Re: Habemus codex et ordenadum

May 17th, 2018, 5:28 pm

tagoma wrote:
Any suggestion welcome.  Merci!

https://www.apple.com/mac/

Cuchulainn

May 17th, 2018, 8:43 pm

What about SQLServer. It and Oracle have large market share.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/co ... erver-2017

Cuchulainn

May 17th, 2018, 8:53 pm

tagoma wrote:
outrun wrote:
tagoma wrote:
Now looking into sqlite3. Realizing it comes with Python.

What functionality do you wish for for your storage?

Sqlite3 is a good choice is your database structure is simple and you want to stick to SQL going forward. Using the sqlalchemy library instead of "SQL statements hardcodes in strings" will make you code more portable and less dependent on the specific SQL database backend (sqllite, postgresql,..).

https://www.sqlalchemy.org

Thanks for suggesting sqlalchemy. I first thought it requires an installer and then discarded it, but I'm now seeing it is a standard python package.
I am not sure I understand your question "What functionality do you wish for for your storage?"
Still, my data will probably have 4 dimensions, namely, product, geography, flow, marketing campaign with each dimension probably having nested sub-categories (e.g. along the geography dimension US, US State, US county). Thus, a dimension may be the total for inner-categories.
I also need to specifiy the source of each data point, "as of" date for each data point, and keep track of changes in data points (e.g. May forecast for a specific item can be different from April forecast) -- I call it "versioning" but I'm not sure it is the correct concept/word.

Look like you have fairly complex 1:N data relations? It is almost like a GIS database. Maybe an OO databases (a hype in the mid-90s but they died) would be better. A randomly chosen one is
http://www.zodb.org/en/latest/
No idea if it is any good.

At the time (I used Objectstore; a popular one finance was Infinity)

• no separate language for database operations
  • very little impact on your code to make objects persistent
  • no database mapper that partially hides the database.
    Using an object-relational mapping is not like using an object database.
  • almost no seam between code and database.
  • Relationships between objects are handled very naturally, supporting complex object graphs without joins.

tagoma
Topic Author

May 17th, 2018, 9:26 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
tagoma wrote:
outrun wrote:
What functionality do you wish for for your storage?

Sqlite3 is a good choice is your database structure is simple and you want to stick to SQL going forward. Using the sqlalchemy library instead of "SQL statements hardcodes in strings" will make you code more portable and less dependent on the specific SQL database backend (sqllite, postgresql,..).

https://www.sqlalchemy.org

Thanks for suggesting sqlalchemy. I first thought it requires an installer and then discarded it, but I'm now seeing it is a standard python package.
I am not sure I understand your question "What functionality do you wish for for your storage?"
Still, my data will probably have 4 dimensions, namely, product, geography, flow, marketing campaign with each dimension probably having nested sub-categories (e.g. along the geography dimension US, US State, US county). Thus, a dimension may be the total for inner-categories.
I also need to specifiy the source of each data point, "as of" date for each data point, and keep track of changes in data points (e.g. May forecast for a specific item can be different from April forecast) -- I call it "versioning" but I'm not sure it is the correct concept/word.

Look like you have fairly complex 1:N data relations? It is almost like a GIS database. Maybe an OO databases (a hype in the mid-90s but they died) would be better. A randomly chosen one is
http://www.zodb.org/en/latest/
No idea if it is any good.

At the time (I used Objectstore; a popular one finance was Infinity)

• no separate language for database operations
  • very little impact on your code to make objects persistent
  • no database mapper that partially hides the database.
    Using an object-relational mapping is not like using an object database.
  • almost no seam between code and database.
  • Relationships between objects are handled very naturally, supporting complex object graphs without joins.

Thank you for the suggestion, Cuchulainn. Looking at it, right now!

tagoma
Topic Author

May 18th, 2018, 7:11 am

tagoma wrote:
I now have a Windows (7) command prompt popping each time I start up my computer. It all started after I started to use the Ice Chat thing - a nightmare in any way - . It is Java (can you believe it (Cuch?)?) .
I then tried to get rid of the beast, deleting (savagely, I reckon) all the files relating to that app e.g. in the user/data and /user/AppData.
Unfortunately, I continue to have that prompt popping at computer start.
Where else on my disk the ICE thing is likely to have written?
(I spent some 30 min with ICE support (a human) but it was useless)
Any suggestion welcome.  Merci!

I finally managed to solve this one.
That damn thing launching at start up was in user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

ppauper

May 18th, 2018, 7:42 am

tagoma wrote:
I finally managed to solve this one.
That damn thing launching at start up was in user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

for some reason M$FT puts files all over the place in all sorts of obscure locations many directories deep.
I don't know whether apple is better in that respect, but linux certainly seems to be

tagoma
Topic Author

June 22nd, 2018, 5:50 pm

5 minutes with Lea

By curiosity (I suspect the screen on the right is displaying forward crush margins at LDC plants/assets), is it possible to actually see what's on Lea's screens? Or is the image quality too low? Merci!

tagoma
Topic Author

June 25th, 2018, 9:07 pm

tick

(was retweeted by mcarreira)

This paper introduces tick, is a statistical learning library for Python 3, with a particular emphasis on time-dependent models, such as point processes, tools for generalized linear models and survival analysis. The core of the library provides model computational classes, solvers and proximal operators for regularization. It relies on a C++ implementation and state-of-the-art optimization algorithms to provide very fast computations in a single node multi-core setting. Source code and documentation can be downloaded from https:// github.com/X-DataInitiative/tick. 

tagoma
Topic Author

July 9th, 2018, 10:13 am

Hello. I need to convert images (from pdf files) like the one below to Excel spreadsheet.
Are there cool snippet codes hanging around that would be able to do the trick?
Any other solution for FREE is fine, to be honest. I foremost need the work to be done.

ppauper

July 10th, 2018, 11:40 am

rmax

July 10th, 2018, 12:34 pm

A friend of mine did an OCR  POC for something similar using C# on azure.

tagoma
Topic Author

July 10th, 2018, 5:19 pm

hello. yes i'm after an ocr of some sort.
is your friend's implementation available somewhere, pls?

ppauper

July 10th, 2018, 7:33 pm

there are websites e.g https://www.pdftoexcel.com/     that claim to convert pdf to excel online for free

alternatively, there seems to be a way to do it with adobe acrobat https://acrobat.adobe.com/uk/en/acrobat ... erter.html

tagoma
Topic Author

July 10th, 2018, 8:07 pm

hello ppauper. yes, thanks!
unfortunately the many free online conversion services I have tried out don't work so well (in fairness, pdftoexcel,com has worked well for me in other circumstances).
and the Acrobat products require a license, which result in a a big fat NO!

tagoma
Topic Author

August 16th, 2018, 7:25 am

TF 2.0 is coming

OMG! That's exciting
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...