Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

CactusMan
Topic Author

Research Mathematicians

November 12th, 2014, 11:35 pm

That sounds inteteresting. I would like to see this work.

GrenvilleCroll

Research Mathematicians

November 13th, 2014, 6:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunQuoteOriginally posted by: GrenvilleCrollI recently proved explicitly that the sequence of prime numbers is not periodic. Does that make me a bona fide research mathematician? you proved that every next prime number is larger than the previous one? Sounds indeed interesting!Your proof sounds more complex than mine. I win thanks to occam's razor and your lack of prior publication!Awesome, innit!It would be interesting to see your proof of the absence of periodicity for all periods due to the fact that every prime is bigger than the previous one.

katastrofa

Research Mathematicians

November 13th, 2014, 10:36 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: GrenvilleCrollQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunQuoteOriginally posted by: GrenvilleCrollI recently proved explicitly that the sequence of prime numbers is not periodic. Does that make me a bona fide research mathematician? you proved that every next prime number is larger than the previous one? Sounds indeed interesting!Your proof sounds more complex than mine. I win thanks to occam's razor and your lack of prior publication!Awesome, innit!It would be interesting to see your proof of the absence of periodicity for all periods due to the fact that every prime is bigger than the previous one.So you simply say that primes 2 and 3 are two consecutive numbers and, since 2 is the only even prime, there cannot be any other pair of consecutive primes and hence the distribution of primes cannot be periodic. It would be clearer if you didn't use the "binary representation", which in fact has nothing to do with binary representation, in some futile attempt to make it look less trivial.

Gamal

Research Mathematicians

November 14th, 2014, 7:56 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CactusManQuoteOriginally posted by: GamalWill financial research do?If it's really interesting. I don't see a lot in this area that excites me.QuoteOriginally posted by: CactusManHow do you deal with the boredom of business? You seem to be pretty bored these days. Mid-life crisis?

MiloRambaldi

Research Mathematicians

November 14th, 2014, 4:36 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: GrenvilleCrollQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunQuoteOriginally posted by: GrenvilleCrollI recently proved explicitly that the sequence of prime numbers is not periodic. Does that make me a bona fide research mathematician? you proved that every next prime number is larger than the previous one? Sounds indeed interesting!Your proof sounds more complex than mine. I win thanks to occam's razor and your lack of prior publication!Awesome, innit!It would be interesting to see your proof of the absence of periodicity for all periods due to the fact that every prime is bigger than the previous one.I took a very brief look at the paper, and noticed 2 things:I did not read enough to know what the paper is about, but there is a problem with your definition of a periodic finite binary string (page 3, line 12). According to the definition every finite string is periodic: Just take any P >= n.On page 8, you call the statement that the sequence of prime number is not periodic a "corollary". Corollary means that it follows from an already established result, but you don't say what your (trivial) statement follows from. You could mention the very slightly less trivial statement that the characteristic function of the prime numbers is not eventually periodic.

Cuchulainn

Research Mathematicians

November 14th, 2014, 4:47 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: GamalQuoteOriginally posted by: CactusManQuoteOriginally posted by: GamalWill financial research do?If it's really interesting. I don't see a lot in this area that excites me.QuoteOriginally posted by: CactusManHow do you deal with the boredom of business? You seem to be pretty bored these days. Mid-life crisis?This happens a lot I've seen coming up to the Winter Solstice. After December 21 the days are getting longer and c____sm__ will be all right.It's very un-American behavior which is get up and go. Or maybe just plain tired...
Last edited by Cuchulainn on November 13th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

Research Mathematicians

November 16th, 2014, 10:44 am

QuoteYour proof sounds more complex than mine. I win thanks to occam's razor and your lack of prior publication!Indeed.Talk is cheap. Publish or perish.

CactusMan
Topic Author

Research Mathematicians

November 17th, 2014, 1:07 am

You never sent me your work. If I don't see this maths, I am going to start beheading people!(No disrespect intended to those victims in the news. God rest their soul. May they be in a better place with our benevelot creator.)
Last edited by CactusMan on November 16th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gamal

Research Mathematicians

November 17th, 2014, 7:28 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CactusManIf I don't see this maths, I am going to start beheading people!Brilliant idea. May I have some suggestions?

katastrofa

Research Mathematicians

November 17th, 2014, 11:39 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteYour proof sounds more complex than mine. I win thanks to occam's razor and your lack of prior publication!Indeed.Talk is cheap. Publish or perish.Hanging something on the Web next to the video of someone's cat vomiting a hairball (I couldn't help the association, sorry) is not publishing.

Cuchulainn

Research Mathematicians

November 17th, 2014, 1:08 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteYour proof sounds more complex than mine. I win thanks to occam's razor and your lack of prior publication!Indeed.Talk is cheap. Publish or perish.Hanging something on the Web next to the video of someone's cat vomiting a hairball (I couldn't help the association, sorry) is not publishing.We need referees.

Traden4Alpha

Research Mathematicians

November 17th, 2014, 1:16 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteYour proof sounds more complex than mine. I win thanks to occam's razor and your lack of prior publication!Indeed.Talk is cheap. Publish or perish.Hanging something on the Web next to the video of someone's cat vomiting a hairball (I couldn't help the association, sorry) is not publishing.We need referees.Prepared paired peers peering, what?