Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

quantox
Topic Author

Guidance for a scientist entering the field

April 28th, 2018, 2:07 am

Hey guys. New on here, hoping someone sees this who perhaps took a similar path, or can refer me. 

What I want to do:
1. Switch careers to some type of quant. finance role.

My Situation/relevant experience:
1. Have PhD in space physics and scientific computing (4 publications at a reputable univ., if it matters..), currently working in space/aerospace industry 
2. Have 4 years additional work experience as a data scientist at both startup and large bureaucracy (machine learning, computer modeling, project management)
3. 10+ years coding and scripting experience in mostly python but also 4-5 other languages
4. Used to be a "professional" poker player (the online statistics/probability nerd type). 
5. I realized this may be a good career path for me given 1-4 and the fact that in my free time I write computer simulations to model probabilistic currency systems in video games.
6. My only real experience in this area is a 1st year graduate level mathematical finance course I took 7 years ago.

Advice I am looking for:
1. Approach to learning quant. finance from scratch for someone with a technical background, including a survey of possible options. I've been learning about options trading, but mostly a blank slate here.
2. Overview of areas of the field my skillset might be most useful or valuable.

Thanks!

ISayMoo

Re: Guidance for a scientist entering the field

April 28th, 2018, 7:29 pm

Try quant trading first, you'll have more fun. The poker player thing on your CV makes you attractive as a junior trader candidate.