Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

billyx524
Topic Author

Interview Question

June 3rd, 2019, 4:15 am

Hi, 

I have been a risk quant for a few years, and I am looking to move into trading.  I have had a couple of job interviews, and I have been asked "Why do you want to move into trading".  My answer would be "I have been in risk modeling for a long time, the work is mostly for regulatory purposes.  I enjoy the quantitative aspect of it, but I would like to gain exposure to the business side of financial markets.  I am a very ambitious person, I enjoy taking calculated risks as you can see from my experience in xxx, and I think I would strive in a high pressure, fast paced environment.  Therefore, I think trading would be a good option for my career.

Would this be a good response?  

Many Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

multivariatecopula

Re: Interview Question

June 3rd, 2019, 9:38 pm

seconded, i am in the same position, although I just started in risk management I would like to switch to buy-side quant research ASAP

bearish

June 3rd, 2019, 10:43 pm

While the question may appear to ask about your feelings and what will make you happy, I would work on coming up with an answer that is focused on what you can contribute to the desk/business/firm. This is a matter of personal style, but I'm not sure that describing yourself as very ambitious comes across that well. I'd reformulate it into a willingness to work hard and do what it takes to succeed. And I'm pretty sure you mean thrive when you say strive. Good luck with the search!

billyx524
Topic Author

June 6th, 2019, 1:10 am

While the question may appear to ask about your feelings and what will make you happy, I would work on coming up with an answer that is focused on what you can contribute to the desk/business/firm. This is a matter of personal style, but I'm not sure that describing yourself as very ambitious comes across that well. I'd reformulate it into a willingness to work hard and do what it takes to succeed. And I'm pretty sure you mean thrive when you say strive. Good luck with the search!
Thanks Bearish!  Much appreciated.

Gamal

June 24th, 2019, 6:20 am

Try to find a deeper reason why you want to move to trading, look into yourself, your answer may impress your interviewer. 

ISayMoo

June 25th, 2019, 9:52 pm

Would "I want to make the world a better place" work?

bearish

June 26th, 2019, 1:19 am

I'm going to say no, unless he happens to be interviewing with a latter day Milton Friedman disciple.

Gamal

June 26th, 2019, 6:05 am

Would "I want to make the world a better place" work?
No if I was the interviewer. First of all - we all f*ck the world and I definitely don't trust people who don't f*ck the world. Environmentalists, right or left activists, vegans, animal or minority right defenders, religious or antireligious maniacs, I keep them away. Being loyal to the employer is enough.

Secondly - people are conventional, they repeat what they saw on tv. I'd like to hear a frank answer. Being frank is very important while working with a team.

katastrofa

June 26th, 2019, 7:55 pm

We are guns to, just pointed in the opposite direction ;-)

ISayMoo

June 26th, 2019, 8:57 pm

Gamal has the hiring criteria of a Mafia boss.

Gamal

June 28th, 2019, 9:45 am

They are efficient in business, aren't they?