SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

alpher
Topic Author

Possible to find freelance job in fintech for as low as $5/hour?

December 16th, 2018, 8:37 pm

This is a serious question, yet maybe desperate one too,  so I just post it here without spending the time to look for the best 'forum category to post'. 

So if you have skills in C#/C++/AI computer vision and etc can you find a low paid project that can be started at least from "distance"/freelance (with option to relocate maybe). 

Places like upwork are horrible, these days they won't even let you sign up, I miss the days of rent-a-coder and odesk... 

Thanks!

Paul

Re: Possible to find freelance job in fintech for as low as $5/hour?

December 16th, 2018, 10:27 pm

We moved the post to the correct forum. I hope your coding isn’t this lazy!

ISayMoo

December 18th, 2018, 5:37 pm

The best coders are lazy.

Paul

December 18th, 2018, 5:41 pm

Profound.

alpher
Topic Author

December 18th, 2018, 7:30 pm

There is a quote by Bill Gates about hiring lazy people, but I'm not telling you what said quote is...because I'm lazy and because people who aren't lazy should google it...and when you google it you won't be pleasantly surprised (despite being a non-lazy person). 

katastrofa

December 21st, 2018, 1:21 am

Bill Gates once said that he would always "hire a lazy person to do a difficult job" at Microsoft. Why? "Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it."

Because I don't give a rat's arse what Gates says (the above is an obvious nonsense).

Alan

December 21st, 2018, 6:20 pm

katastrofa

December 21st, 2018, 7:42 pm

I guess you're right, because I'm even too stupid to understand the first sentence: "New research seems to prove the theory that brainy people spend more time lazing around than their active counterparts."

alpher
Topic Author

December 22nd, 2018, 7:41 pm

@katastrofa: 

He is literally carrying his sh*t around in a jar...but hey I bet the richest person(~5 years ago) in the world who also coded algo that wasn't improved for over 30 years also gives even less rats what you think about him. 

katastrofa

December 23rd, 2018, 12:35 am

It's quite comforting that people don't waste time on optimising useless algorithms, isn't it. (Fascinating story about the jar.)

Cuchulainn

January 6th, 2019, 11:54 am

Profound.
"Lazy" is a euphemism for unprofessional in this case (mostly, lack of decent documentation).. And of course, copy-and-paste mindset. Now, that is lazy. Think of Arianne-5 (the rocket).

An engineer, a mathematician, and a computer programmer are driving down the road when the car they are in gets a flat tire.  The engineer
says that they should buy a new car.  The mathematician says they should sell the old tire and buy a new one.  The computer programmer
says they should drive the car around the block and see if the tire fixes itself.

Cuchulainn

January 6th, 2019, 12:03 pm

There is a quote by Bill Gates about hiring lazy people, but I'm not telling you what said quote is...because I'm lazy and because people who aren't lazy should google it...and when you google it you won't be pleasantly surprised (despite being a non-lazy person). 
I'm with kata. I wish people would stop quoting other people (exceptions Oscar W. and JJ and Charles Caleb Colton).

Cuchulainn

January 6th, 2019, 12:46 pm

Never postpone anything to tomorrow that you can't delegate to someone today!

katastrofa

January 9th, 2019, 7:00 am

I'm with kata. I wish people would stop quoting other people (exceptions Oscar W. and JJ and Charles Caleb Colton).
The only appropriate quote in this particular context (glass/rectal category) of which you'd approve must be then from "Teleny".

Cuchulainn

January 9th, 2019, 9:32 am

In my book, it is allowed -,and even encouraged
  • Einstein repeatedly argued that there must be simplified explanations of nature, because God is not capricious or arbitrary. No such faith comforts the software engineer. Much of the complexity he must master is arbitrary complexity […] because they were designed by different people, rather than by God. 
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On