Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

CactusMan
Topic Author

MD Doctors and DO Doctors in the UK

June 24th, 2014, 4:22 pm

Are there DOs in the UK? Or is every doctor an MD?

ppauper

June 24th, 2014, 6:53 pm

wiki seems to answer your questionI always though DO meant Doctor of Osteopathy, but evidently it means Diploma in Osteopathy, the "DO Doctors" in your heading made me think of that

MattF

June 25th, 2014, 12:02 pm

UK dentists all call themselves "Dr" now.

ppauper

June 25th, 2014, 12:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MattFUK dentists all call themselves "Dr" now.is that by right ?wikiQuoteUnited Kingdom and IrelandMany universities award BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) degrees, including The University of Bristol, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, The University of Birmingham, The University of Liverpool, The University of Manchester, The University of Glasgow, The University of Dundee, The University of Aberdeen, King's College London, the University of Cardiff, Newcastle University, and Queen's University Belfast.In the Republic of Ireland, the University College Cork awards BDS degree and Trinity College Dublin awards the BDentSc degree.The University of Leeds awards BChD and MChD (Bachelor/Master of Dental Surgery) degrees.The Royal Colleges of Surgeons in England, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Ireland award LDS (Licence/Licentiate in Dental Surgery) degrees.in the US and Canada, dentists are "doctors"QuoteDDS vs DMD degreeIn the United States, DDS and DMD degrees are equivalent. The American Dental Association specifies: The DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery) and DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine) are the same degrees. They are awarded upon graduation from dental school to become a general dentist. The majority of dental schools award the DDS degree; however, some award a DMD degree. The education and degrees are, in substance, the same.Harvard University was the first dental school to award the DMD degree.[12] Harvard only grants degrees in Latin, and school administrators thought the Latin translation of Doctor of Dental Surgery ("Chirurgae Dentium Doctoris," or CDD) was too cumbersome. A Latin scholar was consulted and suggested "Medicinae Doctor" be prefixed with "Dentariae." This is how the DMD, or "Dentariae Medicinae Doctor" degree, was started. Other dental schools made the switch to this notation, and in 1989, 23 of the 66 North American dental schools awarded the DMD. There is no meaningful difference between the DMD and DDS degrees, and all dentists must meet the same national and regional certification standards in order to practice.

CactusMan
Topic Author

June 25th, 2014, 5:02 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperwiki seems to answer your questionI always though DO meant Doctor of Osteopathy, but evidently it means Diploma in Osteopathy, the "DO Doctors" in your heading made me think of thatHere in the states, a DO is accepted as a "Doctor". There is no question. In fact, I think most people go to DO and say they went to the "doctor" and don't even think about it.That's probably because they get the same training and can do surgery or anything elsa an MD can do if they have the training.

CactusMan
Topic Author

June 25th, 2014, 5:06 pm

A joke about MDs and DOs:A man goes to an MD and says, "I have terrible stomach cramps and headache." The MD says, "Well, we will set you up for stomach surgery and brain surgery next week." The man is shocked and says, "I want a second opinion."The man goes down the street to a DO. He walks in and says, "I have terrible stomach cramps and headache." The DO says, "Your mother-in-law must be in town. Here is some antiacid and asperin. Go stay with one of your soccer buddies until she leaves, and you will be fine."
Last edited by CactusMan on June 24th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthis

June 25th, 2014, 6:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CactusManQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperwiki seems to answer your questionI always though DO meant Doctor of Osteopathy, but evidently it means Diploma in Osteopathy, the "DO Doctors" in your heading made me think of thatHere in the states, a DO is accepted as a "Doctor". There is no question. In fact, I think most people go to DO and say they went to the "doctor" and don't even think about it.That's probably because they get the same training and can do surgery or anything elsa an MD can do if they have the training.What about Vets? Are they Doctors too?

ppauper

June 25th, 2014, 7:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CactusManQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperwiki seems to answer your questionI always though DO meant Doctor of Osteopathy, but evidently it means Diploma in Osteopathy, the "DO Doctors" in your heading made me think of thatHere in the states, a DO is accepted as a "Doctor". There is no question. In fact, I think most people go to DO and say they went to the "doctor" and don't even think about it.That's probably because they get the same training and can do surgery or anything elsa an MD can do if they have the training.I refer to them as "osteopaths" I've confused myself:evidently, "D.O." means "doctor of osteopathy in the US but "Diploma in Osteopathy" in the UKstupid and confusing to use the same acronym for different things

ppauper

June 25th, 2014, 7:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnthisQuoteOriginally posted by: CactusManQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperwiki seems to answer your questionI always though DO meant Doctor of Osteopathy, but evidently it means Diploma in Osteopathy, the "DO Doctors" in your heading made me think of thatHere in the states, a DO is accepted as a "Doctor". There is no question. In fact, I think most people go to DO and say they went to the "doctor" and don't even think about it.That's probably because they get the same training and can do surgery or anything elsa an MD can do if they have the training.What about Vets? Are they Doctors too?from wiki>> in North America, graduates will receive a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM or VMD) >> whereas in the United Kingdom or India they would be awarded a Bachelor's degree in Veterinary Science, Surgery or Medicine (BVS, BVSc, BVetMed or BVMS), >> and in Ireland graduates receive a Medicina Veterinaria Baccalaureate (MVB).

tags

June 25th, 2014, 7:52 pm

Once I heard some American (a family willing to travel to Paris) asking (seriously) whether there are hospitals in France.

MattF

June 26th, 2014, 2:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: MattFUK dentists all call themselves "Dr" now.is that by right ?No they have no right to do so, but both their professional body and their regulator are fine with it.

Cuchulainn

June 26th, 2014, 6:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaOnce I heard some American (a family willing to travel to Paris) asking (seriously) whether there are hospitals in France.How many?

tags

June 27th, 2014, 5:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaOnce I heard some American (a family willing to travel to Paris) asking (seriously) whether there are hospitals in France.How many?Excellent! This one is for the hall of fame, too.

Cuchulainn

Re: MD Doctors and DO Doctors in the UK

January 31st, 2023, 9:23 pm