Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

FICCWannabe
Topic Author

What is it like being a Fixed Income/Commodity Quant?

February 8th, 2017, 3:03 am

I currently have been working for 2+ years at an asset management firm as a multi-asset risk analyst. I recently taken a liking towards fixed income and commodities due to the nature of these asset classes and the sense that there is more alpha in these than equities (which imo is fairly crowded). My question is, how can I switch careers, what is a daily life like and how does the role differ compared to an equities quant in terms of skills? Also, how many researchers cover commodities and does it require different skills than fixed income (Do commodity researchers analyze futures markets/technical analysis or use fundamental oriented research such as looking at energy companies?)

Thanks in advance.

CommodityQuant

Re: What is it like being a Fixed Income/Commodity Quant?

March 3rd, 2017, 10:43 am

I was a Quantitative Analyst for a commodities desk and so I feel equipped to answer.  Of course, I wouldn't divulge any proprietary info.  However, even
to say the roles I was performing is more public information than I feel like divulging to the whole world.  So yes, I can help you, but only on a PM basis.  Feel free to PM me at your convenience.

CommodityQuant