SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper
Topic Author

Re: should people be allowed to self-identify?

June 9th, 2018, 6:41 am

this is a high school girls' track meet in CT

bearish

June 9th, 2018, 10:07 am

ppauper wrote:

Ummm - there are colored people there, which is probably bad. Beyond that, at least on my phone, I don’t have the resolution to make out anything else, like genitals, which I assume is info-f*cking-wars’ real issue.

ppauper
Topic Author

June 9th, 2018, 10:25 am

bearish wrote:
ppauper wrote:

Ummm - there are colored people there, which is probably bad. Beyond that, at least on my phone, I don’t have the resolution to make out anything else, like genitals, which I assume is info-f*cking-wars’ real issue.

I don't share your view that "colored people"  are "bad." (is it ok to say "colored" nowadays?)
The first two finishers are trans and have a noticeably different build to the other competitors in the race

bearish

June 9th, 2018, 10:39 pm

Even on my large Mac screen, not a chance. I obviously don't deny what is depicted, nor that it is a thorny issue, but the illustration doesn't quite do it for me.

ppauper
Topic Author

June 13th, 2018, 4:33 pm

ppauper
Topic Author

July 1st, 2018, 6:40 am

transgender troubles in NZ
transgender woman denied membership at female gym
Mansell was after a WINZ quote at Revive Fitness and the gym happened to be close to where she was living, but when she inquired about joining she was asked about her gender.

WINZ seems to be Work & Income NZ, so she's unemployed or on welfare
"She remained silent for a moment and then said, 'I'm sorry dear but I'm going to have to ask you this question, are you transgendered?'" Mansell said.
"She stated that it was the gym's policy not to let any person into the gym until they've had surgery."
"I informed her it's not possible in New Zealand [as] there's a 30 to 40 year waiting list for surgery, so I'd be 89."
Mansell showed the staff her birth certificate, which states she is female, but that wasn't enough.

WTH?? 30 to 40 year waiting list for surgery? that's government healthcare for you

Clashes between those on opposing sides of the argument have occurred in Britain.
The issue in Britain centres around the Gender Recognition Bill, which would allow anyone to self-declare their identity.
In New Zealand when it comes to gender self-declaration, an amendment to the Births, Deaths and Marriages Act enshrining is almost at its second reading.
"The UK wants to move to where we are moving to which is about people being able to self-identify," Labour MP Louisa Wall said.

I learned a new term:
Rainbow Wellington board member Jem Traylen said some people who take exception to transpeople identifying as women are known as a TERF – or trans-exclusionary radical feminist.
Renee Gerlich, who gets called a TERF herself, said there's heat around the Births Deaths and Marriages Amendment going through select committee.
This legislation undermines a lot of the work that suffragettes did, they fought for the women's vote, they wanted to give women a way of making political demands that pertain to our sex when, we can't do that once the definition of what a woman is has fundamentally changed," she said.

ppauper
Topic Author

July 4th, 2018, 5:34 am

Is God Male or Gender-Neutral? Episcopal Church Begins Debate on Book of Common Prayer
The debate centers on making sure that prayers in the book are clear that God is not male, but doesn't have a gender

ppauper
Topic Author

July 19th, 2018, 8:03 pm

ppauper
Topic Author

July 21st, 2018, 8:30 am

Professor’s award revoked after slideshow featuring photos of researchers in swimsuits
The recipient of a prestigious award in herpetology had the award rescinded last week on the grounds that photographs of female researchers in his acceptance talk were “inappropriate,” with a spokeswoman of the organization that rescinded the award admitting that there were “no formal complaints” related to the presentation.
Richard Vogt, who took part in the discovery that the sex of turtles is determined by the temperature they experience in the egg, gave his acceptance speech for the Distinguished Herpetologist Award at the Joint Meeting of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists last week. Herpetology is the scientific study of reptiles and amphibians.
As part of his talk, Vogt featured pictures of his researchers handling turtles. In some of the photographs, the researchers, many of whom were women, are wearing bathing suits as they worked in boats and on beaches.

Everyone seems to be missing the big story: "the discovery that the sex of turtles is determined by the temperature they experience in the egg"
It is offensive to suggest that sex is "determined" by such things.
Sea turtles have the same rights as the rest of us to decide for themselves their own sex

ppauper
Topic Author

July 28th, 2018, 6:55 am

up in soviet canuckistan, a man in alberta has changed his gender to get cheaper auto insurance

Canadian Man Changes Gender On Driver’s License For Cheaper Insurance

ppauper
Topic Author

August 2nd, 2018, 8:45 am

Freemasons to allow women to be members but only if they first joined as men
seemingly the only people who can't join are women who have always been women

Collector

August 2nd, 2018, 10:46 am

"We are looking for outstanding female candidates who will invigorate and enrich the pool of expertise of the Department of Physics" 

https://ssl1.peoplexs.com/Peoplexs22/CandidatesPortalNoLogin/Vacancy.cfm?PortalID=4063&VacatureID=984093&Vacancy=Tenure-track%20Westerdijk%20Fellow:%20Assistant%20Professor%20of%20Physics%20(0.8%20-%201.0%20FTE)#top

so who can apply? women who have always been women? or also men that short term are women? well long term position so likely not possible.

ppauper
Topic Author

August 12th, 2018, 8:00 pm

bearish

August 12th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Unlike previously raised questions of fairness in sports and perhaps locker room privacy, this ought to be completely non-controversial from a gender perspective. Her policy platform, which ought to be the relevant part, seems superficially reasonable, but I'm not going to pretend to have insights into Vermont politics.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...