Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

TheStranger
Topic Author

Looking for some advice yet again

February 22nd, 2020, 8:31 am

2 years later I'm again back on this career forum. Can't seem to find any satisfaction and as I get older, moving to the buy-side or a change in career path looks a distant possibility. My passport makes things worse as all discussions with recruiters ends with the question, "do you need visa sponsorship?". I can only work in one of the major financial hubs (the least important one) and all the decent jobs from there are being sent away to low cost locations. I'm myself in such a location in Europe and although initially I had told myself to stick around at one firm for long to see if there could be an internal move, things are getting increasingly intolerable now. 

I've been in Rates valuations methodology for most of my career but wouldn't call myself a Quant. I'm decent with Python/R and other languages typically used in statistics/econometrics, but have no inclination to learn C++. Could someone point out if a move to Market risk would be an upward journey and can I start at the same level or would no one interview me if I don't have words like VaR, FRTB, etc on my CV? I'm afraid this move to a non-hub has made things worse and I might get stuck forever. Any advice on how to get out if I don't even get interviews anywhere other than similar low cost locations? (I do have big firm names and decently known schools on my CV, if that matters at all) 

And secondly, do recruiters/hiring manager take Linkedin profiles seriously to validate what you've on your CV? Sometimes I've seen they come to my profile after getting my CV but don't call afterwards. I don't update my LinkedIn because I've mostly been ashamed of how far down I've come. 

I have also been learning ML by myself, although haven't done much on Kaggle, etc. This is a field where I'm less reluctant to start at the bottom, but I don't want to end up reporting to someone from whom I can't learn anything and they're only at top because they joined earlier. 

Cuchulainn

Re: Looking for some advice yet again

February 22nd, 2020, 7:26 pm

but have no inclination to learn C++

Why?

TheStranger
Topic Author

February 22nd, 2020, 10:23 pm

Why?
Too late to be good at that......And even if I could master C++ while coding at home, no one's gonna give a chance to a mid-career professional who doesn't bring in experience in C++ from another role. if I can't get interviews for roles for skills that I already have, I don't see the point of picking up something new. Of course, the last sentence doesn't apply to learning ML/Data science. I do the latter out of interest and I enjoy it. I won't think of it as a waste of time if I never get a role in it. 

bearish

February 23rd, 2020, 3:51 pm

I tend to agree with your C++ reasoning. On the other hand, I am of the firm opinion that if you are going to have a LinkedIn account you should keep it up-to-date, especially if you are looking for another job. You should also make sure you populate it with relevant keywords that will increase the chance of relevant recruiters finding you. 

TheStranger
Topic Author

February 23rd, 2020, 5:59 pm

I tend to agree with your C++ reasoning. On the other hand, I am of the firm opinion that if you are going to have a LinkedIn account you should keep it up-to-date, especially if you are looking for another job. You should also make sure you populate it with relevant keywords that will increase the chance of relevant recruiters finding you. 
Thanks, Bearish. I'll update it a little with current role, etc. 

Are there any kind of credible recruiters' services which help in a more dedicated manner in getting interviews in a specified time frame (for a fee)? Specially for roles that are not advertised on eFC or LinkedIn. I've also been thinking of applying for the QMAS program in HK, although not sure how good is it , i.e. even if I get the work visa, someone might reject me for not speaking Cantonese. 

Cuchulainn

February 23rd, 2020, 7:37 pm

Why?
Too late to be good at that......And even if I could master C++ while coding at home, no one's gonna give a chance to a mid-career professional who doesn't bring in experience in C++ from another role. if I can't get interviews for roles for skills that I already have, I don't see the point of picking up something new. Of course, the last sentence doesn't apply to learning ML/Data science. I do the latter out of interest and I enjoy it. I won't think of it as a waste of time if I never get a role in it. 
You've got a point there. C# seems to popular, it's as good (if not better) than C++, learning curve is less steep and productivity levels are high.
The point about R, Matlab and Python is that almost everyone knows them. And everyone claims to be doing ML. MFE and MSc students learn it..

I am investigating Julia, who knows in the future.

https://forum.wilmott.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=102218&p=854752#p854752

There don't seem to be many 'hot topics' these days..