Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

memegame
Topic Author

Exit opportunities for a Quant Analyst/Quant Trader

August 26th, 2016, 8:06 am

Hello, I'm a graduate student pursuing a Masters in Europe, and I'm looking into a career in finance as a quant. However I'm the kind of person who likes to have as many open doors available as possible, therefore I was wondering what kind of career can you move to if you are tired of finance. How easy is it to to switch to insurance for example, or to tech (as a data scientist) ? I was initially planning to major in Quantitative Finance, but now I'm thinking I should go instead with Machine Learning with a few elective courses on Quant Finance here and there. What do you think ?

Hansi

Re: Exit opportunities for a Quant Analyst/Quant Trader

August 26th, 2016, 1:07 pm

You can do whatever you think you'll enjoy most. No one is going to give you accurate concrete live advice on an internet about these kind of choices. 

DominicConnor

August 27th, 2016, 6:13 pm

There are a lot of vairables here, what is your undergrad and what sort of Masters are you doing ?

memegame
Topic Author

August 28th, 2016, 1:18 pm

There are a lot of vairables here, what is your undergrad and what sort of Masters are you doing ?
The higher education system is a bit strange in France, but let's just say that my undergrad is focused on Math and my Masters is a MSc in Applied Math, it covers many topics (stats, optimization, numerical methods, stochastic calculus), and I can choose to focus on Quantitative Finance or Data Science/machine learning.