roundandround
Topic Author

Traders' hormones may destabilize financial markets

July 4th, 2015, 3:12 am

tags

July 4th, 2015, 9:53 am

Quote(...) playing an asset trading game (...)
Last edited by tags on July 3rd, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearish

July 4th, 2015, 6:36 pm

Related phenomena are discussed in this excellent book by my former colleague (however briefly) John Coates: The hour between dog and wolf.

katastrofa

Re: Traders' hormones may destabilize financial markets

February 17th, 2019, 3:50 am

Apropos this very interesting thread, I've been wondering why some of the people coming for yoga to my MA gym are so agitated or even hostile after their classes. After all, yoga is supposed to calm one down and sooth bad emotions. I googled and found some yoga enthusiasts writing about this problem: https://www.quora.com/Why-do-I-so-often ... after-yoga or https://loveyogaanatomy.com/when-yoga-makes-you-angry/

I'm trying to find a mundane formulation of the yogish astral body theory of that phenomenon. My first guess was oxitocin. Several years ago the popular belief about hormones of love and fear (oxitocin, vasopressin and testosterone) was invalidated as, briefly, new research showed that their actions and interactions are more complex - they rather enhance our natural tendencies to certain types of social (or anti-social) behaviours. Have you observed any such varying effect of yoga on your mood? Does yoga make you feel differently depending on your emotional condition (bad or good day / week)? Do other sports or activities have similar effects on you?

Cuchulainn

February 17th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Does yoga make you feel differently depending on your emotional condition (bad or good day / week)? 
NO.

Do other sports or activities have similar effects on you?
YES.
I used to play violent games like (indoor!) soccer, GAA football, hurling and tennis. 

Having said that, I got annoyed at judo last Friday with a ju-jutsu guy (50 years my junior) who was messing and bad technique. I dumped him but he injured his elbow on the way down. Stupid kid.

You can recognise  ju-jutsu guys (they crouch like Great Apes).. The technique against them is sumi gaeshi. But then they try to strangle you on the way to the ground... The annoyance is short-lived and then  you shake hands,
[/font]

katastrofa

February 17th, 2019, 5:50 pm

The guy who damaged my leg did some judo throw - a big hip, I think. It's completely against the rules, so I wasn't prepared/didn't know how to fall (though if it wasn't so strong, nothing would probably happen to me). This is the problem with training in London: the risk of crossing some random idiot on the mat. And he wasn't even punished for that.

Before I came to London, where joggers push pedestrians under buses, I thought that the runner's high (from running or sports) is the endorphin rush, which makes one feel relaxed or ecstatic. The fastest and most effective way of relaxing - lying under the tree looking at leaves (unless you fall asleep). The trees have it within, under the thick skin.

Cuchulainn

February 17th, 2019, 6:13 pm

The guy who damaged my leg did some judo shit - a big hip, I think. It's completely against the rules, so I wasn't prepared/didn't know how to fall (though if it wasn't so strong, nothing would probably happen to me). This is the problem with training in London: the risk of crossing some random idiot on the mat. And he wasn't even punished for that.
Were you doing judo? Where? As I mentioned., try Budokwai. Roger Law wrote a book about the club and relevant anecdotes.

This is a good way to train. All about technique. I've lost count how many times I've thrown by WR.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/214 ... yjama_Game

I've being judo since 1972 but these days beginners and experts are on the same mat. 

1. Teachers are afraid to warn students because of lost revenue and because confrontation in Dutch culture is taboo.
2. Spirit of judo has gone to the dogs, no give and take, even with sparring.
3. You learned from each other in the past. No beginners, that a separate group.

In our classes I use 60% of my strength on belts lower than black. Above that 80% because you don't get injured.

katastrofa

February 17th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Judo is not for me - too much hugging :-) Karate Kyokushin.

Cuchulainn

February 17th, 2019, 8:15 pm

Judo is not for me - too much hugging :-) Karate Kyokushin.
Looks like glorified kick boxing .. no wonder your legs are in bits.

katastrofa

February 17th, 2019, 9:34 pm

My legs are OK as long as they don't walk into judo amateurs! :-D

Cuchulainn

February 17th, 2019, 10:35 pm

My legs are OK as long as they don't walk into judo amateurs! :-D
Judokas are the toughett.

katastrofa

February 17th, 2019, 11:38 pm

You're not. You got annoyed at that guy in your dojo.

Cuchulainn

February 18th, 2019, 3:46 am

You're not. You got annoyed at that guy in your dojo.