Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

katastrofa

Re: TSME - Recommended Reading in 2015

April 23rd, 2017, 4:32 pm

I do it all the time. I don't leave the house without well-isolating earphones stack into my ears.

Nothing can beat The Sunday Times Top Ten Bestseller on differential geometry, but Hawking books are very popular if you haven't read them already - regardless of my personal opinion about his research contribution, his books and essays are well written.

trackstar
Topic Author

April 23rd, 2017, 5:25 pm

SH is indeed a good idea - thank you!

outrun

April 23rd, 2017, 7:00 pm

A new question on recommended reading:

These days I am driving a long but regular route and it is a perfect time to start listening to audio books.

I'll start with one of my favorites, as I read this one awhile ago:

Six Easy Pieces - R Feynman

Have any of you listened to books on tape or a podcast series that would be good for my road trips?

Time Space Matter Energy subjects all good, but further afield is fine as well.

Just no Harlequin romances, thanks anyway, outrun.
Hahaha. I never said that!
I once had a period where I devoured online lectures and it was not pretty! It was very interesting and technical, and *a lot*, maybe 100 hours of material. I loved it, it had a warm slowness to it I hadn't seen since Bob Ross. ..That is until I noticed the little 1.5x and 2.0x buttons! Soon I was lying on my back, drooling, listening to a hyperactive chipmunk for 3 hours straight, digesting 6 hours of lectures every night. So much hedonism! ;-). Since then I have this strange instant Pavlov brain freeze when I hear technical audio. I can't handle it no more.

ppauper

April 24th, 2017, 5:24 am

I do it all the time. I don't leave the house without well-isolating earphones stack into my ears.

Nothing can beat The Sunday Times Top Ten Bestseller on differential geometry, but Hawking books are very popular if you haven't read them already - regardless of my personal opinion about his research contribution, his books and essays are well written.
out of curiosity, whose voice is on the SH audiobooks, is it SH himself?