Topic Author

Re: All about Cats

August 26th, 2018, 10:10 am

katastrofa
Topic Author

August 26th, 2018, 11:26 am

Animal Rights March 2018

My husband covered his face, because he's ashamed of me.
Last edited by katastrofa on August 28th, 2018, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa
Topic Author

August 26th, 2018, 9:44 pm

I'm pet-sitting my neighbour's cat over the long weekend. She's so subtle and well-mannered: she quietly squeaks at my sight & comes to cuddle, than goes and eats a bit, does a bit of this and that in the litter box and comes back "squeaking" for a bit more playing and cuddling. My cats: meow so loud that they issue an earthquake alarm at the antipode in New Zealand. Devour half a chicken topped with junk-food & favourite snacks (without toppings it rots a few days while the cats generate more seismic activity and Higgs bosons in CERN), they stand something of a size of a mini Camelot castle (with a water moat) in the litter box, then demand playing - i.e. running around like wild horses knocking down everything in their way and tearing apart toys they manage to catch, when I get tired and sit down on the sofa a cat materialises on my lap in milliseconds and I have to stroke them for at least 15 minutes. My cats are monsters :-(

trackstar

August 26th, 2018, 10:36 pm

That made me laugh - but compared to dogs, your cats are angels.

Of my sisters's 3 dogs, the male (fixed, but still) is the biggest most rambunctious baby.  He is very athletic and runs fast all over the yard and the paddocks, jumping over brush and logs in the woods, and chasing the youngest dog, who chases him back - they get very wild and have lots of fun.

But then, back inside the house he wants to jump up on the couch, *sit in your lap*, and lick your entire face with great enthusiasm.

He weighs about 50 pounds - about 23 kilos and stands about 2 feet tall at the shoulder, so he is not the right size for a lapdog. And I really like some distance with my face, where animals or humans are concerned.  :D.  

Smokey does not try to do that, she just sits beside me and purrs.

Here he is, front and center.  Ignore him at your own peril.

Further back you can see her oldest dog running toward the action.

[attachment=0]aussie posse.jpeg[/attachment]

ppauper

August 30th, 2018, 6:52 am

katastrofa
Topic Author

August 30th, 2018, 10:13 am

That made me laugh - but compared to dogs, your cats are angels.

Of my sisters's 3 dogs, the male (fixed, but still) is the biggest most rambunctious baby.  He is very athletic and runs fast all over the yard and the paddocks, jumping over brush and logs in the woods, and chasing the youngest dog, who chases him back - they get very wild and have lots of fun.

But then, back inside the house he wants to jump up on the couch, *sit in your lap*, and lick your entire face with great enthusiasm.

He weighs about 50 pounds - about 23 kilos and stands about 2 feet tall at the shoulder, so he is not the right size for a lapdog. And I really like some distance with my face, where animals or humans are concerned.  :D.  

Smokey does not try to do that, she just sits beside me and purrs.

Here he is, front and center.  Ignore him at your own peril.

Further back you can see her oldest dog running toward the action.

aussie posse.jpeg
Looks like 50 pounds of a very loving (to the point of obnoxiousness) dog :-) I had a whippet. She could jump so high that she could lick my face in the air. That was after she made several circles of a high-speed greyhound race around the house.
In the meantime I've become THE cat queen. During the last day of pet sitting her, the neighbours' cat licked my legs, feet, and even the floor where I stepped. She also tore apart one toy during playing and showed several other symptoms of madness displayed by my own cats. I must have brought the virus on my shoes... My cats got depressed. They stared in the window quietly every time I left for pet sitting. When I came back they clung to me hysterically (at night I had to give up finishing some work, because they literally pinned me to bed with their claws). They are oriental shorthair (Siamese derivatives) known for being very social. They don't just sit next to me purring, they clutch to my body like baby monkeys, rub their heads against my face and make sounds which resemble more pidgeon's cooing. I've juts had a paw stack in my eye, because I stopped kissing one of them...

trackstar

August 30th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Ah, so you see - *you* create monsters.

Even out of normally calm and quiet cats. :D

I made two short videos of Smokey this morning hoping she would “talk” to the camera.

Have to keep trying...

katastrofa
Topic Author

September 7th, 2018, 2:18 am

Neighbours lazy apathetic cat:
A593E3AC-E2C6-4BBF-8618-CB9A2B872C15.jpeg
And the opus magnum of my bakerstück:
FE27B2A9-4379-4B21-91B6-3DD496DC3644.jpeg
Or the other way around...

katastrofa
Topic Author

September 13th, 2018, 1:37 am

I spent the evening walking in the wood around the lake with a bat detector :-) I think I've heard the calls of six different species, including serotine, long-eared bat, noctule, and two pipistrelle. And I've seen three rescued bats. They didn't make echolocation calls, possibly because they were unable to fly, but still had a lot to say. Some of them weren't bigger than my thumb.

They have fascinating - and "extreme" I'd say - adaptations compared to other mammals: echolocation, flight or breading process.

Brown long-eared bat:

trackstar

September 13th, 2018, 1:57 am

Very nice.  At the small lake here, if you go out in a row boat this time of day (10 pm here) the bats skim the water and swoop around - fun to watch as long as they don't come too close overhead. These are generally Little Brown Bats.  I don't know how much bat-diversity we have in this area.

Is this up in the Lakes District?  I have traveled through there and stayed at Lake Windermere and also Wast Water. Wonderful trip.

katastrofa
Topic Author

September 13th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Actually it was still London - Walthamstow Wetland Centre. But you don't need to go that far to see bats in London. We have many canals and basins across the whole city and bats come there to stuff on insects.

trackstar

September 13th, 2018, 2:25 pm

In this interlude from All about Cats to All about Bats, here is a bit of theme music.

You probably know this, from Johann Strauss II: Die Fledermaus coming to you right from Vienna.  

Cuchulainn

September 13th, 2018, 3:03 pm

• Constantinople suited me better
Last edited by Cuchulainn on September 13th, 2018, 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

trackstar

September 13th, 2018, 3:13 pm

• Constantinople suited me better
Well, I don't know about you, but I like its Strauss music, its glamour, and easy charm. :D

And distinguished conductors d'une certaine age showing great style and joie de vivre.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On