SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

bearish

Re: The Donald Trump

October 9th, 2016, 2:37 pm

The near universal mass hysteria that we are seeing is far more frightening than a few private words by a man who is almost certainly not going to be President.

And no, Hillary, what he said is not "horrific." You have devalued the word, save it for something truly horrific such as Syria.

P
Interestingly poised...  Trumps odds for "next President" have come from 4/1 to 5.5/1 but Pence's have moved from ~900/1 to 90/1
Two features about the US (and the UK more so, I would suggest) just keep getting repeated over and over again.
- the existence of a massive pissed off protest vote against the  "elites" , the "1%" whatever you want to call them which previously didn't have an opportunity to express itself.
- the frenzied, hysterical sensitisation to sexual politics, way beyond any other area of morality 
The will of the protest vote to morph Trump from a huckster/demagogue into some kind of rightwing messiah hits the "it could have been my granddaughters" political landmine. Rock and a hard place.
Interesting trading possibilities here...
I agree with most of that. I think a major backstory is that for the evangelicals, who have held a very strong hold on much of the GOP, sex makes up the most important political agenda items. Aside from upholding their own right to own and use guns to kill other people as needed, restricting other people's right to have sex permeates their key policy points, like banning abortion and rolling back gay rights. Of course, the Donald couldn't be further from their world view, but he has promised to nominate Supreme Court justices who would seek to fulfill their agenda. That, as everything else he has said, may just be a lie, but I would rather not risk it.

tw

October 9th, 2016, 3:09 pm

The near universal mass hysteria that we are seeing is far more frightening than a few private words by a man who is almost certainly not going to be President.

And no, Hillary, what he said is not "horrific." You have devalued the word, save it for something truly horrific such as Syria.

P
Interestingly poised...  Trumps odds for "next President" have come from 4/1 to 5.5/1 but Pence's have moved from ~900/1 to 90/1
Two features about the US (and the UK more so, I would suggest) just keep getting repeated over and over again.
- the existence of a massive pissed off protest vote against the  "elites" , the "1%" whatever you want to call them which previously didn't have an opportunity to express itself.
- the frenzied, hysterical sensitisation to sexual politics, way beyond any other area of morality 
The will of the protest vote to morph Trump from a huckster/demagogue into some kind of rightwing messiah hits the "it could have been my granddaughters" political landmine. Rock and a hard place.
Interesting trading possibilities here...
I agree with most of that. I think a major backstory is that for the evangelicals, who have held a very strong hold on much of the GOP, sex makes up the most important political agenda items. Aside from upholding their own right to own and use guns to kill other people as needed, restricting other people's right to have sex permeates their key policy points, like banning abortion and rolling back gay rights. Of course, the Donald couldn't be further from their world view, but he has promised to nominate Supreme Court justices who would seek to fulfill their agenda. That, as everything else he has said, may just be a lie, but I would rather not risk it.
It will be rather interesting to see what spin those evangelicals put on it all.

One think that seems noteworthy is the fact that it would appear the man who brags about how many tens of billions he is worth, and has sought protection under bankruptcy laws numerous times has paid very little tax. And the electorate cares not one iota. As soon as a sex scandal emerges, or more accurately a scandal about "lewd remarks" all hell breaks loose.

outrun

October 9th, 2016, 3:10 pm

After a year of naked racism, sexism, bigotry and nativism, here are the Republicans who've finally found a principle worth standing for:

Gov. Dennis Daugaard
Gov. Gary Herbert
Gov. Brian Sandoval

Sen. Kelly Ayotte
Sen. Mike Crapo
Sen. Deb Fischer,
Sen. Cory Gardner
Sen. Mark Kirk
Sen. John McCain,
Sen. Lisa Murkowski
Sen. Dan Sullivan
Sen. John Thune
Sen. Rob Portman

Rep. Bradley Byrne
Rep. Jason Chaffetz
Rep. Mike Coffman
Rep. Joe Heck,
Rep. Mia Love
Rep. Martha Roby

Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
Former Gov. Tim Pawlenty
Former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger
Former Gov Jon Huntsman, Jr
Carly Fiorina

In contrast, Rep. Paul Ryan and Sens. Mitch McConnell, Orrin Hatch and Joni Ernst waffled about how horrible he was, but stuck by him.

outrun

October 9th, 2016, 3:12 pm

A tweet by David Duke:
Six Million CNN Jews call for Trump to drop out of the race

..I bet there is something going on behind the scenes between Trump and his KKK

outrun

October 10th, 2016, 6:45 am

Now we know: if Trump becomes president he will personally make sure that his opponents will end in jail.

ppauper

October 10th, 2016, 7:02 am

Now we know: if Trump becomes president he will personally make sure that his opponents will end in jail.
no, he'll make sure that people who break the law are prosecuted and get a fair trial
It reminds me of an earlier campaign,
But let me tell you a story.  Ollie North is a friend of mine--you know old Ollie, the Marine.  He called me up and said, "Pat, I'm going to have you on my TV show.  I'm going to tell you what I'm going to ask you.  My first question's going to be, 'What's the first thing you're going to do as president?'"
So I said, Ollie, "I will be ready.  I do TV for a living, Ollie.  I can handle that."  So I went on that show with Ollie.  The first question he asked me was, "What's the first thing you're going to do as president?"  I said, "The first thing I'm going to do, Ollie, we're going to shut down the Department of Education."  [cheers].  Ollie said, "No." -- Ollie said, "No, no, that's not it."  I said, "All right, I'm going to shut down that National Endowment for the Arts, I'm going to fumigate the building and put the IRS in there."  [cheers].  And Ollie said, "No, the first thing you do when you're up there on the inaugural stand?"
I said, "Well, I got to deliver my inaugural speech, but, Ollie, when I raise my hand to take that oath of office, I'm the chief law enforcement officer of the United States, aren't I?"  He said, "That's right."
I said, "Well, if I'm the chief law enforcement officer of the United States, I guess the first thing I'd have to do is turn to Bill Clinton and say, 'Sir, you have a right to remain silent [cheers]; you have a right to have an attorney present.'"  [cheers continue].
no one is above the law, not even Queen Hillary
in America, the law is king. For as in absolute governments the King is law, so in free countries the law ought to be king; and there ought to be no other

outrun

October 10th, 2016, 7:20 am

The justice department already does that. Trump said he was "personally going to make sure"

ppauper

October 10th, 2016, 7:41 am

The justice department already does that. Trump said he was "personally going to make sure"
The President of the United State is the chief law enforcement officer of the United States
Under the Obama administration, politically connected people like the Clintons have been allowed to break the law with impunity.

outrun

October 10th, 2016, 9:40 am

Lol

When asked about the pussy remarks, Trump lost his train of thoughts and said "you know, I tell you one thing, these ISIS guys, and I'm not kidding you, they have iron cages, it's a terrible thing"

ppauper

October 10th, 2016, 9:47 am

a quote from that point in the debate
TRUMP: And we should get on to much more important things and much bigger things.

EBal

October 10th, 2016, 1:46 pm

a quote from that point in the debate
TRUMP: And we should get on to much more important things and much bigger things.
Nice, reminded me of this piece I saw recently:

Traden4Alpha

October 10th, 2016, 1:59 pm

You know the Republican candidate SUCKs when his fall in the polls causes a rise in the stock market.

Trump's a business man who is bad for business.

ppauper

October 10th, 2016, 2:57 pm

You know the Republican candidate SUCKs when his fall in the polls causes a rise in the stock market.

It used to be said that what was good for General Motors was good for America (to paraphrase Charles Wilson). That's no longer true.
It would be good for GM to close all of its US plants and move them to Mexico where workers earn far less and finished autos can be shipped to the US under NAFTA.
Is that good for America? It's good for the stockholders but sucks for blue collar workers.

Trump is going to keep those manufacturing jobs in the US. Bad for corporations, good for workers

Traden4Alpha

October 10th, 2016, 3:57 pm

It used to be said that what was good for General Motors was good for America (to paraphrase Charles Wilson). That's no longer true.
It would be good for GM to close all of its US plants and move them to Mexico where workers earn far less and finished autos can be shipped to the US under NAFTA.
Is that good for America? It's good for the stockholders but sucks for blue collar workers.

Trump is going to keep those manufacturing jobs in the US. Bad for corporations, good for workers
Of course, it's good for America. Millions of consumers get less expensive cars that have more features versus a few thousand overpaid workers lose their jobs. And in the long-term, helping Mexico improve their standard of living reduces illegal immigration, drug trafficking, and political instability on America's borders.

ppauper

October 10th, 2016, 4:21 pm

Of course, it's good for America.  Millions of consumers get less expensive cars that have more features versus a few thousand overpaid workers lose their jobs.  And in the long-term, helping Mexico improve their standard of living reduces illegal immigration, drug trafficking, and political instability on America's borders.
you can make a case that if you move 1 factory then it's good for America. If you move all the factories, it's bad for America, and it's no longer "a few thousand overpaid workers," it's millions or tens of millions of workers

And I used to think the same as you about "helping Mexico." I thought the point of NAFTA was to cut illegal immigration following the Reagan-era amnesty. But it hasn't. NAFTA came into force in 1994. 22 years ago. Illegal immigration and drug trafficking are both an order of magnitude worse now than before NAFTA came into effect.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On