SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

FaridMoussaoui

Re: "Unified Revolution" new book by Espen Haug

January 9th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Collector, just an esthetic question for the viXra paper.

After each equation, it looks like you are starting a new paragraph while it "should" be a new line with no indentation.

for example, after equation (1), it "should" be:
and when v .....
instead of
      and when v ....

But may be it is the viXra latex template formating.

Collector

January 9th, 2019, 8:27 pm

thanks Farid, I will definitely think about that for version updates...

katastrofa

January 9th, 2019, 10:02 pm

It's not latex, it's xetal :-) (Possibly there's an unnecessary empty line after the equation in the latex code.)

Collector

January 9th, 2019, 10:30 pm

"Possibly there's an unnecessary empty line after the equation"  dont u know my theory contains also the void? is there really a better way to describe the void than void-space?   ohh yes that is one way to fix it. or \noindent   thanX

Collector

January 10th, 2019, 10:15 am

Thanks TW, ohh yes I now start to understand a little, I am novice on wave functions and operators. Yes I see the regular wave function is a scalar 

so possibly I could switch to div operator as then get scalar ? 

\begin{equation}
-  \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t}=- \nabla\cdot(\Psi \textbf{c})
\end{equation}
I am not sure this gives meaning, is consistent, or even if my notation is right...I need to study more here, any good book on "vector and scalar operators for novices in 24 hours" ? 

(PS my erroneous wave equation do not alter my analysis on de Broglie versus Compton etc and the momentum etc, but yes my wave equation not properly derived)..

Also I am still wondering about the imaginary numbers in the standard wave function \(e^{i....}\) (that I borrowed from standard QM), is it somehow also linked to the Old Mystical formula?

"Thus the essence of this postulate can be expressed mathematically very concisely in the mystical formula: \(3\times 10^5 \mbox{ km} =\sqrt{-1}\) seconds" Henry Minkowski  (we are living in the mystical esoteric age of physics ;-)

tw:
It was only a trivial observation but for you is psi a scalar function? (as in a regular wavefunction).
partial psi/partial t is then a scalar,  but grad(psi) is a vector?
The advection equation uses div.
Last edited by Collector on January 10th, 2019, 12:50 pm, edited 8 times in total.

rmax

January 10th, 2019, 10:26 am

Also I am still wondering about the imaginary numbers in the standard wave function (that I borrowed from standard QM), is it somehow also linked to the Old Mystical formula?
When  I was a yoof I used Eisberg and Resnik I wished I hadn't sold it to go on holiday looking at the Hardcover price today.

FaridMoussaoui

January 10th, 2019, 2:37 pm

I need to study more here, any good book on "vector and scalar operators for novices in 24 hours" ?
For non mathematicians,
Div, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus by Schey.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 10th, 2019, 3:08 pm

I used Schaum's Vector Analysis by Murray Spiegel in term 1 in year 1 of undergrad during rites of passage.

@Collector
Here is my ONE HOUR slide show from my preamble part of my online course  that exactly addresses the questions you had (zip file). Specially for you.

Crucial is scalar field vs vector field (aka scalar-valued and vector-valued functions for pure maths folk).

“Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them.” 

https://www.datasim.nl/onlinecourses
Attachments
05 Vector Analysis.zip
(368.18 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 10th, 2019, 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 10th, 2019, 3:32 pm

How do you know you are talking to an engineer? they call [$]\mathbb{\nabla}[$] "nabla"

I think the French call Curl "rot"?? The Germans certainly do.

FaridMoussaoui

January 10th, 2019, 3:48 pm

I found also this undergrad course for engineers:  https://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~dwm/Courses/2VA_2015/

Daniel, better to convert your pptx to a "universal" format (like a pdf). I am unable to open it correctly with LibreOffice on Linux (the formulas are not rendered well):

Last edited by FaridMoussaoui on January 16th, 2019, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 10th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Thanks, Farid.
This is an issue in general. what we do is export ppt -> word -> pdf. I'll get back.
Do you have MS Office?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 10th, 2019, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FaridMoussaoui

January 10th, 2019, 4:00 pm

How do you know you are talking to an engineer? they call [$]\mathbb{\nabla}[$] "nabla"

I think the French call Curl "rot"?? The Germans certainly do.
More correct is to say in french (not the French), the Curl is "rot" for "rotationnel". The rotational is also noted as [$] \mathbb{\nabla} \wedge V[$], [$]  \mathbb{\nabla}  \times V [$], [$] \vec{\mathbb{\nabla}} \wedge \vec{V}[$] or [$] \vec{\mathbb{\nabla}} \times \vec{V}[$]. They are all correct.

FaridMoussaoui

January 10th, 2019, 4:18 pm

https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... 72f77c47c8

Yes, I have MS office but the last time I booted my PC on windows 7 was 2 months ago.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 10th, 2019, 4:22 pm

I see the course book by Michel Rieutoord on fluid dyn uses (page 7)

[$] \vec Rot \space \vec v \wedge \vec \xi[$],

At least you can separate scalars and vectors. But it can divert one's attention?
Schaum uses bold letters for vectors.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 10th, 2019, 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FaridMoussaoui

January 10th, 2019, 4:30 pm

I just rebooted my machine to windows 7. I am getting the same issue with PowerPoint with the formatting. The same as I posted for LibreOffice.
I am able to export to pdf through File -> Save As -> Select PDF -> Save

Back to Linux.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On