SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

AnalyticalVega
Topic Author

Which are your top 5 favorite countries?

September 23rd, 2014, 5:52 pm

Which are your top 5 countries to live in?https://www.udemy.com/blog/best-countries-to-live-in/

Cuchulainn

September 23rd, 2014, 5:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaWhich are your top 5 countries to live in?https://www.udemy.com/blog/best-countri ... ve-in/Yawn.

trackstar

September 23rd, 2014, 6:00 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaWhich are your top 5 countries to live in?https://www.udemy.com/blog/best-countries-to-live-in/1) England for work and also the Lakes District2) Scotland and Ireland for places in the country3) Switzerland (Geneva, then Zurich)4) US North East Coast, West Coast (SF and Seattle), Colorado and Wyoming5) Bermuda - with a nice racing yacht waiting thereAdditional vacation homes in Provence, Tuscany, and Scandinavia (exact location TBD, but probably outside of Stockholm - have not been to Helsinki yet, so hard to say).** Powerpuff may disagree with this selection. Arguments on behalf of any other Scandi-nations are welcome.
Last edited by trackstar on September 23rd, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnalyticalVega
Topic Author

September 23rd, 2014, 6:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaWhich are your top 5 countries to live in?https://www.udemy.com/blog/best-countries-to-live-in/1) England for work and also the Lakes District2) Scotland for a place in the country3) Switzerland (Geneva, then Zurich)4) US North East Coast, West Coast (SF and Seattle), Colorado and Wyoming5) Bermuda - with a nice racing yacht waiting thereAdditional vacation homes in Provence, Tuscany, and Scandinavia (exact location TBD, but probably outside of Stockholm - have not been to Helsinki yet, so hard to say).** Powerpuff may disagree with this selection. Arguments on behalf of any other Scandi-nations are welcome.Bermuda is very small, maybe to visit but living there all year is tough. UK has high taxes. Not sure what the attraction is. Sure the countryside is nice, but the US and Switzerland have nice countrysides as well with lower taxes.
Last edited by AnalyticalVega on September 22nd, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

September 23rd, 2014, 6:12 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaBermuda is very small, maybe to visit but living there all year is tough.Bermuda is fine: solid financial sector, yacht racing, polo, and golf. The civilized life.I don't have any desire to visit hot NY night clubs and see hundreds of new faces every week.A glass of Scotch with an old friend at the end of the day is good enough for me.**Taxes do not govern my decisions at all. If you worry about taxes, then work harder and make more money.Or find tax havens on remote islands and live there for an appropriate period of time each year.
Last edited by trackstar on September 22nd, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

September 23rd, 2014, 6:37 pm

Besides the US (Colorado), I'd give high marks to Singapore, New Zealand, and Australia. The range of cuisines in Singapore more than offsets the brutal equatorial sun.I liked Iceland and Norway in the summer but know that I could never tolerate their dark winters. The UK drops out for me on this issue, too. I once had a mid-winter business trip to London and never saw daylight. Switzerland has great landscapes, but the high costs and disadvantages of not being Swiss make it more of a place to visit than to live. Hong Kong has a really nice blend of high-energy city life and more natural non-city opportunities -- vastly better than sprawling metropolises like NYC or LA -- but friends who have lived their say that there's an undercurrent of people trying to take advantage of other people.

AnalyticalVega
Topic Author

September 23rd, 2014, 7:57 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaBesides the US (Colorado), I'd give high marks to Singapore, New Zealand, and Australia. The range of cuisines in Singapore more than offsets the brutal equatorial sun.I liked Iceland and Norway in the summer but know that I could never tolerate their dark winters. The UK drops out for me on this issue, too. I once had a mid-winter business trip to London and never saw daylight. Switzerland has great landscapes, but the high costs and disadvantages of not being Swiss make it more of a place to visit than to live. Hong Kong has a really nice blend of high-energy city life and more natural non-city opportunities -- vastly better than sprawling metropolises like NYC or LA -- but friends who have lived their say that there's an undercurrent of people trying to take advantage of other people.I agree with you, but I would add Switzerland:1) US (Land of the free! Even with Obama, the US is still doing great) 2) Switzerland ( high costs, but lower taxes even things out a bit) 3) New Zealand (No real army is a minus) 4) Australia (Water shortages and high costs are minuses) 5) Singapore (Very small island, Risk of being wiped out by a tsunami, In a dangerous part of the world)

tagoma

September 23rd, 2014, 8:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaWhich are your top 5 countries to live in?https://www.udemy.com/blog/best-countri ... e-in/those rankings are ridiculous.

AnalyticalVega
Topic Author

September 23rd, 2014, 8:24 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaWhich are your top 5 countries to live in?https://www.udemy.com/blog/best-countri ... e-in/those rankings are ridiculous.Which countries were ranked incorrectly?

tagoma

September 23rd, 2014, 8:29 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaWhich are your top 5 countries to live in?https://www.udemy.com/blog/best-countri ... e-in/those rankings are ridiculous.Which countries were ranked incorrectly?Yawnland

AnalyticalVega
Topic Author

September 23rd, 2014, 8:39 pm

http://www.prosperity.com/#!/Israel is ranked 39th due to Hamas, Hizabullah, and Palestinian terror attacks. Once those problems are dealt with, I'm sure Israel will be in the top 10.

Traden4Alpha

September 23rd, 2014, 8:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaBesides the US (Colorado), I'd give high marks to Singapore, New Zealand, and Australia. The range of cuisines in Singapore more than offsets the brutal equatorial sun.I liked Iceland and Norway in the summer but know that I could never tolerate their dark winters. The UK drops out for me on this issue, too. I once had a mid-winter business trip to London and never saw daylight. Switzerland has great landscapes, but the high costs and disadvantages of not being Swiss make it more of a place to visit than to live. Hong Kong has a really nice blend of high-energy city life and more natural non-city opportunities -- vastly better than sprawling metropolises like NYC or LA -- but friends who have lived their say that there's an undercurrent of people trying to take advantage of other people.I agree with you, but I would add Switzerland:1) US (Land of the free! Even with Obama, the US is still doing great) 2) Switzerland ( high costs, but lower taxes even things out a bit) 3) New Zealand (No real army is a minus) 4) Australia (Water shortages and high costs are minuses) 5) Singapore (Very small island, Risk of being wiped out by a tsunami, In a dangerous part of the world)Good points! I don't see New Zealand's lack of an army as a problem --they are so far from anyone dangerous. The Swiss, on the other hand, are also in a dangerous part of the world and their neutrality does not protect against radioactive fallout.

tagoma

September 23rd, 2014, 8:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaBesides the US (Colorado), I'd give high marks to Singapore, New Zealand, and Australia. The range of cuisines in Singapore more than offsets the brutal equatorial sun.I liked Iceland and Norway in the summer but know that I could never tolerate their dark winters. The UK drops out for me on this issue, too. I once had a mid-winter business trip to London and never saw daylight. Switzerland has great landscapes, but the high costs and disadvantages of not being Swiss make it more of a place to visit than to live. Hong Kong has a really nice blend of high-energy city life and more natural non-city opportunities -- vastly better than sprawling metropolises like NYC or LA -- but friends who have lived their say that there's an undercurrent of people trying to take advantage of other people.I agree with you, but I would add Switzerland:1) US (Land of the free! Even with Obama, the US is still doing great) 2) Switzerland ( high costs, but lower taxes even things out a bit) 3) New Zealand (No real army is a minus) 4) Australia (Water shortages and high costs are minuses) 5) Singapore (Very small island, Risk of being wiped out by a tsunami, In a dangerous part of the world)Good points! I don't see New Zealand's lack of an army as a problem --they are so far from anyone dangerous. The Swiss, on the other hand, are also in a dangerous part of the world and their neutrality does not protect against radioactive fallout.Switzerland is hazardous! Pedestrians are likely to be hit by a Porsche.

Powerpuff

September 23rd, 2014, 8:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaWhich are your top 5 countries to live in?https://www.udemy.com/blog/best-countries-to-live-in/1) England for work and also the Lakes District2) Scotland for a place in the country3) Switzerland (Geneva, then Zurich)4) US North East Coast, West Coast (SF and Seattle), Colorado and Wyoming5) Bermuda - with a nice racing yacht waiting thereAdditional vacation homes in Provence, Tuscany, and Scandinavia (exact location TBD, but probably outside of Stockholm - have not been to Helsinki yet, so hard to say).** Powerpuff may disagree with this selection. Arguments on behalf of any other Scandi-nations are welcome.Iceland = cool volcanoes and horsesNorway= fjords + northern lightsDenmark = Roskilde festival and great beaches But you choose to vacation in Sweden???
Last edited by Powerpuff on September 22nd, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnalyticalVega
Topic Author

September 23rd, 2014, 8:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaBesides the US (Colorado), I'd give high marks to Singapore, New Zealand, and Australia. The range of cuisines in Singapore more than offsets the brutal equatorial sun.I liked Iceland and Norway in the summer but know that I could never tolerate their dark winters. The UK drops out for me on this issue, too. I once had a mid-winter business trip to London and never saw daylight. Switzerland has great landscapes, but the high costs and disadvantages of not being Swiss make it more of a place to visit than to live. Hong Kong has a really nice blend of high-energy city life and more natural non-city opportunities -- vastly better than sprawling metropolises like NYC or LA -- but friends who have lived their say that there's an undercurrent of people trying to take advantage of other people.I agree with you, but I would add Switzerland:1) US (Land of the free! Even with Obama, the US is still doing great) 2) Switzerland ( high costs, but lower taxes even things out a bit) 3) New Zealand (No real army is a minus) 4) Australia (Water shortages and high costs are minuses) 5) Singapore (Very small island, Risk of being wiped out by a tsunami, In a dangerous part of the world)Good points! I don't see New Zealand's lack of an army as a problem --they are so far from anyone dangerous. The Swiss, on the other hand, are also in a dangerous part of the world and their neutrality does not protect against radioactive fallout.You think Russia will attack central and western Europe with nukes? So far they only threatened to use tactical nukes against a large NATO force attack. They would probably only use large nukes against countries sufficiently far away from them. Still, if the Russians Nuke the UK or France, the fallout could drift over Switzerland. You have a point.
Last edited by AnalyticalVega on September 22nd, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On