SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Re: "Unified Revolution" new book by Espen Haug

January 12th, 2019, 7:15 pm

Einstein was like that when he was starting

He skipped Lagrangian mechanics as an undergraduate?
may be an answer to your question: Einstein's Studies at the Polytechnic Institute in Zurich (1896–1900)

It you take a look at the document "Matrikel Albert Einstein", his grades vary from 4 to 6 (with an outilier of 1).
In Switzerland (still today), the grades are on a basis of 6.
I think also "women problem" that kept him out of the lecture halls?

trackstar

January 12th, 2019, 7:31 pm

on the question of grades, the story goes a little deeper.

some biographers have researched that and came up with an interesting finding - a change of policy concerning the 1-6 scale:

Einstein Revealed as Brilliant in Youth - NYT February 14 1984

"Although some Einstein biographers have disputed the widely held belief that Einstein was a poor student, the papers at Princeton lay this to rest, once and for all. According to Dr. Stachel, those who saw Einstein's academic records may have been misled by a reversal in the grading system of his school in Aargau, Switzerland.

Those records show that, for two successive terms, when Einstein was 16, his mark in arithmetic and algebra was 1 on a scale of 6, in which 1 was the highest grade. For the next term his mark was 6, which would have been the lowest grade, except that the grading scale had been reversed by school officials."

He did have trouble with French though. There are details on that in the same article

But anyway, grades are just a piece of the puzzle - a snapshot of a moment.  You could struggle and struggle for a long time and then one day - a breakthrough.

ppauper

January 12th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Einstein was like that when he was starting

He skipped Lagrangian mechanics as an undergraduate?
may be an answer to your question: Einstein's Studies at the Polytechnic Institute in Zurich (1896–1900)

It you take a look at the document "Matrikel Albert Einstein", his grades vary from 4 to 6 (with an outilier of 1).
I had no idea that Einstein was trans

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 12th, 2019, 10:50 pm

Doppler effect.

katastrofa

January 13th, 2019, 11:27 am

I didn't mean that Einstein was an idiot or a poor student (so isn't Collector). I'd note that he had Milena during his uni years and his letters to her suggest that they worked together, though. I was rather thinking about his initial attempts at formulating the general relativity theory - he wanted to go beyond the Euclidean geometry, but he didn't know differential geometry, and when he learnt it he still couldn't use it. He asked Grossman for help and they put Einstein's ideas together. Similarly, the special relativity theory took its final form thanks to collaboration with Lorentz (maybe people in the field would say that the theory was created by Lorentz, and it was initially called Lorentz-Einstein).
Last edited by katastrofa on January 13th, 2019, 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

katastrofa

January 13th, 2019, 11:29 am

I had no idea that Einstein was trans
Please stop harassing me with this photo (or give some warning). It gives me a PMS-like pain.

Collector

January 13th, 2019, 11:39 am

"a poor student"
Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 12.37.22 PM.png

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 13th, 2019, 4:11 pm

ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On