Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

tagoma

Re: is twitter for mentally ill people?

March 31st, 2021, 1:38 pm

So I joined Twitter. How to make it private enough so that mentally ill people can't get me? And whom to follow? Obviously Collector, and the second that came to my mind was Judea Pearl.

Maybe you can start interacting with Taleb and see how long it takes before he blocks you.

katastrofa

March 31st, 2021, 2:13 pm

Challenge accepted :-) But it would be probably fast, because having some background in complex system theory - both physics and social sciences
[*], I find his ideas not very well thought-through, gently speaking. Thinking-through Twitter comments is another challenge, it seems. Today I wrote my first reply to someone's post. Before I gain momentum, a red circle lit up telling me to remove 10 signs (easy for an Eastern European - who needs articles in the first place?).

* doesn't matter I forgot almost everything by now

katastrofa

March 31st, 2021, 2:42 pm

BTW, tagoma, you were the only Twitter account I followed with my old company account (I practically never used it). I'm sure you will find it ennobling ;-D

tagoma

March 31st, 2021, 3:33 pm

BTW, tagoma, you were the only Twitter account I followed with my old company account (I practically never used it). I'm sure you will find it ennobling ;-D

What's the plan with your new twitter account?

katastrofa

March 31st, 2021, 3:49 pm

Added. Can't wait for a daily feed on commodity price trends. Can I has more coffee and choklit pliz?

bearish

March 31st, 2021, 4:56 pm

I have like four people following me. This is odd, since I have never uttered a tweet. Or tweeted an utter.

bearish

March 31st, 2021, 4:57 pm

Utterance!

tagoma

March 31st, 2021, 5:12 pm

Today was not the right day to be bearish ags...

ExSan

March 31st, 2021, 5:59 pm

palindrome!

katastrofa

March 31st, 2021, 7:45 pm

¡Palíndromo espléndido!

BTW, I made a first post. I couldn't expound on the topic of Descartes errors. It would take a book. Which I wouldn't be able to write anyway. And I had to remove "though" from the end of one sentence (character limit) :cry:

Give me a heart and suggest something/someone interesting to follow (I already know most of the science news they propose in my feed).

OMG! Cats channel!

katastrofa

March 31st, 2021, 9:06 pm

Taleb sounds nice and interesting, but I'm afraid of the locos jumping at him. He used some absurd metaphore about evolution in the context of risk management (I'm guessing because I have no idea how to sift the main plot from this crazy noise) and a bunch of people attacked it with some spinned up articles and theories about horizontal gene transfer. I have a theory that the majority of twitter crowd are ill-bred outcasts nobody wants to talk to.
Last edited by katastrofa on March 31st, 2021, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

March 31st, 2021, 10:01 pm

I have like four people following me. This is odd, since I have never uttered a tweet. Or tweeted an utter.
ppauper
TraderJoe
Tunito
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

bearish

April 1st, 2021, 1:39 am

Taleb sounds nice and interesting, but I'm afraid of the locos jumping at him. He used some absurd metaphore about evolution in the context of risk management (I'm guessing because I have no idea how to sift the main plot from this crazy noise) and a bunch of people attacked it with some spinned up articles and theories about horizontal gene transfer. I have a theory that the majority of twitter crowd are ill-bred outcasts nobody wants to talk to.

I used to know Nassim and, as has been remarked by other people - including whichever FT journalist did a lunch with him (weekend feature) a few years ago, he is a delightful character in person. His public image is, I think, largely a commercial venture. And, while not pleasant, a pretty successful one at that.

Cuchulainn

April 1st, 2021, 8:16 am

"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

Whatever it takes.
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

tagoma

April 5th, 2021, 10:14 pm