Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Traden4Alpha

"Unified Revolution" new book by Espen Haug

December 6th, 2014, 12:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnThat book the girl is reading is a cliffhanger. Exciting.Maybe it is about the "rules" of gravity!Or maybe it's for a class in Knot Theory in which, in this case, getting a 99 on the final exam is fatal.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 6th, 2014, 1:18 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppaupermaybe it's just the camera angle, but that looks very precarious, like it's sloping downwards as you go away from the cliff, and I'm wondering why the two campers don't slide offThey've got each other to hold on to if they slip.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 6th, 2014, 1:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppaupermaybe it's just the camera angle, but that looks very precarious, like it's sloping downwards as you go away from the cliff, and I'm wondering why the two campers don't slide offThey've got each other to hold on to if they slip.BTW what make them tick?

Traden4Alpha

December 6th, 2014, 1:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: ppaupermaybe it's just the camera angle, but that looks very precarious, like it's sloping downwards as you go away from the cliff, and I'm wondering why the two campers don't slide offThey've got each other to hold on to if they slip.BTW what make them tick?It's likely a genetic trait that causes low levels of monoamine oxidase in their brains.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 6th, 2014, 1:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: ppaupermaybe it's just the camera angle, but that looks very precarious, like it's sloping downwards as you go away from the cliff, and I'm wondering why the two campers don't slide offThey've got each other to hold on to if they slip.BTW what make them tick?It's likely a genetic trait that causes low levels of monoamine oxidase in their brains.Novelty seekers?

Traden4Alpha

December 6th, 2014, 1:47 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: ppaupermaybe it's just the camera angle, but that looks very precarious, like it's sloping downwards as you go away from the cliff, and I'm wondering why the two campers don't slide offThey've got each other to hold on to if they slip.BTW what make them tick?It's likely a genetic trait that causes low levels of monoamine oxidase in their brains.Novelty seekers?More like adrenaline junkies. A novelty seeker climbs one rock wall and then moves on to the next hobby. An adrenaline junky climbs every rock/cliff/mountain they see.

trackstar

December 6th, 2014, 1:50 pm

Rock climbers are interesting; it's like a branch of mountaineering, but even more physical - down to the smallest muscles in fingers and toes - and direct "confrontation" if you will, of sheer rock faces, personal limitations, and fear.I started in college because I was part of the Mountain Club. Hiking is great and I have done that my whole life, but I am afraid of heights and get dizzy, even on long staircases. So this was a way to tackle that and maybe get over it.The largest rock faces that I climbed were 300-400 feet; the person who led grew up in Colorado and was an expert climber (including free climbing).When you are half way up the rock and get the shakes, you have to pull yourself together - either go up the rest of the way or belay off, but you can't hang there with weak knees and cry. Beautiful views at the top and a sense of partially overcoming a primal fear were the high points, but I like riding horses and sailing fast boats more!**Adrenaline, yes, but it's like a religion too - on the whole a very serious, even monastic crowd, when it comes to the best climbers.Climbing requires absolute focus and a clean, clear mind - free climbing most of all. A 2,500 foot face and descent without ropes - Alex Honnold on the Half Dome in Yosemite.I saw an interview with an extreme climber and he explained how it is not really about adrenaline - too much of that is not helpful in these situations.It is about control of adrenaline and also being connected to every part of your body, as I said, muscles down to your finger tips, excellent sense of balance, and solving one topographic puzzle after another - Where is the next hand hold? Got it. Where to put my left toes? Got it. An amazing feeling. Maybe kind of like writing a 750 page book.
Last edited by trackstar on December 5th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gamal

December 7th, 2014, 9:08 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorWhat are the ultimate building blocks of everything?What is time?Why does Einstein synchronization of clocks lead to a synchronization error? (Poincare suggested same procedure, also he misunderstood several aspects of what could be done)Why is Einstein's relativity of simultaneity just an apparent effect?Why must absolute simultaneity be reintroduced?What exactly is energy, and how is it related to matter?What is the ultimate origin of memory and intelligence?What is the true cause of gravity?Unified Revolution answers these and many more questions. Where did I put my glasses? That't the most fundamental question at the moment.

trackstar

December 11th, 2014, 6:16 pm

Update on delivery time frames:On Nov 25, I order 4 books, once of which was Unified Revolution. The others have arrived and I am still waiting on this one. Not complaining, just benchmarking. Maybe I should order some more copies - I could corner the market! But today, I am making orange almond biscotti, trying out some new tea, and watching the nice little snow storm underway.What I'd really like to do (to all of you lounging around here on the forum):Direct hit!
Last edited by trackstar on December 10th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

December 21st, 2014, 1:08 pm

The Revolution has arrived on my doorstep! (Courtesy of the US post office which is freelancing for Amazon on Sundays. )Beautifully printed, wonderful illustrations, interesting photographs, and so many equations. I see some poems too. There will be supporters and critics, no doubt; some will know what they are looking at and some will not, but this is a monumental achievement.Congratulations to the author and thanks to pagan gods for a great Solstice present.

trackstar

December 21st, 2014, 1:18 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunI'm still waiting for my copy! Perhaps it's in my PO-Box instead of here at home?If you ordered from Amazon, check your ship-to address. Imagine that yours would have come out of the London supply. It is seriously heavy - maybe a kilogram or a little more, so if you bike to your PO, bring a good backpack.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 21st, 2014, 2:08 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunI'm still waiting for my copy! Perhaps it's in my PO-Box instead of here at home?If you ordered from Amazon, check your ship-to address. Imagine that yours would have come out of the London supply. It is seriously heavy - maybe a kilogram or a little more, so if you bike to your PO, bring a good backpack. ~ 2.71 kg

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 21st, 2014, 4:21 pm