SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

farmer
Topic Author

is twitter for mentally ill people?

May 9th, 2014, 1:10 am

Twitter's stock dropped. Supposedly they have no revenue. All they have to do is put some banner ads, right?If you can message and post pictures, it should be worth as much as facebook.So I thought about it, and there are no banner ads on Twitter. But apparently they are trying to do some weird thing with Amazon? Something other than banner ads?I visit Twitter every day. I don't follow anyone, so they are always recommending people to follow. And they are all named Something Chivette. For a while I could not decide if this girl Chivette was ugly or pretty, because some days she looked ugly and some days pretty. So I started clicking on her profile pic, and finally today I figured out there are multiple girls all named Chivette.They don't recommend to me to follow anyone but girls named Chivette, or the New York Stock Exchange. You would think I could follow a cheeseburger, or something I might actually buy.So I searched Chivette on Google, and apparently these girls are all ads for a web site called thechivery.com? Is this some kind of new web marketing thing which I don't get because I am too old?If this is for real how they are trying to make money, showing me a dozen girls named Chivette rather than use banner ads like a normal person, they have to be mentally ill. Are they really trying to do some crazy revenue model over there at Twitter that old people like me don't understand? I follow products, they tweet news to me, and then I buy them?Is it brilliant, or are they just fucking stupid and crazy showing me all these girls named Chivette instead of some banner ads like a sane person? Are they trying to go broke over there?I still don't know what the fuck is Chivette? It has something to do with China or Chicago or Canada or beer or the letters KCCO? Just show me something I can click on and give my credit card.

tagoma

May 9th, 2014, 4:46 am

QuoteSo I thought about it, and there are no banner ads on Twitter. There are some ads as seemingly twitts put in between two 'nomral' twitts.

ppauper

May 9th, 2014, 8:02 am

I set up a twitter account last year as there was something I wanted to do on the net and was only allowed to access it if I had a twitter account.Got an email from twitter couple of weeks ago saying there was suspicious activity on the account, which I'd never usedSomehow the account was following like 5,000 people.I deleted the account

farmer
Topic Author

May 9th, 2014, 11:19 am

There may be as many as 257,000 girls on Twitter named Chivette. Does Twitter keep showing me them to follow because there is some money involved for Twitter? Or is 90% of Twitter activity girls named Chivette?I really want to know the answer. There is something going on here, it is web 3.0 or something. Are everybody's chats public now, like a reality TV show?I clicked the #Chivette hashtag, and I did not see anything that made any sense. Can someone explain what it is all about, so that I can use this new tool for whatever it does?True or False:a) thechive.com has 257,000 twitter accountsb) thechive.com pays twitterc) there are 257,000 girls who like thechive.com web site enough to call themselves Chivetted) thechive.com is sort of like a news outlet, sort of like theonion.com, and this is how all news outlets use twittere) the majority of twitter users are more business-oriented promotion, as contrasted against facebook which is personalf) most recommendations to follow people are like unpaid advertisements, unlike on facebook where you might want a friend g) there are people who actually watch twitter all day like a television as the tweets come uph) nobody watches all this garbage, twitter is 99% spami) all these girls name Chivette are waitresses or hookers or dj's or something, and they are using the Chivette brand to drive traffic to themselvesj) if I call myself Chivette and use the #chivette hashtag, immediately many people will see my tweets, until the brand is ruined and we all need a new hashtagk) you cannot actually use twitter to promote a new car or a sandwich, because people will only click on quotes about inner strength and cats and shiba inus and breakupsl) you can use twitter to promote a new car or a sandwich, if you tweet pictures of cats and shiba inu and wet tshirts under the name new_toyota_corolla_sandwich_deal_chivette#toyota #chivette #doge #no_money_down - is this the right (wrong) idea?QuoteStarting today, Twitter users can link their accounts to an Amazon account, and automatically add items to the shopping cart by responding to any tweet with an Amazon product link bearing the hashtag #AmazonCart. Customers never leave the Twitter feed, and the product is waiting for them when they head over to Amazon.People are going to sit and watch Tweets from Amazon all day? What are they going to sell, novelty tshirts worn by girls with big boobs? Have they at least tried banner ads?I tried selling tshirts on the web, and it did not work very well with Google adwords. Everyone who liked the tshirt clicked on the ad and shared it with their friends, so I paid for a million clicks from rofl dipshits with no credit cards.
Last edited by farmer on May 8th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tagoma

May 9th, 2014, 6:33 pm

By 2035, the world does not have a dominant source of energy. This is something we have never seen.-#BP?s Mark Finley #OTCHouston

Traden4Alpha

May 9th, 2014, 7:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaBy 2035, the world does not have a dominant source of energy. This is something we have never seen.-#BP?s Mark Finley #OTCHoustonIs this true? It seems to me that the dominance of oil is a relative recent phenomenon and that 100 or 200 years ago there was no dominant source of energy.

tagoma

May 9th, 2014, 8:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaBy 2035, the world does not have a dominant source of energy. This is something we have never seen.-#BP?s Mark Finley #OTCHoustonIs this true? It seems to me that the dominance of oil is a relative recent phenomenon and that 100 or 200 years ago there was no dominant source of energy.Well, I don't understand well this tweet either.I agree with you I think.I couldn't find a chart depicting energy consumption over time at world level similar to the one below showing energy consumption in the US.But I imagine that wood, then coal were also dominant before oil at world level.

Traden4Alpha

May 9th, 2014, 9:00 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaBy 2035, the world does not have a dominant source of energy. This is something we have never seen.-#BP?s Mark Finley #OTCHoustonIs this true? It seems to me that the dominance of oil is a relative recent phenomenon and that 100 or 200 years ago there was no dominant source of energy.Well, I don't understand well this tweet either.I agree with you I think.I couldn't find a chart depicting energy consumption over time at world level similar to the one below showing energy consumption in the US.But I imagine that wood, then coal were also dominant before oil at world level.In the beginning there was only one dominant energy source: human muscle. Then we added burning wood. Then domesticated animals. Then wind (sailing ships). Then hydropower (wheels for mills). Then wind mills. More recently, we added coal, oil, natural gas. And in the last century, we added nuclear, photovoltaic, chemical batteries, etc.Even though those curves make coal look dominant in terms of % contribution to total consumption, coal was not dominant in the sense that many applications in many locations did not use it and could not use it (e.g., farm work, personal transportation, lighting, and any place that did not have a nearby coal mine). It was only during the era of oil that virtually anything anywhere had a high probability of being powered by oil.

tagoma

June 14th, 2014, 11:51 am

Not a single tweet, yet 197K followers!!@BWilliams

tagoma

June 17th, 2014, 7:29 am

Quote¡Feliz aniversario en Twitter!Acabas de cumplir 3 años.I'm feeling so happy.

tagoma

August 17th, 2014, 10:27 pm

#icebucketchallenge anyone?

ppauper

October 22nd, 2014, 9:16 am

Twitter 'source of all evil': top Saudi Arabia cleric

daveangel

October 22nd, 2014, 9:32 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperTwitter 'source of all evil': top Saudi Arabia clericinteresting that they have a TV show called "Fatwa"
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

tagoma

March 2nd, 2015, 7:24 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperTwitter 'source of all evil': top Saudi Arabia clericinteresting that they have a TV show called "Fatwa"Twitter, law enforcement investigate alleged Islamic State threats

tagoma

April 3rd, 2015, 5:54 pm

Jailhouse tweet
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On