SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa
Topic Author

Re: All about Cats

January 6th, 2019, 6:37 pm

WARNING! Content which some may find distressing.
Day 6th of my rawism (rawtarianism?).
Dinner:
orange carrots, purple carrots, but are the white/yellow ones parsnips or more carrots?
either way, It looks yummy
All carrots. Very tasty. Would probably taste even better cooked. Sniff :-(

Alan

January 6th, 2019, 9:14 pm

According to this, might be a temporary RIP. Kind of sounds like an Eastern Puma is not really a distinct species, but simply a mountain lion found east of the Mississippi

A lot of the mountain lions where I live (Socal) get numbered and tracked, like these kittens. The main danger to them is the freeways. 

bearish

January 6th, 2019, 9:37 pm

When you haven't seen a large animal in a fairly densely populated area for 80 years, it does seem to make sense to give up. And, to add to the mountain lion/puma/cougar confusion, our friend Randall Munroe reminds us that they are also locally known as panthers and catamounts: Cougars.

katastrofa
Topic Author

January 10th, 2019, 8:54 am

katastrofa
Topic Author

January 12th, 2019, 8:53 am

Cat smuggled to a party :-D

(No, it's not AI i generated.)
Last edited by katastrofa on January 14th, 2019, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector

January 12th, 2019, 2:41 pm

That is a very hairy cat! cut half its wool and make yourself a couple of nice winter gloves, or socks, or donate them to people in ice cold countries!

katastrofa
Topic Author

January 12th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Oriental longhair! :-D Adorable cats with incredible personalities, but can be too annoying sometimes. Hmm, I've been considering having my hair cut really short (it used to be very long a couple of years ago - I was accidentally sitting on them and it took hours to wash and maintain ).

katastrofa
Topic Author

January 12th, 2019, 5:50 pm

That is a very hairy cat! cut half its wool and make yourself a couple of nice winter gloves, or socks, or donate them to people in ice cold countries!
Do you have good heating in your cave? Do you need warm clothes?

Collector

January 12th, 2019, 6:34 pm

i need Schrodinger cat wool socks that switches automatically between warm and cold when i need it...and also clean themselves.. walking in a river possibly a solution ? and for the first time I did extensive ice bathing this year in the oslo fjord. Experienced ice bathers where "shouting" at me that I had to get up from the fjord after like 30 minutes out, I told them they had to learn to pass the pain barrier...the first 5 minutes are brutal (and I noticed they did not pass it), burning fire in the skin..then suddenly it get very comfortable. Extreme breathing in the cold shock period, i also got nick name the whale... but I stopped now,  after googling more about ice bathing, and understood it can be quite risky to be out long. One missing ice bather they found in the sea some years ago where I am going out now. Could possibly explain that the experienced ice bathers actually tried to give me a good advice, but I told them how to pass the pain barrier and they did not want to listen ;-- )

nothing is like a swim in the ocean when snowing, alone (few swimmers in winter) and really feel one with the ocean...but yes one should not be too long out. Blood pressure and heart rate is not increasing significantly, it is blood to brain that is reduced quite significantly., also motion range of arms and legs reduced after some time out in cold water, but this I did not find a big issue as one can take just shorter moves....remember my head was quite foggy after 30 minutes out, and one get lots of endorphins, it is a kick..and the brain feels faster even if foggier.   there are plenty of ice swimmer clubs, some swim all winter every year, likely safer than swimming alone...someone can tell where one went missing

qualified Ice swimming is <10 C in water I think, only once I did ice swimming when it was so cold I had to jump trough the ice (thin ice, but yes frozen lake), many years ago...(1 minute or so), on purpose.

no cats have joined any of the ice swimmer clubs to my knowledge..    

katastrofa
Topic Author

January 13th, 2019, 5:38 am

That was risky and stupid... I did similar things when diving - testing the Martini law (the only way I like those sweet Italian alcohols). I think the cold and high pressures induce similar reactions of the organism. The moment you start to feel nice and comfortable is actually a warning that you've gone too far, I've been taught. You lose judgement and can drop unconscious any moment owing to the oxygen deficiency in the brain. But since I've been told that that was the edge of life and death for a diver, I naturally tested it! :-)
(I got an electric blanket for my cats - in fact I got it for myself, but they stole it. When it turns off after a few hours, they come to me and cry to turn it back on...)

ppauper

January 14th, 2019, 7:03 am

Last edited by ppauper on January 14th, 2019, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa
Topic Author

January 14th, 2019, 7:11 am

“While this story is funny,” she said, “it really does highlight the tremendous inequity in the Silicon Valley. We have thousands of people on our streets, and we’re paying to make sure that our cats have a place to live.”
Yet another idiot telling people what they should do with their money, pretending that it's the source of the inequality problem.

katastrofa
Topic Author

January 15th, 2019, 7:02 am

:-)
Attachments
7F861555-6536-4D57-A9B8-118E409B5495.jpeg

Paul

January 15th, 2019, 7:16 am

Inequality “opportunity”.

ISayMoo

January 15th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Sillicon Valley has a huge feral cat problem, and too few shelters / sanctuaries for cats. It is indeed astonishing inequality for two upper class cats to enjoy a $1500-a-month studio while so many working class felines have to fend for themselves on the streets.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On