Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Paul

Re: All Nations Representation Project

May 14th, 2021, 10:23 pm

That's a list of jobs. 

In Užupis you have the right to be a baker. But baking is optional.

trackstar
Topic Author

May 14th, 2021, 10:28 pm

That's a list of jobs. 
You are a clever fellow, surely you could write a job description with roles and responsibilities for each one!

Or assign this task to someone else. 

I am taking another long weekend now and heading west into the sunset! 

Paul

May 14th, 2021, 11:59 pm

I think I might be being too obscure...these artists only seem to want rights without responsibilities.

What "rights" does one actually utilize in practice? 

Copenhagentolondon
Location: Somewhere between Kastrup and Luton screaming at Ryanair staff

May 15th, 2021, 12:02 am

I've heard a lot about people named Karen exercising their "right to be offended" or something. But on a more serious note, I can imagine the right to free speech, though that brings consequences afterall
Fish fingers and custard?

trackstar
Topic Author

May 15th, 2021, 1:50 am

I think I might be being too obscure...these artists only seem to want rights without responsibilities.

Well, thinking about those artists and also the current legal status in much of the US:

The right to get stoned and pontificate all day, either here, or on Linked In, Twitter, Parler, or whatever else has evolved by say the year 2036.

I have too many responsibilities to do that right now (and I'd rather paint than pontificate anyway), but some people may be shaping their utopian/dystopian worlds this way!

Maybe we should start a reading list.

Here's one from the dusty old archives:

Utopia -Thomas More (1516) (pdf on Project Gutenberg)

(JJ)

Better candidate: Walden - H.D. Thoreau (1854) (Project Gutenberg strikes again!)

Paul

May 15th, 2021, 2:34 am

Well, thinking about those artists and also the current legal status in much of the US:

The right to get stoned and pontificate all day, either here, or on Linked In, Twitter, Parler, or whatever else has evolved by say the year 2036.
Are those rights or just things people do? If the former then the list of things people are allowed to do will be very long. (Doesn't stop the French trying to list them though.)

I think most rights could be summed up by "The right to be left alone if you aren't harming anyone else." There are a few exceptions such as the right to not be discriminated against on the usual grounds. Almost everything else is just politicking.