Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

leptoq

Re: Gaza neighborhood gone, in one hour

February 21st, 2024, 4:53 pm

Time well spent, no doubt. I believe you can also curse fluently in Ukrainian.
Most of the Ukrainians that I know curse in Russian. I heard very few Ukrainian curses that are different from Russian. Actually Polish has a nice set of profanities. 
And in Portogese?
It's "Portuguese" Mr. C.
Yes, it's a rich language also, my knowledge is limited unfortunately, but profanities cover the full spectrum of emotions/situations 

Cuchulainn

February 21st, 2024, 7:15 pm

Most of the Ukrainians that I know curse in Russian. I heard very few Ukrainian curses that are different from Russian. Actually Polish has a nice set of profanities. 
And in Portogese?
It's "Portuguese" Mr. C.
Yes, it's a rich language also, my knowledge is limited unfortunately, but profanities cover the full spectrum of emotions/situations 
Just testing. Actually, I used the Italian fom "portoghese". It is easy to read if you know Italian and Latin.
Speaking it is another story.

Cuchulainn

February 21st, 2024, 7:59 pm

Were you forced to learn Russian as a kid?

leptoq

February 21st, 2024, 9:38 pm

Were you forced to learn Russian as a kid?
At the time even young generation in Russia mostly didn't speak any other languages (like most Americans :), as opposed to Europeans), so I didn't really have a choice.  

Gamal

February 22nd, 2024, 11:03 am

Lithuanian Jew! Quite a decent tribe.

Cuchulainn

February 22nd, 2024, 1:46 pm

Lithuanian Jew! Quite a decent tribe.
Some of my best friends are Lithuanian.

leptoq

February 22nd, 2024, 3:04 pm

You might like this movie about Lithuania

Cuchulainn

February 22nd, 2024, 9:11 pm

Is that a film noir?

leptoq

February 22nd, 2024, 10:22 pm

Is that a film noir?
It's close to "film noir" (somewhat reminds Guy Ritchie movies, but with local colors), perhaps, more accurate description would be "dark comedy". It's made by Lithuanian director who lives in UK, so the story starts in UK and then ends up in Lithuania. (no spoilers here, besides what trailer shows). 
I was laughing so hard when I saw it. Some details of Lithuania  are hilarious. 
P.S. If you watch it and don't like it, I will be really surprised (considering that you liked "Clockwise Orange")

Cuchulainn

February 22nd, 2024, 11:53 pm

Is that a film noir?
It's close to "film noir" (somewhat reminds Guy Ritchie movies, but with local colors), perhaps, more accurate description would be "dark comedy". It's made by Lithuanian director who lives in UK, so the story starts in UK and then ends up in Lithuania. (no spoilers here, besides what trailer shows). 
I was laughing so hard when I saw it. Some details of Lithuania  are hilarious. 
P.S. If you watch it and don't like it, I will be really surprised (considering that you liked "Clockwise Orange")
A Little of the Old Ultra Violence? How awful?

BTW I heard that the prisons in Vilnius are a horrow show.

leptoq

February 23rd, 2024, 4:03 pm

I wouldn't say the movie is too violent (by my standards). Tom and Jerry is more violent and it targets kids without dispensing marijuana. 
I've visited a prison next to Vilnius to attend the wedding of my classmate who was doing time for racketeering. 
The party was fun. Not sure what changed since then. My classmate ultimately moved to US with his wife, last I spoke to him he became a hard core member of Democratic party. 

Gamal

February 23rd, 2024, 9:21 pm

Twice as violent as Guy Ritchie, but without his sense of humor.

Marsden

March 8th, 2024, 4:03 pm

Deaths from starvation beginning to be reported. https://apnews.com/article/gaza-malnutr ... c162da1a37

It seems likely -- and to be clear, I have no expertise in how famines play out -- that the death toll from Israel's assault on Gaza is going to skyrocket: I can't imagine that when you get the first reports of death by starvation that everyone but those that died is doing fine, and there has been no additional aid in any amount that would be necessary to stave off mass deaths in the past couple of weeks as the IDF and private Israeli citizens have been blocking aid convoys.

In the American news media, I expect that the deaths from starvation will, one way or another, be presented as having nothing to do with Israel's assault, but only very very stupid people will believe that. And only very very dishonest people will pretend they believe it.

And even if the death toll doesn't get too high -- I have to think 100,000 total up from the 30,000-ish reported is probably a given; I hope I'm wrong -- what will a generation of children who spent weeks in their formative years seriously undernourished grow up to be?

Anyway, FINALLY American President Joe Biden seems to have awakened to the realization that Israel -- and particularly Netanyahu -- is not a reliable partner in any efforts to minimize the hardships of innocent Gazans, and a seaborne relief effort is being started. But it remains to be seen when results from that can be realized, and how effectively relief will be disseminated once on shore.

Cuchulainn

March 8th, 2024, 5:26 pm

"Operation successful but the patient died."

Israeli citizens have been blocking aid convoys.
Yeah, disgusting orcs.
Living the  Exodus XVII:XIV vision.

Cuchulainn

March 8th, 2024, 5:34 pm

I wouldn't say the movie is too violent (by my standards). Tom and Jerry is more violent and it targets kids without dispensing marijuana. 
I've visited a prison next to Vilnius to attend the wedding of my classmate who was doing time for racketeering. 
The party was fun. Not sure what changed since then. My classmate ultimately moved to US with his wife, last I spoke to him he became a hard core member of Democratic party. 
Let me guess; he was a gun-runner; did they do a sting operation on your droogie? This guy? "The story of errrb’s arrest could have come from the pen of Ian Fleming or John le Carré; it involved an agent working under cover, a supporting cast of British and Lithuanian "role players", and a sting that took years to set up.

Though all the details may never be revealed, enough has emerged during the court hearings in Vilnius to describe the trap that was laid for errrb, and how he walked into it."

Stupid boy

BTW Guy Ritchie is a real judoka (Budokwai London since age 7), not one of yer faux Soviet sambos.