Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

thorax159
Topic Author

Msc Statistics Quant Position in London

December 26th, 2017, 4:08 pm

Hello Everybody,

First and foremost, Merry Christmas!

I am looking for an advice please regarding a career orientation I am very keen to take in the following years by potentially undertaking a masters degree in Statistics.

My Background:

Academic Background: Masters In Financial Engineering (good grades from a non target university in Western Europe, but still considered as good in my country)
Quantitative classes taken so far in Bachelor and Masters:
-Linear Algebra
-Analysis (univariate and multivariate except differential equations)
-Probability Theory
-Statistics (descriptive, Inferential and different regression models)
-Stochastic Calculus and Financial Mathematics
-Matlab Programming
-Financial Economics
-Risk Modeling (strong emphasis on econometrics)

My main interests in a Master in Statistics would be non parametric statistics, Bayesian analysis, Machine Learning and also learn one or two additional programming languages ( R and C++/Python).

But here is the main problem :in so far I have only two opportunities for a masters in Statistics (due to financial and time constraints).One in the Imperial College of London (highly doubtable that I will be admitted) and another in my country ( KU Leuven). I would like to ask several questions please:

1.Is it still possible to get a quant position (portfolio management and trading) in my age with only Masters Degrees?
2.Is it possible to get a quant position (especially in London) with an MsC In Statistics from a non target anglo-sphere university?
3.What are the statistical areas mostly seeked today for quant positions?

Thank you very much for your time and help!

Hansi

Re: Msc Statistics Quant Position in London

December 26th, 2017, 5:20 pm

1) Yes. 
2) Doable but needs so relevant work experience on top. You'll not pass most HR CV screening for direct from uni.
3) Same as the last 10 years really, old school traditional vs ML being the core two focus path.

thorax159
Topic Author

January 1st, 2018, 2:18 pm

Hi Hansi,

Thank you very much for your answer.

Just one additional question please:

By traditional path you mean : Inferential stats, stochastic calculus,regressions and econometrics?

ppauper

January 1st, 2018, 7:16 pm

I am looking for an advice please regarding a career orientation I am very keen to take in the following years by potentially undertaking a masters degree in Statistics.

My Background:

Academic Background: Masters In Financial Engineering (good grades from a non target university in Western Europe, but still considered as good in my country)
(snip)
1.Is it still possible to get a quant position (portfolio management and trading) in my age with only Masters Degrees?
2.Is it possible to get a quant position (especially in London) with an MsC In Statistics from a non target anglo-sphere university?
3.What are the statistical areas mostly seeked today for quant positions?
1) Yes.
2) Doable but needs so relevant work experience on top. You'll not pass most HR CV screening for direct from uni.
3) Same as the last 10 years really, old school traditional vs ML being the core two focus path.

I'm assuming that he wouldn't be asking this if he was able to get a job with the MFE he already has, but how much value-added is there with an MSc in stats if he already has an MFE?