Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

ppauper

Which are your top 5 favorite countries?

March 18th, 2016, 2:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaEvery country has it's pluses and minuses. I'd prefer to amalgamate the best of favorites into the ultimate country with:New Zealand's natural beauty & climatelol, tourists get beaten, bashed, buggered, burgled, and driven over, but at least the scenery is perty?

daveangel

March 18th, 2016, 2:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaEvery country has it's pluses and minuses. I'd prefer to amalgamate the best of favorites into the ultimate country with:New Zealand's natural beauty & climatelol, tourists get beaten, bashed, buggered, burgled, and driven over, but at least the scenery is perty?once again your use of "lol" is questionable.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

ppauper

March 18th, 2016, 2:24 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaEvery country has it's pluses and minuses. I'd prefer to amalgamate the best of favorites into the ultimate country with:New Zealand's natural beauty & climatelol, tourists get beaten, bashed, buggered, burgled, and driven over, but at least the scenery is perty?once again your use of "lol" is questionable."irony"

daveangel

March 18th, 2016, 3:16 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaEvery country has it's pluses and minuses. I'd prefer to amalgamate the best of favorites into the ultimate country with:New Zealand's natural beauty & climatelol, tourists get beaten, bashed, buggered, burgled, and driven over, but at least the scenery is perty?once again your use of "lol" is questionable."irony"so it's an ilol
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

Traden4Alpha

March 18th, 2016, 3:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaEvery country has it's pluses and minuses. I'd prefer to amalgamate the best of favorites into the ultimate country with:New Zealand's natural beauty & climatelol, tourists get beaten, bashed, buggered, burgled, and driven over, but at least the scenery is perty?once again your use of "lol" is questionable."irony"so it's an ilolNo it's "loll" as in ppauper's tongue is hanging out at the thought of buggery.

Traden4Alpha

March 18th, 2016, 3:38 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnAnd suicide rates are probably better indicator of happiness than some skewed Northern European centred think tank. "happiness" is a Western concept and may not translate to other cultures where the "group" is the social unit.So, all these results are BS IMO.Ex. Finland is #5 happy and #26 suicidal. Can you explain. Ireland#19, #59NL#7, #87No, they are different. Suicide rates reflect the (un)happiness of a minuscule fraction of the population.In fact, societal happiness may be anti-correlated with suicide -- if the unhappy people kill themselves, then the average happiness of the remaining population increases!To counter-argue T4A - Say J.Bieber commits suicide because he was unhappy (eg he couldn't make it with K.Kardashian). This tragedy would probably result in unhappiness in the blieber population that one can argue could be higher than J.Bieber unhappiness.(here, we don't consider whether K.Kardashian is a blieber, her weight (!) in the population, etc... just to keep things simple)Excellent point! It's true that suicide decrements the number of deeply unhappy people by only 1 but induces some incremental unhappiness in N people close to the suicidal person. Yet those friends and family of the suicidee also suffered some incremental unhappiness from the depression and problems of the suicidee before their death.The unhappiness among friends and family that is induced by a suicide decays over time. The unhappiness among friends and family that is induced by a seriously depressed person who continues to live will only accumulate (and spread as the depressed person makes others around them depressed, too). Thus, each suicide induces a transient uptick in unhappiness but a long-term increase in happiness.

ppauper

March 18th, 2016, 3:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaEvery country has it's pluses and minuses. I'd prefer to amalgamate the best of favorites into the ultimate country with:New Zealand's natural beauty & climatelol, tourists get beaten, bashed, buggered, burgled, and driven over, but at least the scenery is perty?once again your use of "lol" is questionable."irony"so it's an ilolNo it's "loll" as in ppauper's tongue is hanging out at the thought of buggery.no, it's an ironic lol that t4a would make such a trade-off

Cuchulainn

March 18th, 2016, 10:24 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulAlphabetical order:ArgentinaChinaIsle of ManUnited KingdomUnited States of AmericaPI like Isle of Man. Especially Castletown (the pier and that little school house across the water from Jeremy Clarkson's lighthouse). Peel is also nice and the cobbled streets. AFAIR that was your holiday place?Were the horse-drawn carriages in Douglas in your time? It was an issue for local government what to do with the ~ 60 poor redundant horses?When we were there the headline news was the major scuffle at a Douglas chipper.Up at Laxey mines we were attacked by swarms of killer bees. The local government officers cordoned off the whole area until it was safe to proceed.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on March 18th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

March 19th, 2016, 1:16 pm

I like Castletown and Peel. I used to have relatives in Peel. In 2001 my family won a Peel sandcastle-building competition.Isn't Clarkson getting divorced? His wife is Manx, so I guess he won't be visiting the island so much. Shame, since some some roads have no speed limit.I didn't know the horse-drawn tram had gone. According to Wikipedia it lost £263,000 in 2015. How could they possibly lose that much money???P

Cuchulainn

Re: Which are your top 5 favorite countries?

February 25th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Finally, an end to tipping. From Fiat to robot arms