Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

ppauper

Random bullshit office problem

October 8th, 2015, 2:36 pm

agree with those who say it could come back and bite you if you make an enemy of this guy

tagoma

October 18th, 2015, 6:47 pm

How has your rnd bs offe pb developed, then?

Cuchulainn

October 18th, 2015, 7:27 pm

QuoteAgree with rmax - write a short story, throw tennis balls at a wall, take up a violent sport like rugby to express your aggression, but don't make a mess of things there. Even with your peers, you should more or less try to take the high road. They will remember your calm and dignity later.I agree, except for the rugby part. I would do tai chai and breathing exercises. Use his own stupidity against him.And then call it a draw. Machiavelli is outdated. Look at all the wars of the last 50 years. All the same endgame.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on October 17th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

trackstar

October 18th, 2015, 10:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnMachiavelli is outdated. Look at all the wars of the last 50 years. All the same endgame.Warfare is not the only application for NM. Consider the office and also romantic endeavors."Benefits should be conferred gradually; and in that way they will taste better."And hopefully they will last longer too!
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

trackstar

October 18th, 2015, 11:38 pm

And I'll leave you with this:Pursue one great decisive aim with force and determination.- Carl von ClausewitzAlso known for the advisory:"To secure peace is to prepare for war."
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

Anthis

October 19th, 2015, 6:50 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintSo,time for a rant. I've been with this firm for a couple of years and while there was enough bullshit going on things did, all considered, work pretty smoothly. Work is interesting, colleagues are alright, clients are madly in love with me because I tend to provide answers, not bullshit and the pay is less than what it should be, but quite a bit more than most of my peers make, so again no big reason to complain.Then they decided to hire my new boss, who is ruining everything.1. I can literally not fathom why they hired him, because I have yet to find out what exactly his "skill" is. Allegedly he is proficient in almost anything, especially "project management", yet every project he managed was simply saved because of my colleagues and me put extra work in, to work around him. Now that I think about it, in a half year's time he did not ever answer a single work-related question nor can I pinpoint to a single example of when he would have himself done any kind of work, other than "managing" others, which usually involves him giving an extremely vague order that may or may not change in the course of a phone call, day, week or year. 2. On several occasions he was personally responsible for for some bullshit that he then retroactively blamed on me or my colleagues. I.e. promise a client something completely unrealistic, then somehow convince both client and upper echelons within the firm that this was in fact a shortcoming of my colleagues and me, not him. Now, clients seemed to have caught on to this to the point that he's effectively persona non grata, yet he's still being supported all the way within the firm. They love this guy.3. I get really frustrated by this. It's maddening to see how somebody without any kind of discernible skill would be made principal in the first place. The only thing that makes this even worse is that this shit has been going on for half a year now and everybody notices it, but my firm. I know quite a few people in my team have started to actively look for new roles, simply because they're qualified and don't want to put up with this shit no more. I am leaning towards the same thing, yet I would like to somehow salvage this. Also I'm not motivated enough to go full nuclear or put a lot of time and effort into sucking some higher up's dick. In fact I am quite content to simply work with intelligent people for intelligent people. If you bring a low-functioning idiot in this equation, shit gets ruined.<Please imagine generic disclaimer on how this is not me being pissed at not being promoted and/or maybe a whole lot more stupid than I think, and insubordinate etc etc. here. New guy didn't take the place I had aimed for but is kind of 2-3 years ahead in hierarchy.>Ok, any ideas? Is this shit worth it, or am I seeing signals for a bigger troubles here and should just be like: yo, you did this for 3 years. Time to pack it in.Cheers,CMThis is classic sex-violence-bloodshed, phenomena in modern corporate world. Live with it.On the other hand, I can recommend some company who can help you disappear the right people for the right price. :D

Cuchulainn

October 19th, 2015, 8:47 am

QuoteWarfare is not the only application for NM. Consider the office and also romantic endeavors.Good point. A tip for latter-day pundits...QuoteConfront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.Sun Tzu
Last edited by Cuchulainn on October 18th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Wheeler

rmax

October 19th, 2015, 9:57 am

QuoteWarfare is not the only application for NM. Consider the office and also romantic endeavors....QuoteConfront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.Sounds a bit full-on for trying to get a date. What is wrong with the smell of a good pipe and some fine wine?

trackstar

October 19th, 2015, 12:09 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteWarfare is not the only application for NM. Consider the office and also romantic endeavors.QuoteConfront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.Sounds a bit full-on for trying to get a date. What is wrong with the smell of a good pipe and some fine wine?I try to avoid that slash and burn approach in office situations too.Ok to be ready for a zombie or robot apocalypse, but there are other states of being.
Last edited by trackstar on October 18th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

October 19th, 2015, 12:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteWarfare is not the only application for NM. Consider the office and also romantic endeavors.QuoteConfront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.Sounds a bit full-on for trying to get a date. What is wrong with the smell of a good pipe and some fine wine?I try to avoid that slash and burn approach in office situations too.Ok to be ready for a zombie or robot apocalypse, but there are other states of being.I like taking one of these with me when travelling. has many uses..
David Wheeler

trackstar

October 19th, 2015, 12:19 pm

This is what I use:The digital pen is mightier than the sword!

Cuchulainn

October 21st, 2015, 3:26 pm

David Wheeler