SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Collector
Topic Author

Lazarus probabilities are buried alive!

January 29th, 2016, 8:19 pm

It looks like tail probabilities are ignored also outside finance:The Lazarus phenomenon"Even though Lazarus phenomenon is rare, it is probably under reported. There is no doubt that Lazarus phenomenon is a reality but so far the scientific explanations have been inadequate.""Judith Johnson, 61, went into cardiac arrest at Beebe Medical Center in Lewes, Delaware, United States, in May 2007. She was given "multiple medicines and synchronized shocks", but never regained a pulse. She was declared dead at 8:34 p.m. but was discovered in the morgue to be alive and breathing. She sued the medical center where it happened for damages due to physical and neurological problems stemming from the event.""Edgar Allan Poe's most hair-raising tale is The Premature Burial, in which a young wife was incorrectly pronounced dead and kept in a coffin in the family vault. When the vault was opened a few years later to receive another coffin, a shrouded skeleton was found in the doorway suggested that the lady had survived and eventually died unable to open the vault door.""In the late 16th century, the body of Matthew Wall was being borne to his grave in Braughing, England. One of the pallbearers tripped, causing the others to drop the coffin, thus reviving the dear departed. Wall lived on for several more years, dying in 1595. He celebrated his 'resurrection' every year. ""In the early 17th century, Marjorie Elphinstone died and was buried in Ardtannies, Scotland. When grave robbers attempted to steal the jewelry interred with her, the deceased surprised the heck out of them by groaning. The robbers fled for their lives, and Elphinstone revived, walked home, and outlived her husband by six years. "Just Dying to Get Out"A coffin was invented and patented in 1897 to allow a person accidentally buried alive to summon help through a system of flags and bells. "And modern coffins don't even have blue tooth? At least they should come with a good book about tail probabilities and a reading lamp!Gaussian Doctors are Dangerous for the Living and the Dead! Can't they even let people rest in peace now and then for some days without sweeping all of them in under the Gaussian carpet!
Last edited by Collector on January 28th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

January 29th, 2016, 8:55 pm

Someone I know very well has worked in the emergency room of large and small hospitals, is trained as an EMT, and also does Wilderness Search and Rescue.She has many, many stories that defy Gaussian curves and expert expectations. Things involving extreme cold, extreme heat, drowning, heart attacks, overdoses (deliberate and accidental), ingestion of chemicals, including lethal levels of alcohol and yet the person is walking around and talking (well, some have been conditioning themselves for years and it will catch up eventually - but you have a BAC (Blood Alcohol Concentration) of 5x the legal limit and you are telling me a joke and asking when you can get the H&** out of here? "And where is my god @#$% cell phone - give it back!" he says...) As slow as we may be to truly evolve, it is amazing how much the body can tolerate beyond normal bands of temperature, trauma, and toxicity.I could give a few concrete examples, but none are quite as colorful as the stories in the original post, so I will leave it there for now.A toast to Lazarus! {wine} (but just one glass - otherwise I fall straight to sleep these days! ;))
Last edited by trackstar on January 28th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector
Topic Author

January 29th, 2016, 8:58 pm

"Empedocles won glory for restoring the dead woman to life" likely well trained in the Lazarus phenomena! And nobody know for sure if Empedocles is dead or alive!
Last edited by Collector on January 28th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

January 29th, 2016, 9:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Collector"Edgar Allan Poe's most hair-raising tale is The Premature Burial, in which a young wife was incorrectly pronounced dead and kept in a coffin in the family vault. When the vault was opened a few years later to receive another coffin, a shrouded skeleton was found in the doorway suggested that the lady had survived and eventually died unable to open the vault door."That is a pathetically poor description of that story. I suggest that the authors of that paper have not read it. Therefore you can safely ignore everything else they have written.P
Last edited by Paul on January 28th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector
Topic Author

January 29th, 2016, 9:04 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulQuoteOriginally posted by: Collector"Edgar Allan Poe's most hair-raising tale is The Premature Burial, in which a young wife was incorrectly pronounced dead and kept in a coffin in the family vault. When the vault was opened a few years later to receive another coffin, a shrouded skeleton was found in the doorway suggested that the lady had survived and eventually died unable to open the vault door."That is a pathetically poor description of that story. I suggest that the authors of that paper have not read it. Therefore you can safely ignore everything else they have written.Pohh interesting! Did they may be mix it all up with stories about schrodinger's cat ;-)

trackstar

January 29th, 2016, 9:05 pm

It is interesting that there are not more formal studies of these things - and also extreme tolerance of physical challenges or altered states in trances. For example: how do firewalkers not only withstand the heat of the burning coals, but their feet do not get burned?That is beyond mind control or self discipline.I think in terms of survival in adversity, bears have the right idea - stock up on lots of calories in the fall and sleep through the winter. Maybe with some human modifications - warm blankets, good books, a glass of cognac now and then. Could be a rowing machine nearby for some people...!A period of quiet hibernation can be very good - and then Spring is on its Way!Spring is the Lazarus of Nature.
Last edited by trackstar on January 28th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

January 29th, 2016, 9:12 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Collector QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulQuoteOriginally posted by: Collector"Edgar Allan Poe's most hair-raising tale is The Premature Burial, in which a young wife was incorrectly pronounced dead and kept in a coffin in the family vault. When the vault was opened a few years later to receive another coffin, a shrouded skeleton was found in the doorway suggested that the lady had survived and eventually died unable to open the vault door."That is a pathetically poor description of that story. I suggest that the authors of that paper have not read it. Therefore you can safely ignore everything else they have written.Pohh interesting! Did they may be mix it all up with stories about schrodinger's cat ;-)The trick is to hypnotise someone just before they die.P

trackstar

January 29th, 2016, 9:16 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulThe trick is to hypnotise someone just before they die.PIs this on your "To Do" list? ;)Well, I am off to a chilly subterranean dungeon for a workout soon. But be well, friends, and the rest of you should stay above ground for now!

Collector
Topic Author

January 29th, 2016, 9:21 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulQuoteOriginally posted by: Collector QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulQuoteOriginally posted by: Collector"Edgar Allan Poe's most hair-raising tale is The Premature Burial, in which a young wife was incorrectly pronounced dead and kept in a coffin in the family vault. When the vault was opened a few years later to receive another coffin, a shrouded skeleton was found in the doorway suggested that the lady had survived and eventually died unable to open the vault door."That is a pathetically poor description of that story. I suggest that the authors of that paper have not read it. Therefore you can safely ignore everything else they have written.Pohh interesting! Did they may be mix it all up with stories about schrodinger's cat ;-)The trick is to hypnotise someone just before they die.Pyou mean hypnotizing the cat to think it is dead and alive? Because my cat refuses to listen when I try to tell it about Schrödinger's cat.

Traden4Alpha

January 29th, 2016, 9:40 pm

I'm sure they underestimate the Lazarus probabilities (assuming Lazarus = "a person who is alive subsequent to being declared dead") from a combination of:1. the non-zero rate of false negatives for the detection of life (equipment failure, human error, or just random chance);2. cessation of care of the near-dead person that then kills them;3. the embarrassment of the medical personnel who fail to report the seeming revival of "dead" patients.The issue of the duration is not as miraculous as might seem because once a person is declared dead, they are no longer monitored for signs of life. Given the dire health effects of what every brought them to a state of near-death, it's not surprising that they might be unconscious and unresponsive after being declared dead. Thus no one would notice extreme shallow breathing as the orderly shifts the "corpse" about.

Traden4Alpha

January 29th, 2016, 9:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorQuoteOriginally posted by: PaulQuoteOriginally posted by: Collector QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulQuoteOriginally posted by: Collector"Edgar Allan Poe's most hair-raising tale is The Premature Burial, in which a young wife was incorrectly pronounced dead and kept in a coffin in the family vault. When the vault was opened a few years later to receive another coffin, a shrouded skeleton was found in the doorway suggested that the lady had survived and eventually died unable to open the vault door."That is a pathetically poor description of that story. I suggest that the authors of that paper have not read it. Therefore you can safely ignore everything else they have written.Pohh interesting! Did they may be mix it all up with stories about schrodinger's cat ;-)The trick is to hypnotise someone just before they die.Pyou mean hypnotizing the cat to think it is dead and alive? Because my cat refuses to listen when I try to tell it about Schrödinger's cat.Your wise cat does not want to get entangled in quantum mechanics. It knows that collapsing wave functions have a 50% mortality rate for felines!Perhaps if you embed quantum mechanics in a ball of yarn, suitable entanglement would occur.

Paul

January 29th, 2016, 9:47 pm

I guess no one reads Poe these days!P

Paul

January 29th, 2016, 9:52 pm

Doctors are strangely stupid. There was a great story in the UK papers today about a doctor doing a Caesarian, shocked to find an empty uterus...because the baby was between the mother's legs. P

Collector
Topic Author

January 29th, 2016, 10:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulI guess no one reads Poe these days!PYou are right Valdemar!

trackstar

January 29th, 2016, 10:49 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorQuoteOriginally posted by: PaulI guess no one reads Poe these days!PYou are right Valdemar!Valdemar - there is a Valdemar Universe - kind of fantasy fiction land filled with unicorns, gryphons, and dragons.But you might be thinking of Voldemort - Some might say that he is more like Paul - the Dark Lord of Wilmott-land, both creator and destroyer of magical worlds. :DLord Voldemort first appeared in HP and the Philosophers Stone, but his image is too scary to put here, so this is a substitution.And yet there is a third possibility:"Waldemar or Valdemar is an Old German noble male given name of Old Slavic origin that means "renowned ruler" (literally, "fame" + "power"). The name is a Germanised version of Slavonic name Vladimir. It was introduced into Scandinavia by the 12th-century Danish king Waldemar (or Valdemar)."Ah, so Danish and English - an illustrious history there. "Doubt thou the stars are fire;Doubt that the sun doth move;Doubt truth to be a liar;But never doubt that..."Oh look, there flies a dove!Now for a cup of soothing chamomile-vanilla tea and a little science fiction before sleep!
Last edited by trackstar on January 29th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On