Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

NickM2930
Topic Author

Does anyone know the names of Hedge Funds in the Manhattan area that I can't find with a google search.

November 19th, 2019, 8:18 pm

I'm looking to work as a trader at a hedge fund in Manhattan in the New York City area. I have a degree in Economics. I have experience trading my own money through the discount brokerage Charles Schwab so I know a bit about the psychology of trading and using technical analysis. I know there must be lots of small hedge funds that don't have a big website presence and it would be great if anyone on the site can refer me to them. Also if there are any hedge funds in the Manhattan area looking to recruit that are active on this site, I'd like to have a chat with them. Thanks in advance for the help.
Last edited by NickM2930 on November 20th, 2019, 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

bearish

Re: Does anyone know the names of Hedge Funds in the Manhattan area that I can't find with a google search.

November 19th, 2019, 11:33 pm

OK - not exactly a hedge fund, but they're in the investment management business, seem credible, and the location is right: https://cgnadvisors.com/about-us.

NickM2930
Topic Author

Re: Does anyone know the names of Hedge Funds in the Manhattan area that I can't find with a google search.

November 20th, 2019, 5:57 am

Hi Bearish, Thanks for the post but I meant Manhattan in the New York City area sorry that I didn't make it clear. The company seems interesting and I'll keep that as one of my options.

Cuchulainn

November 20th, 2019, 9:07 pm

OK - not exactly a hedge fund, but they're in the investment management business, seem credible, and the location is right: https://cgnadvisors.com/about-us.
I suppose "Equities in Dallas" is a non-runner?

bearish

November 21st, 2019, 12:23 am

Hi Bearish, Thanks for the post but I meant Manhattan in the New York City area sorry that I didn't make it clear. The company seems interesting and I'll keep that as one of my options.
OK - you seem to be taking this in good spirit. Your original post has some issues, and geographic precision is not near the top of the list. Wanting to become a hedge fund trader has a very 90's sound to it. Early to mid 90's to be more precise. What do you want to trade? Why a hedge fund? Why not a bank or a traditional asset manager? Why a trader and not a portfolio manager? Are you aware that most trading in many markets is done by computer algorithms these days? From my experience hanging around trading desks for the last 25-odd years, it's not at all clear that either your economics degree or your personal account trading experience counts in your favor, let alone qualifies you for a trading job. On the topic of small hedge funds, they have fundamental structural problems these days, as costs have gone up (data feeds and compliance, in particular) and fees are coming down. Most of them fail to reach critical mass before running out of money. It's a bit like the restaurant business, really. And, no, they don't usually need inexperienced traders. 

NickM2930
Topic Author

November 21st, 2019, 4:49 am

Hi Bearish,
You make some good points and pose some thought provoking questions that I'll consider. I'm particularly familiar with equities and the reason I wanted to focus on hedge funds is because for the most part at least from what I know they are smaller than a traditional bank and don't have the bureaucracies that come with that. Basically they're less hierarchical based on my conversations from people in the financial field. I honestly didn't think about being a portfolio manager. Yes I know that program trading is a big factor in the markets. I'm curious what roles have you done around the trading desks? I'd like to pick your brain. And I didn't know about the issues that small hedge funds have. Thanks for being honest at least I'm more well informed. I used to work at a private equity firm and one of the partners there said I should consider working at a hedge fund so that's part of the reason I wanted to focus on hedge funds. I had a long conversation with the partner about hedge funds and he steered my focus in that direction. Based on your post I realize that I have a lot more to learn.