SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper
Topic Author

Re: should people be allowed to self-identify?

March 23rd, 2018, 11:49 am

Twitter outrage as Harry Potter author JK Rowling likes tweet calling transgender women 'men in dresses

I'm guessing she agreed with a different part of the tweet, but liking it was taken as an endorsement of the entire tweet

ppauper
Topic Author

March 29th, 2018, 6:13 am

I saw a story about a government worker in argentina, who has decided to identify as a woman because women get to retire at 60 while men must wait until 65.

ppauper
Topic Author

April 9th, 2018, 9:15 am

from the UK
Boys to be allowed to wear skirts at leading boarding school
not sure that this anything new
I remember an episode of buffy where the englishman wesley recounted how they "made the lower-class men get up as girls"

ppauper
Topic Author

April 9th, 2018, 11:49 am

trans runners at Boston Marathon
“We take people at their word. We register people as they specify themselves to be,” said Tom Grilk, chief of the Boston Athletic Association, the group behind the race.

ppauper
Topic Author

May 6th, 2018, 5:38 pm

from NZ
Transgender downhill mountain biker faces scrutiny after gender switch outed prematurely
At just 17 she made a life-changing decision, to live as a woman. The middle-of-the-pack competitive mountain biker took testosterone blockers and estrogen as she transitioned from male to female.
(snip)
Under Cycling New Zealand's supervision Kate planned to announce her gender switch to being a female competitor when she was ready. But last year someone from within the mountain biking community outed her as a woman prematurely, without Kate's consent.
"Being outed kinda meant that I didn't have that time where people were able to get used to the idea of me not being a dude."
Earlier this year when Kate won the national women's downhill title a firestorm erupted in the mountain biking community. Social media went ballistic.
"One of my favourites is the idea that I'm doing this to win races, which is ridiculous."
"middle-of-the-pack competitive mountain biker" is pretty vague, middle of which pack? local races? national championships?

anyhoo, going from "middle-of-the-pack" as a man to national champion as a woman doesn't sound fair on the other women cyclists

ppauper
Topic Author

May 23rd, 2018, 10:01 am

ppauper
Topic Author

May 23rd, 2018, 8:45 pm

from the UK
Labour Allows Bearded Man to Stand For Woman-Only Role Because He ‘Identifies’ as Female Once a Week
“I self-identify as a woman on Wednesdays, between 6.50 am when my alarm goes off and around midnight when I go to bed,” Mr. Lewis told the Spectator, explaining that he does not change his pronouns, clothes, appearance, or behaviour.

ISayMoo

May 23rd, 2018, 10:07 pm

from the UK
Labour Allows Bearded Man to Stand For Woman-Only Role Because He ‘Identifies’ as Female Once a Week
“I self-identify as a woman on Wednesdays, between 6.50 am when my alarm goes off and around midnight when I go to bed,” Mr. Lewis told the Spectator, explaining that he does not change his pronouns, clothes, appearance, or behaviour.
He/she was suspended

ppauper
Topic Author

May 24th, 2018, 5:40 pm

from the UK
He/she was suspended
would he (and he says he uses male pronouns even when he is identifying as a woman) be considered gender fluid?

ISayMoo

May 24th, 2018, 9:10 pm

He was very fluid all the time, he was taking the piss.

ppauper
Topic Author

May 25th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Nkechi Diallo charged with welfare fraud
black people on welfare is such a cliche.
Nkechi Diallo is trans-black, and it's alleged that she failed to disclose revenue from her autobiography to (Washington state) welfare authorities

ppauper
Topic Author

May 29th, 2018, 9:48 am

ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On