for disturbin' the almighty peace Judge said "What you got in your defense son ?" "Fifty-seven channels and nothin' on" I can see by your eyes friend you're just about gone Fifty-seven channels and nothin' on Fifty-seven channels and nothin'...

Traden4Alpha

May 5th, 2014, 3:38 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnI haven't watched televsion for mor than 20 years. Because of this, my social life is zero, I get less and less work done, alcohol intake has dropped to zero and political awareness is lamentable.How I envy people who can watch X Factor and Voice of Holland for 3 hours every night.Maybe tax people who don't watch more than say 20 hours TV per week?LOL! I seem to recall that Eurovision was pretty popular in Cuchulainn household! 3/(20*365*24) == 0.0000171LOL, 17 ppm is well below the background radiation level (i.e., exposure to TVs in airports, bars, electronic shops, etc.).After each Eurovision I usually go into rehab/detox chamber. It's highly conentrated lethal potions.Indeed! Those peppy tunes plus the patina of competition and undercurrent of nationalism are sure to enslave the eyeballs of millions. Best to wear a hazmat suit, ear plugs, and sleep mask whilst handling the TV remote with tongs!

Cuchulainn

May 5th, 2014, 7:23 pm

When the world crashes in into my living room, television man made me what I am.People like to put the television down. But we are just good friends.

ppauper

May 5th, 2014, 7:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnWhen the world crashes in into my living room, television man made me what I am.People like to put the television down. But we are just good friends.

Cuchulainn

May 5th, 2014, 7:36 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnWhen the world crashes in into my living room, television man made me what I am.People like to put the television down. But we are just good friends.Is that an Impreza?

ppauper

May 5th, 2014, 7:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnWhen the world crashes in into my living room, television man made me what I am.People like to put the television down. But we are just good friends.Is that an Impreza?it's the world crashing into your living room

ExSan

May 5th, 2014, 7:57 pm

current events on TV: NBA playoffs, May 24: Champions league finalsI enjoy A LOT ! watching tv on my s-sung 47 oled flat screen and my home theater. I am planning for the next year to buy the new 50 inches curve screen
Last edited by ExSan on May 4th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

May 6th, 2014, 4:58 am

Television Man

farmer
Topic Author

May 6th, 2014, 2:23 pm

TV is amazing, for providing an unlimited number of cryptic names to wonder about like stars in the sky. Names like "Octomom." What is an octomom? Those who watch TV know the answer.So I clicked over to cnn.com, and saw a picture of a rough-looking woman with the caption "Chelsea Handler Just Wants Casual Sex." "Handler" is even a rough-sounding name. To me, this seemed like dog-bites-man news. What rough woman does not just want casual sex? So I typed "Chelsea Handler" into Google, and got this:QuoteHandler has authored four books on the New York Times Best Seller List, three of which have been number one.Holy crap! Who has ever heard of this person? There is a rough woman out there, who just wants casual sex, and is fascinating to millions of people. Who knew?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On