Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

ppauper

Monsanto weed killer can 'probably' cause cancer: World Health Organization

April 2nd, 2015, 3:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaThe Environmental Protection Agency confirmed it will require a weed resistance management plan for glyphosate, the key ingredient in Monsanto?s immensely popular Roundup weed-killer.EPA say they will move against glyphosate ... no hurry to shorting MON, thenThe logic behind worrying about herbicide resistance has always confused me.Glyphosate resistance is only a problem if one thinks using glyphosate is a good idea.And if one thinks glyphosate is bad, then the sooner all weeds are glyphosate-resistance, the better.the article seems to have been removed, I get "Error 404 - Page Not Found">> The Environmental Protection Agency confirmed it will require a weed resistance management plan for glyphosatenot sure what this means (especially since I couldn't access the article)In lots of states/provinces, there are already rules that homeowners are not allowed to apply pesticides themselves (and cannot buy them) but can pay "professionals" to apply them, which basically means if you want to get rid of weeds in your backyard it's going to cost you a boatload of moneontario's rules

tags

April 2nd, 2015, 4:24 pm

Quotethe article seems to have been removed, I get "Error 404 - Page Not Found"It is worrying .... hopefully wilmott admin has some backups on servers
Last edited by tags on April 1st, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector
Topic Author

April 2nd, 2015, 8:31 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaThe Environmental Protection Agency confirmed it will require a weed resistance management plan for glyphosate, the key ingredient in Monsanto?s immensely popular Roundup weed-killer.EPA say they will move against glyphosate ... no hurry to shorting MON, thenThe logic behind worrying about herbicide resistance has always confused me.Glyphosate resistance is only a problem if one thinks using glyphosate is a good idea.And if one thinks glyphosate is bad, then the sooner all weeds are glyphosate-resistance, the better.The Patent on Roundup (N-(phosphonomethyl)glycine) has expired (2010). Even some of these big chemical corporations likely happy if "world" need to switch to some new new Patented weed killer, where also way to little independent research have got time to figure out the health risk, so can be marketed as safe next 20 years or so) :-)

Traden4Alpha

April 3rd, 2015, 10:36 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaThe Environmental Protection Agency confirmed it will require a weed resistance management plan for glyphosate, the key ingredient in Monsanto?s immensely popular Roundup weed-killer.EPA say they will move against glyphosate ... no hurry to shorting MON, thenThe logic behind worrying about herbicide resistance has always confused me.Glyphosate resistance is only a problem if one thinks using glyphosate is a good idea.And if one thinks glyphosate is bad, then the sooner all weeds are glyphosate-resistance, the better.The Patent on Roundup (N-(phosphonomethyl)glycine) has expired (2010). Even some of these big chemical corporations likely happy if "world" need to switch to some new new Patented weed killer, where also way to little independent research have got time to figure out the health risk, so can be marketed as safe next 20 years or so) :-)That raises another issue of whether any observed glyphosate-related cancers are due to glyphosate or due to impurities in generic versions of glyphosate made by low-quality manufacturers. In the case of 2,4 D, for example, the actual herbicide is fairly non-toxic but the basic chemistry for producing it also makes really nasty byproducts such as dioxin. Unless the herbicide is properly purified, the result is toxic cocktail.

platinum

April 9th, 2015, 5:52 pm

On Reuters yesterday:Chinese citizens sue government over transparency on Monsanto
Last edited by platinum on April 8th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tags

April 27th, 2015, 7:39 pm

2015 AAW 'Farm Mom' Monsanto contestAt least, that contest doesn't cause cancer (I believe).
Last edited by tags on April 26th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

April 27th, 2015, 8:36 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunPepsi To Stop Using Aspartame..turn it into a marketing campaign: "aspartame free!"aspartame=nutrasweethttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversythere are concerns it may cause tumors in rats.The FDA said the studies were flawed but rather than conduct a "proper" study, they did nothingAs to what nutrasweet is being replaced with, it's the much more wholesome sucralose mixed with acesulfame potassium.

Paul

April 28th, 2015, 5:15 am

Nettles just about under control. Dandelions coming through now. Billions of the buggers. And looks like it's going to be a good (i.e. bad) year for cow parsley. Bindweed and thistles still mustering their troops. We had jimson weed last year, they make a disgusting smell.So I made nettle beer. Not the nicest thing I've ever tasted.P
Last edited by Paul on April 27th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

April 28th, 2015, 8:23 am

QuoteSo I made nettle beer. Not the nicest thing I've ever tasted.It's really good for soup and I used to add fresh leaves to salads (instead of spinach). It also makes a good ant repellant from what I've noticed: just put a few stalks on the floor and give ants a day.Regarding organic/randap-free food (old news): http://finance.yahoo.com/news/3g-digest ... 4.html?l=1
Last edited by katastrofa on April 27th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

April 28th, 2015, 8:55 am

My grandmother used to make nettle soup

Traden4Alpha

April 28th, 2015, 1:39 pm

Leave it to humans to turn weeds into the good times.First, the nettle beer. Next up, dandelions wine. And if you want something stronger, then try the jimson weed which is a hallucinogen that is very toxic in doses slighter higher than the psycho-active ones.

tags

May 1st, 2015, 6:55 am

Monsanto Is Said to Approach Syngenta Again About a Takeover

tags

May 7th, 2015, 2:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagoma2015 AAW 'Farm Mom' Monsanto contestAt least, that contest doesn't cause cancer (I believe).Oregon woman named Monsanto's 2015 'Farm Mom of the Year'