SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Re: "Unified Revolution" new book by Espen Haug

January 12th, 2019, 7:15 pm

Einstein was like that when he was starting

He skipped Lagrangian mechanics as an undergraduate?
may be an answer to your question: Einstein's Studies at the Polytechnic Institute in Zurich (1896–1900)

It you take a look at the document "Matrikel Albert Einstein", his grades vary from 4 to 6 (with an outilier of 1).
In Switzerland (still today), the grades are on a basis of 6.
I think also "women problem" that kept him out of the lecture halls?

trackstar

January 12th, 2019, 7:31 pm

on the question of grades, the story goes a little deeper.

some biographers have researched that and came up with an interesting finding - a change of policy concerning the 1-6 scale:

Einstein Revealed as Brilliant in Youth - NYT February 14 1984

"Although some Einstein biographers have disputed the widely held belief that Einstein was a poor student, the papers at Princeton lay this to rest, once and for all. According to Dr. Stachel, those who saw Einstein's academic records may have been misled by a reversal in the grading system of his school in Aargau, Switzerland.

Those records show that, for two successive terms, when Einstein was 16, his mark in arithmetic and algebra was 1 on a scale of 6, in which 1 was the highest grade. For the next term his mark was 6, which would have been the lowest grade, except that the grading scale had been reversed by school officials."

He did have trouble with French though. There are details on that in the same article

But anyway, grades are just a piece of the puzzle - a snapshot of a moment.  You could struggle and struggle for a long time and then one day - a breakthrough.

ppauper

January 12th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Einstein was like that when he was starting

He skipped Lagrangian mechanics as an undergraduate?
may be an answer to your question: Einstein's Studies at the Polytechnic Institute in Zurich (1896–1900)

It you take a look at the document "Matrikel Albert Einstein", his grades vary from 4 to 6 (with an outilier of 1).
I had no idea that Einstein was trans

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 12th, 2019, 10:50 pm

Doppler effect.

katastrofa

January 13th, 2019, 11:27 am

I didn't mean that Einstein was an idiot or a poor student (so isn't Collector). I'd note that he had Milena during his uni years and his letters to her suggest that they worked together, though. I was rather thinking about his initial attempts at formulating the general relativity theory - he wanted to go beyond the Euclidean geometry, but he didn't know differential geometry, and when he learnt it he still couldn't use it. He asked Grossman for help and they put Einstein's ideas together. Similarly, the special relativity theory took its final form thanks to collaboration with Lorentz (maybe people in the field would say that the theory was created by Lorentz, and it was initially called Lorentz-Einstein).
Last edited by katastrofa on January 13th, 2019, 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

katastrofa

January 13th, 2019, 11:29 am

I had no idea that Einstein was trans
Please stop harassing me with this photo (or give some warning). It gives me a PMS-like pain.

Collector

January 13th, 2019, 11:39 am

"a poor student"
Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 12.37.22 PM.png

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 13th, 2019, 4:11 pm

Collector

January 27th, 2019, 11:44 am

I looked into Minkowski space-time for some time now.  

\(c^2dt^2-dx^2-dy^2-dz^2=ds^2\)

for years I wondered about the squaring, squared time interval what is the intuition behind it except pure math? dose square time intervals give much intuition at the quantum level?... it is now clear to me that the squaring is needed to get rid of \(v\) in the space-time interval to get it invariant. This is however not needed in the special case where all causal events are linked over distance with the speed of light. This is interesting as under atomism all causal events inside elementary particles are linked over the distance of the Compton length by the speed of light (the speed of the indivisible particle). Now we suddenly get a invariant space-time off the simpler form

\(cdt-dx-dy-dz=0\)

This is linked to the Lorentz transformation. I am only interested in causal events, so then \( t=\frac{L}{v_2}\) where \(v_2\leq c\) for all causal events, in Lorentz Minkowski framework we have

\begin{eqnarray}
c^2t'^2-x'^2&=&\left(\frac{t-\frac{L}{c^2} v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\right)^2c^2-\left(\frac{L -tv}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\right)^2  \nonumber\\
&&\left(\frac{\frac{L}{v_2}-\frac{L}{c^2} v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\right)^2c^2-\left(\frac{L -\frac{L}{v_2}v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\right)^2 \nonumber\\
&&\left(\frac{L \frac{c}{v_2}-L \frac{v}{c}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\right)^2-\left(\frac{L -L \frac{v}{v_2}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\right)^2 \nonumber \\
&&\frac{L^2-2L^2\frac{v}{v_2}+L^2 \frac{v^2}{v_2^2}}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}-\frac{L^2 \frac{c^2}{v_2^2}-2L^2\frac{v}{v_2}+
L^2 \frac{v^2}{c^2}}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}} \nonumber \\
&&\frac{L^2+L^2 \frac{v^2}{v_2^2}-L^2 \frac{c^2}{v_2^2}-L^2 \frac{v^2}{c^2}}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}} \nonumber \\
&&\frac{L^2\left(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}+\frac{v^2}{v_2^2}-\frac{c^2}{v_2^2}\right)}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}} \nonumber \\
&&\frac{L^2\left(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}\right)\left(1-\frac{c^2}{v_2^2}\right)}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}\nonumber \\
&&L^2\left(1-\frac{c^2}{v_2^2}\right)
\end{eqnarray}

indeed a invariant space-time interval. So yes the squaring is needed to get rid of v, without the squaring v dose not disappear and the space-time interval is then not independent of what frame it is observed from (v is the speed between reference frames, \(v_2\) is the speed that causality is transferred as observed from the rest frame). However in the special case all causal events are linked by the speed of light \(v_2=c\) over a distance, then we do not need to square to get rid of the v, then we get invariant space-time on the simpler form \(cdt-dx-dy-dz=0\).  

Minkowski space-time seems to be unnecessarily complex  for the deepest quantum level (as it is a top-down theory) where the space-time interval with or without squaring always is zero

\begin{eqnarray}
t'c-x' &=&\frac{\frac{\bar{\lambda}}{c}-\frac{\bar{\lambda}}{c^2} v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}c-\frac{\bar{\lambda} -\frac{\bar{\lambda}}{c}v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\nonumber\\
&=&\frac{\bar{\lambda}-\frac{\bar{\lambda}}{c} v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}-\frac{\bar{\lambda} -\frac{\bar{\lambda}}{c}v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}=0
\end{eqnarray}

No matter the value of v (naturally inside v<c or fully correct \( v\leq c\sqrt{1-\frac{l_p^2}{\bar{\lambda}^2}} )\) this space-time interval is invariant as it always is zero. The key is to understand mass is Compton clocks!

It is also worth mentioning that it is unclear in modern QM if their theory is consistent with Minkowski:  Minkowski Space-Time and Quantum Mechanics

I added a section to my New QM (some typos in the latest section there I see that I will fix soon)

At the deepest level there is only Planck mass events (lasting for one Planck second), that is collisions between the building blocks of light, and then there is light connecting these Planck mass events, simply indivisibles moving and colliding. So all Planck mass events are connected with the speed of light in this binary world.

The new quantum-space time is a special case of Minkowski where all causality is linked by the speed of light. The new space-time geometry

\(cdt-dx-dy-dz=0\)

is always invariant. We are talking about the internal structure of elementary particles. In the internal structure of elementary particles that happens over the Compton scale all events are linked with the speed of light (the speed of the indivisible). Still two electrons can naturally move at velocity v relative to each other, my theory take this into account. 

Forget the standard QM fantasy of de Broglie wave with infinite wavelength at rest and superluminal velocities that not can carry information, when you work with de Broglie and think it represent something real (and not simply is a derivative) then one get the strangest interpretations. To link a QM theory rooted in de Broglie to Minkowski space-time is no easy task. But to link a Compton wave model to simplified Minkowski is likely consistent.
Last edited by Collector on January 28th, 2019, 2:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Collector

January 27th, 2019, 1:01 pm

I wonder also if the Minkowski mystical formula: "\(\sqrt{-1}\) seconds",  then is not needed in the Compton clock model of matter, but not sure on it yet, I try to imagine the possibilities here. Only for a invariant space time interval ds^2<> 0 it seems needed?? in the Compton QM model we always get ds=0 (and naturally ds^2=0). Because matter is time and time is matter and causality at the deepest quantum level is linked to the speed of light, Compton clocks.

"Also, Sommerfeld’s recollection of what Einstein said on one occasion can provide further indication of his initial attitude towards Minkowski’s development of the implications of the equivalence of the times of observers in relative motion: “Since the mathematicians have invaded the relativity theory, I do not under- stand it myself any more”"

FaridMoussaoui

January 28th, 2019, 3:12 pm

That formula ([$] 3 \times 10^5 ~km = \sqrt[]{-1}~sec [$]) reminds me of the likes of Ramanujan divergent series (1 + 2 + 3 + ... = -1/12) that can be understood as the Zeta function regularisation ([$] \zeta(-1) = -1/12 [$]).

FaridMoussaoui

January 28th, 2019, 3:54 pm

As I am learning as I write, it was Poincaré who introduced the "Wick-rotated" time coordinate as [$]x_4 = i c t [$] in his 1905 paper "Sur la dynamique de l'électron". But Minkonwski didn't quote this work while he was aware of it.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Translat ... ron_(July)
Last edited by FaridMoussaoui on January 28th, 2019, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 28th, 2019, 3:58 pm

never mind. My bad.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 28th, 2019, 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

katastrofa

January 28th, 2019, 4:27 pm

I also instantly thought about Wick rotation when I read your post! Letting my imagination off the leash, the space-time interval in the Minkowski space means that all reference frames are equivalent under rotations. Set of equivalent reference frames sounds like statistics. Theory of ergodicity sounds like Wick rotation: you can put all those reference frames next to each other and say that Galilean interval between points in any two frames is preserved or, equivalently, you can watch the systems one after another like a movie and say that they behave the same (the spacetime interval is preserved). Wick rotation is simply a transition between the two views: it takes the dimension in which you lined up the systems to measure the Galilean interval and turns it into the time dimension in the second picture. Zeta function is a partition function of complex dimension/time (mental shortcut, but if you follow the idea you might get it). Et voila! Now you can use wick rotation again to twist this statistical picture into a quantum one and maybe see why our laws of physics emerge instead of others, etc. It sounds like nonsense and requires a much longer post, but I don't spend that much time in the loo... :-D

Collector

January 28th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Wicked!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On