Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Re: Lazarus probabilities are buried alive!

July 5th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Anyone here with Taphophobia

"Before the advent of modern medicine, the fear was not entirely irrational. "

Luckily we now have modern medicine!!
Most people have a fear of being in a coffin when dead.

Collector
Topic Author

July 28th, 2018, 10:46 am

probably happen even more often with animals (that also can hibernate)

"One day a turtle walked in the front door. He hadn't been moving or eating in over a week. There was no way to get a heartbeat... He concluded he was dead, so the owner went ahead and buried him.

Two months later while his owner was doing the dishes, he had risen from the dead. Turns out Kev was just hibernating."

https://www.therock.net.nz/home/shows/t ... igure.html

"The things they don't teach vets these days..."

vets are interested in mathematical biology and AI these days, but many dont know anymore that many animals can hibernate.. it is outside their model!

buried alive in the model!

Collector
Topic Author

September 9th, 2018, 10:48 am

"Indian snake bite victim whose body was about to be burnt on a funeral pyre 'comes back from the dead' as fire is started."

"As they lit funeral pyre he started moaning and they realised he was alive"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ealer.html

some older texts starts to make much sense...

ppauper

November 15th, 2018, 12:27 pm

Indian man, 95, comes back to life during his funeral rites
Budh Ram's son, Ranjit, said it was a joy for the family, as they would not have celebrated Diwali following a death, but now, "the celebrations are going to be grand".

Collector
Topic Author

November 15th, 2018, 1:11 pm

when will they understand that humans have hibernation years? this is what happen when lost the instruction manual.

Survivorship bias gets a new meaning.

ppauper

January 14th, 2019, 7:04 am

Collector
Topic Author

January 14th, 2019, 5:50 pm

"It was found that she had suffered from ‘extreme cold’ in the morgue, chief doctor "   sounds almost as cold as ice bathing.

how many almost dead drunken have died because they have been incorrectly declared dead? This story is likely just the tip of the bottle!

Drink home alone, always lock the door!!!

Collector
Topic Author

January 29th, 2019, 8:04 pm

"Greek scholars later wrote that in the days after his death, Alexander's body didn't decompose, proving the warrior king was a god. But Dr Hall says this may have been because he was in fact still alive."

ppauper

February 1st, 2019, 10:18 am

An Ethiopian man who woke up in his coffin during his burial two months ago has died.
Hirpha Negero was pronounced dead in November and was placed inside a coffin, where he lay for five hours, but during the funeral villagers heard knocking from inside the coffin.
Mr Hirpha told the BBC at the time what he experienced:
Quote Message: I heard someone crying. I was suffocating and trying to tear away the shroud. I was so weak, unable to speak out."
I heard someone crying. I was suffocating and trying to tear away the shroud. I was so weak, unable to speak out."
Then he said he managed to start calling, "Is there anybody around?"
The village undertaker Etana Kena said that people were shocked and ran away and he had had to open the coffin alone.
After the initial shock, the burial ceremony then turned into a celebration.
The undertaker, who is also Mr Hirpha’s uncle, said: “I have buried more than 50 or 60 bodies. I have never anything seen like this before. He seemed to be dead.”
Mr Hirpha said he had had visions when he was unconscious of “a beautiful green place” where a man dressed in white told him to "go back".
Dr Birra Leggese told the BBC that Mr Hirpha had probably been in a “deep coma”.
The same undertaker buried Mr Negero for the second time on Thursday, one day after he died.
He said that this time he was certain his nephew was dead because he had witnessed his long sickness.

Collector
Topic Author

February 1st, 2019, 10:39 am

An Ethiopian man who woke up in his coffin during his burial two months ago has died.
Hirpha Negero was pronounced dead in November and was placed inside a coffin, where he lay for five hours, but during the funeral villagers heard knocking from inside the coffin.
   Quote Message: I heard someone crying. I was suffocating and trying to tear away the shroud. I was so weak, unable to speak out."
   I heard someone crying. I was suffocating and trying to tear away the shroud. I was so weak, unable to speak out."
The village undertaker Etana Kena said that people were shocked and ran away and he had had to open the coffin alone.
The undertaker, who is also Mr Hirpha’s uncle, said: “I have buried more than 50 or 60 bodies. I have never anything seen like this before. He seemed to be dead.”
Mr Hirpha said he had had visions when he was unconscious of “a beautiful green place” where a man dressed in white told him to "go back".
Dr Birra Leggese told the BBC that Mr Hirpha had probably been in a “deep coma”.
The same undertaker buried Mr Negero for the second time on Thursday, one day after he died.
He said that this time he was certain his nephew was dead because he had witnessed his long sickness.
it can be quite shocking to be buried alive, so it can kill you actually. How many times can one take such a shock that friends, family and doctors declare one dead while still alive. Some people are actually conscious about the outside world when in such hibernation type state, but can not signal out. 

I just heard about such story in my home town, they where bringing a dead person to the church by horse (quite some years back), then from the coffin the person waked up when the horse wagon went over a big bump. Back to the farm. And people want smooth roads ?

tw

April 17th, 2019, 9:15 pm

creepy experiments

but fascinating.

katastrofa

April 17th, 2019, 9:57 pm

Definitely watch Futurama, if you haven't seen it yet. I can lend you the complete series collection. It's becoming Presecama.

Cuchulainn

April 17th, 2019, 10:27 pm

it can be quite shocking to be buried alive, so it can kill you actually. How many times can one take such a shock that friends, family and doctors declare one dead while still alive. Some people are actually conscious about the outside world when in such hibernation type state, but can not signal out. 

I just heard about such story in my home town, they where bringing a dead person to the church by horse (quite some years back), then from the coffin the person waked up when the horse wagon went over a big bump. Back to the farm. And people want smooth roads ?
It's a good excuse for a party (BTW see Arlene Foster @0.07)

Collector
Topic Author

April 18th, 2019, 12:30 am

dead women talking

Norway 2019 "A woman found dead in a snow quarry in February was declared dead at Molde Hospital. When the police came to check the case, she turned out to be alive." "the policeman who came to the place got a shock, when the allegedly dead woman gave off a sound."

"En kvinne som ble funnet livløs i en snøskavl i februar, ble erklært død på Molde sykehus. Da politiet kom for å sjekke saken, viste det seg at hun var i live." "politimannen som kom til stedet seg en støkk, da den angivelig døde kvinnen ga fra seg en lyd. "

https://www.nrk.no/mr/ble-erklaert-dod- ... 1.14476940

and how many are frozen to death while alive, but after declared dead? Never die during the beginning of the easter, less likely someone see you move in the freezer as even the police are on holiday, or out giving speeding tickets.

seriously, how many people alive declared dead likely die due to declared dead and put in the freezer or grave?  I would expect minimum as many as are discovered alive after declared dead.